Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound text files released

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Sound text files released

Just got these by email from Caliban, a CA dev. It includes all the text files needed to edit every sound in the game.

M2TW Sound Text Files
    Kingdoms Sound Text Files
    Last edited by Squid; February 05, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Default Re: Sound text files released

Yes!

Total awesomeness, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    Just got these by email from Caliban, a CA dev. It includes all the text files needed to edit every sound in the game.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...do=file&id=952
    very good!

On the other hand, I start to think , that the "CA" is actually a guy, who calls himself "CAliban" (get it?) and made M2TW in his basement by himself, as an RTW-supermod.

..Ok just kidding, but where are the other CA devs lately? They were buzzing around on the .org forum when RTW was released, and we can only get this one fine man to help us out, others should chip in.

..Ok just kidding, but where are the other CA devs lately? They were buzzing around on the .org forum when RTW was released, and we can only get this one fine man to help us out, others should chip in.
    Well Caliban is the modding CA Oz Dev, the guy devoted to modding relating things in the game.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Methoz's Avatar Senator
    Bohemia (Czech: Čechy; German: Böhmen) (CZE)

i
    have problem - in my mod - sounds-music music ingame dont work

example mtw -> mymod ->data->sound->music

i make change in - descr_sounds_music.txt

state MUSIC_FRONTEND
    event
    folder MYMOD/data/sounds/music
    bojovnici.mp3
    Requiem Mass.mp3
    end

run game and music dont work
    TotalWarForum.cz
    Česko-Slovenské fórum o hrách ze série Total War

Have you deleted the events.dat file in the sounds folder?
    Creator of:

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Hell yeah, this day is just getting better and better.

Methoz's Avatar Senator
    Bohemia (Czech: Čechy; German: Böhmen) (CZE)

if i delete, pla in game only "ambient" and if exit from game and going to sounds - events.dat is here...but i delete it
    TotalWarForum.cz
    Česko-Slovenské fórum o hrách ze série Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Horsearcher View Post
    On the other hand, I start to think , that the "CA" is actually a guy, who calls himself "CAliban" (get it?) and made M2TW in his basement by himself, as an RTW-supermod.
    Omg! I've been discovered!

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Finally! Can't tell you how disappointed I was when I couldn't find the files to edit the sounds when the patch was finally released. This is a holy grail, like. Thanks a bunch, Caliban!
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Quote Originally Posted by Methoz View Post
    i
    have problem - in my mod - sounds-music music ingame dont work

example mtw -> mymod ->data->sound->music

i make change in - descr_sounds_music.txt

state MUSIC_FRONTEND
    event
    folder MYMOD/data/sounds/music
    bojovnici.mp3
    Requiem Mass.mp3
    end

run game and music dont work
    I followed the same procedure for RTW but deleting the events.dat file was a no no. There was no sound at all except for the menu video weather. Had to put it back in to restore the sound and music. Anybody figured it out yet?

Skyler's Avatar Soul Searching Sun Gun
    Netherlands, universal centre of sexy coalas in hotpants

This is good news,some factions and agents need a voice overhaul(I hate the merchant's voice).

chgo's Avatar Tiro

does someone out there know how to add own battle music to the game, i haven't got any experience with it. Would be great if someone could help me or maybe there is a tutorial somewhere someone could post?
    Peace at home, peace in the world - Atatürk

While editing sound in the game looks like a piece of cake, I haven't actually managed to get any of my changes to work. Either the game uses the same sound as always or there's no sound at all. I'd appreciate a guide of some kind. The sound text files didn't even come with a readme.

Quoting myself:
    By replacing the English voice1,voice2,voice3, and events .idx and .dat files with their Russian equivalents in the data\sounds folder, I have now played the game featuring Russian speech. I have, however, not been able to create a mod that uses a mod folder that contains these Russian files - the game uses the files in the normal data\sounds folder no matter what. Leaving an empty sound folder in the mod\data folder means there's no sound in the game at all, oddly enough.

So if the mod doesn't contain any sound files, the game doesn't use the Vanilla files either, and then the game doesn't have any sound. If the mod contains sound files that are different from the Vanilla ones, the game uses the Vanilla files. I'm SO CONFUSED, ARGGHH!! Someone explain this mess, please!

However, the Russian files are in fact working, which means that the thing that checks whether your files are correct is probably the events.dat file. This contains the txt files released earlier. If we can locate where this information is, so that we can edit it to accept modified idx and dat files, we can make a working mod. Said mod will have to overwrite the Vanilla files, however. Until someone figures out how to make audio-related mods, that is.
    Last edited by Beiss; December 20, 2006 at 12:05 PM.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Damn, so that's why when I deleted the events.dat file in the mod/data/sounds folder, 99% of the sound was gone. I wish Caliban could come back and explain how to implement custom music and the like.

There's some known issues with the mod paths and data. Some of these paths are hard-coded and won't work with the mod folder (Textures and sounds). You will have use the vanilla folder for now untill the fix is out in the next patch.

Thanks Caliban, I'll try that out.

Oh no, we'll have to wait until February until we can make sound mods? Boohoo...

If this is the case, could you tell us how to do it using the vanilla folder? As I've said before, unpacking an idx and then packing it back up again results in the new idx and dat files being shrunk to 24b files upon running the game. Is there a way to put custom sound files in the vanilla sound folder so that the game uses these as an override? How do you use the sound txt files so that the changes in them take effect? Etc. For someone like you, it should be very easy to tell us the first basic steps to modding the sound in the game, even if it's all done in the vanilla folder. Please?

I agree, for now I'am only looking at editing the text files in the sounds folder.
    I'am using the vanilla-folder batch.exe to run the game ( not accessing the mod folder) but it seems like the files I'am editing are not taking effect.

Ok, I had a chat with Jeff our sound guy. At the moment pathing is broken for mod folders. This means you can only mod your vanilla folder at the moment. This pathing problem for textures and sounds are fixed internally and will be in the next patch.

Being a art guy, I havn't played with the sound system, but I'll go through the basic steps to add new sounds. (only works from vanilla folder currently)

- extract all your sound files to data\sounds\
    - delete all .dat and .idx (including events.dat and idx)files from your data\sounds\ folder
    - copy new sounds (mp3 format) to data\sounds\ (will be referenced by your descr)
    - copy the released sound descrs to \data\
    - edit your descr_sounds_music.txt (or relevant sound descrs) from the \data\ folder to include your new sounds
    - run the game, let it rebuild the pack files, test your sounds!

I hope this helps, I havn't had time to test this.
    Last edited by Caliban; December 20, 2006 at 11:50 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast