Thread: [Preview] Additional Units 3

Ritter-Floh's Avatar Artifex

Default [Preview] Additional Units 3

The third additional units pack expands many faction rosters with additional units and will be released with 1.2. In total, there are:

-7 new units for the Mauryan Empire (all exsiting units are also reworked)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(Indian Tribal Slingers) These slingers from the mountain and forest tribes carry small leather slings, just as easily used for hunting game as for hunting men. They carry no shields, as they do not intend to close with their prey until already downed. Nonetheless, they carry simple wooden clubs, useful for disposing their injured prey, but which can also be used for self-defence in melee, should the situation call for it. As speed and flexibility are key to their battlefield tactics, they wear no cumbersome armour, and their dress is the same simple clothing that they would wear on the hunt, or out foraging.

(Southern Indian Mercenaries) The word Dravidian comes from the Sanskrit term dravida, which means “southern. These Dravidian tribal warriors wear simple loincloths, or even skirts made out of plants, and are armed with simple spears and bows. While not directly subjects of the emperor, a substantial part of Mauryan armies consists of auxiliary troops levied from allied kingdoms and subservient tribes, used to bolster the size of the army.

(Indian Lancers) Protected by armour, helmets, and shields, these cavalrymen come from the upper tiers of the Kshatriya class, and no doubt, some among them may have Shaka or Yavana blood mixed in their veins.

(Pandyan Spearmen) These battle-hardened veteran spearmen are recruited from more elder Kshatriyas. They are useful as flank-guards, advance guards for the archers, and reserves behind the swordsmen, in case any foe, especially horsemen, should get the better of them.

(Indian Warrior Guildsmen) These infantrymen, members of self-regulating professional guilds called "Sreni," are equipped with the best that money can buy. For defence, they wear armour of iron and brass scales over a quilted cotton cuirass, with additional protection for the arms, legs, and shoulders. For offence, they carry a large ‘sword-axe’ made of high quality iron from the mines of Magadha.

(Indian Tribal Sickle-Swordsmen) The Dravidian Hindu tribes, inhabiting regions of southern India, are fearsome warriors, wielding the Aruvaazh (or Sickle-Sword), a single-sided heavy sword. They wear no armour, much like the North Indian tribes. These men are more spiritual and fanatical, hence they are very warlike in nature. Their attitude gives them tirelessness and ferocity in battle.

(Indian Chosen Swordsmen) Boasting handsome salaries, these soldiers are exceptionally well-trained and equipped with broadswords, mail armour, circular wooden shields reinforced with iron, and darts/javelins, with thick turbans as headgear. They are equipped to suit a fighting style that is more expressive and fierce compared to their lesser counterparts.

-3 new units for the Lugii

(Vandal Swordsmen) These Vandals are steadfast and aggressive warriors, the 'infantry of the line' for barbarian warlords, equipped with swords and shields.

(Baltic Clubmen) The warriors in this unit are not necessarily poor, but rather choose to fight with the club instead of the spear. Most are armed with a wooden club, but some prefer an axe of the socketed variety. For protection, these warriors only use a lightweight wooden shield. Some have a reinforced metal shield boss and some metal shield rim protection, but most do not.

(Lugian Bodyguard Spearmen) These guards are an elite formation composed of 'picked men,' recruited by war chiefs, who in turn are retained by district chieftains in order to bolster their levies. Overall, the trends in the development of armaments, reflected by the Toutaginos unit, as with the evolution of the battle tactics in general, are of course based on the progressive proliferation of iron.

-4 new AOR units

(Indo-Greek Foot Guards) Many Greeks have stayed in India, mostly because of the philhellenism shown by the Mauryan leaders, who even have Greek military consultants.Greeks also serve as mercenaries or volunteers in the Mauryan army.

(Arabian Auxiliaries) Arabian auxiliaries form irregular units useful for long-range operations, especially in the desert. They can afford a light and cheap helmet like the Boeotian one, also used by many other troops.

(Subeshi Archers) These archers wear a felt helmet, leather leggings, and a thick sheepskin coat with the wool turned inside-out, and carry a recurved composite bow. The bows they carry are a larger version of the Scythian recurved composite bow, enabling them to outrange, outshoot, and outpower other steppe nomad horse archers, making these foot bowmen the ideal counter to horse archers in a stationary exchange of missiles.

(Yuezhi Horse Archers) These horsemen make up the backbone of the Yuezhi cavalry, as horse-archers. As such, they are armed with extremely powerful composite bows of the asymmetrical, or "Hunnic" style. Their qualities as archers are offset by their performance in melee, as they are lightly armed and wear little to no armour. Used wisely, these mounted archers are a danger to any ill-prepared enemy.

Credits:
    -The EB/EBII team for the unit ideas and parts of their descriptions
    -Will from the AE team for the 2handed indian sword model
    -The AoB team for some models and textures

Default Re: [Preview] Additional Units 3

This looks awesome. Absolutely awesome! Thanks for your continued hard work!
    Art finds her own perfection within, and not outside of herself. She is not to be judged by any external standard of resemblance. She is a veil, rather than a mirror. -Oscar Wilde

Vardan the Great's Avatar Campidoctor

Awesome !

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk
    "An unexpected death is a death, an intended death - immortality"
    (c) Vardan Sparapet, before the Battle of Avarayr

Decanus

Indian Tribal Weightlifters is more like it. ;-)

Awesome units all around. I was going to start a Taxa.....um, Maurya campaign, but I guess now I'll wait for 1.2 because those units are too good to pass up.

