Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What was the population of Roman-controlled western Germany?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: What was the population of Roman-controlled western Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Indeed. Well, we should also keep in mind the Hun's pressure, the Hunnic "accident".As Heather put it,

But, to sum up,
    Heather, page 617/18
    "...for one thing, aside from particular an unusual movements like the Hunnic or Avar accidents,patterns of migration were entirely dictated by and secondary to patterns of development,
    It was only when nomadic intruders
    added a much stronger shade of politically motivated migration into the picture that the relationship was reversed, and migration started to dictate patterns of development, undermining both the west Roman and Germanic Europe in one fell swoop.... Even without the Huns these processes of development would eventually undermined the Roman Empire"
    I'm suddenly reminded of an episode (of a documentary) where a Roman from Burdigala (Aquitaine) fled from his country estate and farm in order to escape the oncoming horde of Goths, sending his family ahead of him to the nearest seaport, only to have a letter sent to him by some Goth offering a reasonable price to buy a piece of his land so he could farm it. Lol.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Default Re: What was the population of Roman-controlled western Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I'm suddenly reminded of an episode (of a documentary)...
    There is nothing like a healthy, young brain. You have an amazing memory
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12