Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound text files released

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Default Re: Sound text files released

Fantastic. Thanks for providing the instructions Caliban. I'm going to test it out in a few minutes.

Yay! Can you ask him for the tooltips.txt file too?

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

It's working for me. Hooray! Thanks, Caliban!
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

So, I'm gonna start to make my own music mod then by using soundtrack albums.

By the way, thank a lot for your brief and useful information Caliban.

Thanks for your post good sir! Much appreciated Caliban

Methoz's Avatar Senator
    Bohemia (Czech: Čechy; German: Böhmen) (CZE)

what is bad..i make it
    mymod/sound/xxx.mp3
    delete events and idx and dont work for me
    and dont work in default folder.. .
    TotalWarForum.cz
    Česko-Slovenské fórum o hrách ze série Total War

Shigawire's Avatar VOXIFEX MAXIMVS

Yay! Thanks a bunch Caliban! I approached Epistolary Richard about these missing files, I assume it was he who asked you?

So now ALL soundfiles can be MP3? In RTW, only the music could be mp3 it seemed.

I hope it won't be too much of a problem to port the 3 voicemods from EB-RTW to the M2TW engine. Now we just need model-tools!

It seems to me that since Sega became CA's publisher, CA is a brand new company - one worthy of much praise. I love the new CA.
    ------------------------------VOXIFEX MAXIMVS-------------------------------
    ------PROUD PARENT OF THE EUROPA BARBARORUM VOICEMOD-------

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

chgo's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban View Post
    Ok, I had a chat with Jeff our sound guy. At the moment pathing is broken for mod folders. This means you can only mod your vanilla folder at the moment. This pathing problem for textures and sounds are fixed internally and will be in the next patch.

Being a art guy, I havn't played with the sound system, but I'll go through the basic steps to add new sounds. (only works from vanilla folder currently)

- extract all your sound files to data\sounds\
    - delete all .dat and .idx (including events.dat and idx)files from your data\sounds\ folder
    - copy new sounds (mp3 format) to data\sounds\ (will be referenced by your descr)
    - copy the released sound descrs to \data\
    - edit your descr_sounds_music.txt (or relevant sound descrs) from the \data\ folder to include your new sounds
    - run the game, let it rebuild the pack files, test your sounds!

I hope this helps, I havn't had time to test this.
    i am a newbie to this all, so which program do you use to extract all sound files?
    Peace at home, peace in the world - Atatürk

After a few hours of messing around with the sound files I discovered the hard way not to delete the sound-fx.DAT and IDX, as it completely caused a CTD ( did not rebuild the packs) and after I restored the files from backup it still did not make any difference and I had to re-install.

Some good news though:
    I discovered that just by deleting only the events.dat and Idx, the tweaks i made to the sound text files actually had an effect in the vanilla folder using the "medieval2.exe --io.file_first" batch file command to access the unpacked files. The events dat and idx are rebuilt every time you launch the game, as Caliban stated
    Last edited by Mandro; December 22, 2006 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Found a fix

Do you have to remove all the idx and dat files from the sounds folder, or can you remove only, say, Voice2.* and events.* ? Will it still work then, or will Voice2 be the only working dat/idx then?

That is, can you leave music.* and sfx.* as they are, or must these be unpacked and removed as well?
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Hey Beiss,

I havent tried music yet, I was edting the sfx, but i think I have an idea for you to try.

If your looking just to add your own music I would go to desc_sounds_music in /data folder and simply replace the areas of the game with your own files ( Northeastern Europe for example). Just delete the game referenced mp3's in the line and add yours. Then delete music.Dat, Music.Idx, and the 2 events, events.dat and events.idx in data/sounds

Next extract all your own mp3's into data/sounds and run the game. Supposedly the music and text (events) files are rebuilt when you launch the game. Thats just my guess though, since i havent done it and i bet there might be a tutorial here somewhere by now for music.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Mandro; December 22, 2006 at 10:23 AM. Reason: typo

Anyway, how can I extract the sound text files? The downloadable files are from the English version of the game and are possibly not compatible with other versions. How'd you do it, Caliban?

Havent been able to make it work either.

1 question: when you say ''Next extract all your own mp3's into data/sounds and run the game.'' you mean to extract the mp3 directly into the sounds folder or still use the subfolder /data/sounds/music to put them?

He must have meant into the data\sounds\music folder.

One thing though - when unpacking the existing music.idx, the extractor creates a new data and sounds folder, so the full folder structure is M2TW\data\sounds\data\sounds\music. This music folder needs to be moved so that the new folder structure is M2TW\data\sounds\music. The same goes with the Voice and sfx folders.

I don't know if this actually has to be done, but it worked when I did it like that.
    Last edited by Beiss; December 26, 2006 at 12:01 PM.

How can the interface sound volume be reduced? Is it just simply editing the line in the descr_sounds_interface.txt file?

DEFAULT: 1d priority 250 volume -30 fadein 0 fadeout 0

Can somebody please provide a tutorial on how to add new music? I've tried several methods mentioned here but for some reason, the game never builds back the events.dat & idx files correctly.

Hello! I want to make a mod music for the Medieval II TW, but I have problems. I already have experience, because I made a mod for the Rome, however I have followed the instructions of Caliban and this doesn't work.

Caliban said:

"Ok, I had a chat with Jeff our sound guy. At the moment pathing is broken for mod folders. This means you can only mod your vanilla folder at the moment. This pathing problem for textures and sounds are fixed internally and will be in the next patch.

Being a art guy, I havn't played with the sound system, but I'll go through the basic steps to add new sounds. (only works from vanilla folder currently)

- extract all your sound files to data\sounds\
    - delete all .dat and .idx (including events.dat and idx)files from your data\sounds\ folder
    - copy new sounds (mp3 format) to data\sounds\ (will be referenced by your descr)
    - copy the released sound descrs to \data\
    - edit your descr_sounds_music.txt (or relevant sound descrs) from the \data\ folder to include your new sounds
    - run the game, let it rebuild the pack files, test your sounds!

I hope this helps, I havn't had time to test this."

I have made this and this doesn't work . Sound is not heard and, like Caliban, "it rebuild the pack files" said. By the way, with what does program I can extract the sounds files? I ask it for if I have made a mistake.

Please, I need that you help me. Thank you for the answer!

I have already found the tool to extract the sound lines. This is an excellent forum. Now I want to put music for each faction. In the file descr_sounds_music there is music for culture or religion. As I have said, I want that each faction has your own music, is it possible? I suppose that instead of
    music_type northern_european, eastern_european, will have to put, for example, music_type England and this way with all the factions.

Thank you for the answer!
    Last edited by Trajan; January 07, 2007 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Merged non-duplicate double post.

I provided a tutorial over here.

The link to the sound text files is dead.

EDIT: Nevermind.
    Last edited by Beiss; January 19, 2007 at 05:37 AM.

the link is D.O.A we need immediate back up!.................

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast