Thread: Domus Collis

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Default Domus Collis

House of Collis

VERITAS ROMANITAS VIRTUS

The House of the Collis is rather spartan, and modest, the family has never been wealthy and there are few slaves. The commander himself, Equilianus has no wife or children, thus the house is rather quiet, dull and stoic. There are weapons and armour in the forum, and a small stables adjoining the house. At the entrance is a mosaic of a horse's head, Equilianus' own crest, one of the few vanities he affords himself. There are wolf skins by the fireplace, reading and writing materials, including Greek subjects. In the centre of the house is a pleasant garden with fruit trees and herbs, including jasmine which gives off a beautiful scent in the evenings, reminiscent of the families meagre agricultural estates. When Equilianus is not overseeing the fields and not training with his troops, can be seen resting by the fire and enjoying his garden.

Collis Family - Admission by Request

Little is known of the Collis family, other than that they are an old family which takes its name from the Seven Hills of the city. The family's modest wealth has perhaps detracted from their potential fame in the past. In living memory the Collis men and the families whom they have aligned themselves with are strictly from the military, both the legions and the navy. They are respected amongst centurions and tribunes alike for their Virtus, Romanitas, and Veritas. The letters VRV have become something of a motto for the family, used by their soldiers and can be seen on their properties- a modest but stoic statement that they will defend themselves as well as their nation, when interlopers seek to challenge them. With the current political climate in Rome, this may well lead to their downfall or in fact be just the kind of morality the senate needs if it is to survive the coming storm.

Patrician:
    Equilianus Collis Lupus

Branch: Agricultural
    Current Office: Sub-Commander of Legion VI under the Legate Consul Gnaeus Julius Iulus
    Traits: +3 Battle

Collis Family Income & Estates

Year 1: Wed 5 Oct
    5,000 (starting money)
    +2,750 (Income from Agricultural Branch: Tier I: Basic Class A)
    TOTAL: 7750

Last edited by Hengest; October 06, 2016 at 03:22 PM.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Domus Collis

Consul Gnaeus Julius Iulus arrives to speak with Collis Lupus.

"Consul!" Equilianus walked down the few steps from the portico which was flanked by frescoes of Mars and Minerva. He wore the red soldier's tunic of his office, and beneath that, simple brown braccae. No robes of the citizen or the senate.

"Salve. Do you come as a fellow senator or as a friend?" He stretched out his hand to grasp Julius' forearm. "And may I congratulate you on your accession to the Curia."

The slave that had guided the consul stepped back with bowed head. The other slave that had alerted his master to the guest, was an older woman, tall, well-built, fair-haired, with piercing eyes, perhaps Gaulish. Although a mere ancillia, or possibly a vilica she was clearly the symbolic matron of the house, amongst an abundance of keys at her belt was also a short broad dagger, with a Gallic flourish on the hilt of a head and two stylised arms. It was not uncommon amongst veteran soldiers, although usually taken as trophies. Equilianus carried one that was identical, its twin, strapped along his belt on the small of his back, an old habit from campaign. The slave stood behind Equilianus ready to serve food or wine. She watched the Iulus carefully.
    Last edited by Hengest; October 06, 2016 at 10:24 AM.

Consil Iulus smiled at the soldier. He wore an ornate chestplate made from bronze, as well as bronze grieves and bracers along with the traditional Roman war kilt. Strapped to his waist was an ornate gladius. He held an ornate helmet - crested with a horse hair crest. On his back he wore a purple cloak, embroidered with gold thread to signify his rank.

"I am here on business, I'm afraid, Collis. I am in the need of a Tribune Laticlavus for one of the Legions under my command. Who better to ask than one of the most renowned military houses in Rome?"
    Last edited by The Mad Skylord; October 06, 2016 at 02:35 PM.

Equilianus looked down, in thought. "I see, Consul. Please join me in the atrium." He walked with his guest up the steps into the house. "The impluvium is a little dry, I'm afraid, I have only just returned home and I had my slaves with me." He turned to the Iulus, "I wasn't expecting guests, I thought the senate would be too busy with all that is going on, right now." He gestured to his slave woman, and food and drink was brought out. "But I am honoured, I would like to take up the tribune's cloak again. Which legion will it be this time?"

"We are, I have no time to eat or drink. If you accept we must be away immediately. We have reports the enemy gathers at Volterrae. You'll be serving in the IV. I am Legate of the IV, but as I am the overall commander of the division you shall be taking direct command of the Legion as Tribune Laticlavus. If you accept, then I suggest you get your armour together quickly and hurry to the camp."

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Skylord View Post
    "We are, I have no time to eat or drink. If you accept we must be away immediately. We have reports the enemy gathers at Volterrae. You'll be serving in the IV. I am Legate of the IV, but as I am the overall commander of the division you shall be taking direct command of the Legion as Tribune Laticlavus. If you accept, then I suggest you get your armour together quickly and hurry to the camp."
    He nodded to his ancilia, and smiled at his commander. "Just the way I like to fight. Very well, I will command the legion in your name and answer to you directly." His slaves came under their mistress's direction, three men carrying cuirass and a crested helmet, hobnailed shoes, greaves, a sword and belt, even vambraces. It looked too much for three men to carry, let alone one man to wear. "I ride north."

"Good man. I shall meet you at the Castrum"

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Claudius Aemilius Lepidus arrives for a audience