Thread: Westeros Tournament 2016 Coverage

Parafix's Avatar I have this stick...
    Blog Entries

Default Westeros Tournament 2016 Coverage

Coverage, Statistics & Discussion
    This thread is here for open discussion on the tournament and for players to track each hotseat without having to jump to each separate thread.
    This thread is to remain peaceful and sportsmanlike, any post Gaming Staff consider unwarranted or in poor form, shall be deleted.
    To sign up for the tournament, click here.

Hotseats
    Players highlighted in green are the winners for each game, players highlighted in red are disqualified from future rounds

Mithridate (20 Points)
    Joerock (105 Points)
    Dragon (0 Points)
    Themzr (0 Points)
    Dux

Alertoverlord
    (10 points)
    Luume (20 points)
    Proto_Kyzer (0 points)
    Blue1924 (85 points)

Kilicarslan33 (120 points)
    xXAmonXx (20 points)
    Misafeco (0 points)
    Narsil_Shards (10 points)

Berryknight (5 points)
    Ramble12 (60 points)
    Zender9 (5 points)
    Saleska2 (70 points)

JCdestroyer (0 points)
    Oathsworn (10 points)
    Zkarel (100 points)
    captainnorway (60 points)

Semi-Finals and Finals

The semi-finals will consist of the top 12 players (point) wise. Below will be the list of qualifying people for the next round.
    (This is subject to change after the results of hotseat 1)

1.Kilicarlsan
    2.Joerock
    3.JCdestroyer
    4.Saleska2
    5. Blue1924
    6. Captainnorway
    7.Ramble12
    8.Themzr
    9.Luume
    10.Berryknight
    11.Misafeco
    12.xXAmonXx
    13.Dragon
    14.Narsil_Shards

Rewards
    Winners from each round will be eligible for one of the specific rewards posted below.
    The bonus reward remains for the duration of the tournament, semi finalist winners will able to gain +2 for the finals if they had won the qualifiers.
    It may not be changed (Semi-Finals & Finals will be the same bonus)
    So choose wisely!

1. An extra two forts (in total) allowed within games
    2. A custom general with nightfighter trait
    3. An extra War Galley & Galley
    4. An additional princess with equal stats to current
    5. An additional 5000 starting gold

Video Coverage
    Podcast / Tournament overview by Soul & Parafix for each hotseat.
    (This will happen, we've just been busy / super lazy)

Rule & Mod Discussion
    Submod
    The submod that will be used will be the modified version of New Beginnings that is being used in Middlebloods.
    Changes will be made prior for tournament use.
    Once the submod is out, semi-finalists will have four weeks to test / bug test with the GS hosts and may post below what they believe needs tweaking.

Rules
    Certain rules will be up for discussion, such as the implementation of spies, siege equipment, bribes, princess steals, merchants etc.
    Things such as exploiting AR will not be up for discussion, but we shall expand the ruling to make it clear.
    Likewise with other rules, and known glitches / exploits will be stated that they are banned.
    General rulings such as posting pictures of enemy locations which don't involve battles will also be strictly banned.
    The Admin decision is always final, if an admin believes an exploit has been used and is not stated in the rules, they have every right to refuse allowance of that turn, much like every other HS.

Rewards
    Leather bound A Song of Ice and Fire collection
    20 reputation
    Gaming Medal
    Customized signature
    Last edited by Parafix; May 09, 2017 at 12:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Westeros Tournament 2016 Coverage

Reserved.

Captainnorway's Avatar Primicerius

when will we see video coverage? and how will it be done?
    also when can we expect an update on the statistics from the brackets?

Blog Entries

Need to discuss it with Soul, also will be updating it all tomorrow (day off work, yay me)

themzr's Avatar Primicerius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Was there ever video coverage of the last tag team tournament?
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

----- Alexander The Great

Blog Entries

Scrap that, needs to be updated, project for tomorrow.
    Last edited by Parafix; November 09, 2016 at 07:22 PM.

Blog Entries

This is being updated and put to use. Fair bit of work to be done to explain what the plans are, and allow some discussion on specific rules / the mod that we will be using etc. I'll keep the thread locked for now intill ive updated it all.

Blog Entries

All done, Op will be updated with the full list of rules once they've been reworded and additions implemented it. I request all those who are participating and those who are not to start discussing what additional rules you feel need to be implemented that where missing from the first round.

I know the current tournament mod is shoddy, i apologize deeply for this and we've scrapped that version completely and brought in the semi-finals to allow players a chance to bring themselves back. The discussion is not to attack us for that mod, you've done that plenty before, all will just be repeated.

We're allowing a months worth of testing for staff / players on the new submod to prevent history repeating itself.

Ramble12's Avatar Domesticus

As no one has expressed his opinion about this, then I will:
    Imo it should be better to remove awards for winning the first round. Why? Because as Parafix said the mod was shoddy and it was very imbalanced. All players that played Renly were pretty much unable to compete at same level as other players. Zkarel's case is different though. Nobody would argue that Lannister played very bad in his hotseat, that's why Renly was able to find a way to win it.
    We should add this awards only in case the new mod has been tested and every player has equal chance to compete and win in it. I think other players would agree with me.

zkarel's Avatar Senator

you are damn right, i pulled through with Renly because i managed to get Lannisport, other than that my east side was always boned, renly it seemed was doomed to fail
    They Call Me Special For A Reason !

It's hard, indeed next to impossible to get proper balance so do not feel too bad about it. But speaking of repeating the issues with current mod, fair enough - posting my issues with it spoilered in support of Ramble12 and holding on bonuses:

Citizens, hear my decree
    Don't question my authority
    Just trust in me, I know what's best
    Swear allegiance to my crest
    Swear eternal loyalty
    Towards the crown, swear to me
    I will protect and guide the way
    Just close your eyes and kneel, Obey

I'm the one who brings the light
    I break the dawn, I banish night
    I only ask that in return
    You kneel to me, or all shall burn!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Fun fact: I've captured half of Lannisters lands ( 5 out of 11 ) and he still had a bigger economy than Renly starts with. When counting Stark with Stony but without maiden, either of us have 33% bigger economy than Renly and Lannister 50% bigger. All yuuge^^ What really does things imo though, is this:

Stark -
    Between a more powerful and an equal, one whom can easily defend and more easily attack, the other easy defence and meh opportunity to attack.
    Stannis -
    Between an equal and a far weaker, one whom can defend meh and another whom is basically wide open. Can defend easily vs either.
    Lannister -
    Between a weaker and far weaker player, one whom has a very hard time defending, another whom has a hard time defending. Strong def vs either.
    Renly -
    Player with over 50% bigger economy, another 33%. One can defend fairly easily, the other nigh impossible to conquer. Buck all def vs either.

This rather strongly controls the flow of the game, of course unexpected things happen and Renly can win but you've got a SS Genoa vs Venice situation going.

Gonna be screwed getting sandwiched between Lannister and Stannis now xD Gunna be hard, damn glad I got good recruitment!
    In regards to rule suggestions, you've got most covered with solid rules and I am unfamiliar with the middleblood changes but imo for the most part:

The bribing rule is very ambiguous as it is next to impossible to know how far bribed stuff may move, also says nothing of bribed diplomats. Better to negate the turn order advantage by not allowing bribed or stolen stuff to move at all. Currently, it's a mess to know what can or cannot be done and it leaves general stealing and agent bribing ambiguous.

You may wanna mention if it's allowed to blockade ports by land or not.
    I seriously urge you to implement siege units and / or spies - it's not westeros but... Westeros could really use em.
    Disable missions, it's quite annoying getting a mission one is not allowed to complete^^
    Make sure the factions got a similar number of FM.

Ban ships, this completely changes the tables around Lannister and Stannis. Otherwise the crownlands, stormlands and westerlands in particular become hell to take as it's next to impossible to deal with armies moving around or hidden in ships.

Nuke the westerlands, seriously - ing nuke it.
    Last edited by Mithridate; February 12, 2017 at 01:30 AM.
    Don't be a prick, don't be a whiny little child - Stop White Genocide and Praise Jesus.

Very nice, Getting a good picture everybody? So we look nice and handsome and thin? Thank you. -The God Emperor, creating world peace and unforgettable memes
    https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/statu...48737210662912 <-- Unforgettable face.

joerock22's Avatar Leader of Third Age HS
    Citizen

My opinion on the proposals made so far:

1. Don't allow bribed units/agents to move.

Agree.

2. Include siege weapons and spies.

Please no. This is Westeros, which has never had either. I play Westeros for a different experience than I can get from other mods. Don't change Westeros into something else. There are plenty of other mods for people who want siege weapons and spies.

3. Disable missions.

Agree.

4. Ban ships.

Agree to banning ships for offensive purposes, i.e. launching invasions. Players should be allowed to have ships for transportation purposes around their own lands.
    Last edited by joerock22; February 12, 2017 at 03:07 AM.

I agree with everything except the banning of ships. Westeros needs either siege equipment or spies as a counter to forts. A fort wall shouldn't be impenetrable so we need a counter to them. It would speed up games and force players to play proactively as opposed to just setting behind fort walls. Given the opportunity I would host a westeros hotseat with siege equipment.

Blog Entries

I am of the same mind as Joe when it comes to siege and spies. I have been considering spies for a while now for Tournament use only. The fort restrictions are there to prevent massive fort walls, but this does give certain faction huge advantages. Westerlands is a prime example of what limited forts can do. I however will remove myself from the conversation for a bit, i am taking notes and listening to what all have to say, so i wont be posting unless directly asked something for a while.

The fort restrictions are nice but as you stated certain areas can be held easily with a few forts. Everyone knows that in Westeros you can only bribe a fort or brute force through it and neither are particularly effective. A bribe can easily be countered with generals or agents and the AR system favors the attacker so without stacks worth of men there is no way through. One day siege equipment and spies will need to be implemented in Westeros hotseats.

It's truly not westerosi, but it would be nice to see a couple of mods whom do have them.
    Thus far, there is like one and there it got banned as most did not knew they existed xD
    Don't be a prick, don't be a whiny little child - Stop White Genocide and Praise Jesus.

Very nice, Getting a good picture everybody? So we look nice and handsome and thin? Thank you. -The God Emperor, creating world peace and unforgettable memes
    https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/statu...48737210662912 <-- Unforgettable face.

Blog Entries

Current mod is up for testing - https://www.mediafire.com/?olynx4l7ga5zoxf
    Army placements are not finalized likewise with general stats, but get testing for general balancing / bugs.