BTW the sickle is called Arival where I live, so it seems it hasn't changed much since then If you can trace the name given to them here, I'd imagine they're of common origin. Ari = rice, val = sword.
    Art finds her own perfection within, and not outside of herself. She is not to be judged by any external standard of resemblance. She is a veil, rather than a mirror. -Oscar Wilde

Nice work as always
    The guy who used to test DeI and FotE on Mac.

I love the indian ones but I'm curious of these asiatic archers on foot and horse archers:
    1) Every faction will be able to recruit them? I guess but just need to confirm it
    2) Wich regions/provinces will there be present to recruit?
    3) Will they be available from the start? or shouold we reach any specific date or unlock a certain technology?

Thanks and nice preview as always !

They'd be available to factions that hold the provinces, obviously(?). The AoR map needs to be revised for them too.

I just had a second thought about the Indian tribal units. Are / were leaves ever a reliable / usable form of clothing? I don't have any proof of what tribal people wore back then, but I'd imagine they had to be extra careful about checking for insects before they weave it ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Jay the Byzantine View Post
    This looks awesome. Absolutely awesome! Thanks for your continued hard work!

+1!!!

I strongly think that Numidians need additional units too!!! (melee cavalry, camel riders and some elite/high tier spearmen). Arabian factions have stronger units compared to masaesyli.
    By the way units look very nice. Keep up your hardwork. Very much appreciated.

Ritter-Floh's Avatar Artifex

more pictures needed?

suras333's Avatar Semisalis

Great, thanks!

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

Subeshi Archers! One of my absolute favorite AOR units from EB! Nice job - they alone give me a reason to play around in the East!

I love this preview! If those Mauryan units are even half-decent, they are going to be a totally dominant force in players' hands. I've been looking to start an eastern-ish campaign for ages, but I just don't enjoy HAs. Having even a moderately heavy infantry line (chosen swords & guildsmen) combined with elephants and archers is just going to be glorious. Love the AoR in that part of the map too, especially considering the new foot guard.

Seeing all the faction previews lately, I think I'm stuck on the Mauryan Empire for my 1.2 playthrough. I'm curious though, does anyone know if elephants can be buffed via general skills? Specifically, would they count as cavalry for the purposes of a Ferocious Warrior > Skilled Cavalryman general build?

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

It would depend on how the effect is applied. Unit class, unit category etc etc. Would be something you could see in the db files. Unless ofc someone knows already

Yes, basic cavalry effects also apply to elephants.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Imagine what would be possible if the map were really editable. Maybe not the actual geography, but at province boundaries and city positioning.. Throw in a city or two in India, a nomadic settlment Northeast of Baktria...loose tribes across the Russian plains...God you guys and this mod would be unstoppable

Great work as always. Looking mighty forward to 1.2

The models are very good.

Just a opinion. The Taksashila units roster look a bit inaccurate.
    1 - many have turbans and a bit arab looking. Mostly Indians preferred hair knots around this time frame.
    2 - Dravidians units are a bit inaccurate too. By dravidians I mean the Pandyan units who're from way down south of the Indian peninsula. It's hard believe them making up into the ranks of Taksashila who're in the north western part, thats a long distance.

Mauryan/Taksashilan armies comprises of men from either
    Professionals 1/3rd
    1 - Kshatriyas - the warrior caste who'll make up core professionals
    2 - Srenis - non worrier castes but trained well enough in warrior guilds to be professions
    Non Professionals who'll be make up 2/3rd
    3 - tribes - forest dwellers and warriors from autonomously governed village societies, and semi nomadic tribes in India.

The roster can be something like this

Kauntika (Spearmen) - made up of villagers and tribals, regular cloths or bare bodied tribals, long bell shaped shields.
    Ksypatra (Slingers) - made up of tribals, mostly bare bodied, round shields.
    Tomarabara (Skirmishers) - made up of villagers and tribals, regular cloths or bare bodied tribals, small bell shaped shields or round shields.
    Dhanurdhara (Longbowmen) - made up of lesser kshatriyas and guild warriors, long bow, swords, regular clothing or leather corselets.
    Kadhgadhara (Swordsmen) - made up from lower tier kshatryas and guild/sreni warriors, rectangular curved shields, slashing swords and regular clothing or little armor, such as leather corselets.
    Parasudhara (Axemen) - made up of villagers and lesser guild warrirors, bell shaped or round shields, axe and javelins, regular clothing or leather corselets.
    Kshatriya Kadhgadhara (Heavy Swordsmen) - made up of experienced Kshatriyas, broadsword like on your chosen swordsmen, bell shaped shields or round shields, with metal boss or reinforced, regular clothing or mail armor.
    Kshatriya Gadhahasta (Macemen) - made up of experienced Kshatriyas, a mace sometimes blunt, sometimes spiked, bell shaped shields sometimes with metal boss, mail armor or leather corselets.
    Yavana Tomarabara (Indohellenic Peltasts) - after expanding into Baktriya or settling Indohellenic people in Indian cities.
    Yavana Yodhar (Indohellenic Hoptiles) - after expanding into Baktriya or settling Indohellenic people in Indian cities.

Laghu Asva (skirmisher cavalry) - regular clothing or corselets, javelins and slashing swords, bell shaped shields or round shields, mostly made up of men from lesser guilds or village tribes.
    Prasadhara Asva (lance cavalry) - spear armed cavalry, round shields or bell shaped shields, regular clothing or mail armor.
    Yavana Asvaka (Indohellenic Cavalry) - after expanding into Baktriya or settling Indohellenic people in Indian cities.
    Baktriyan Cavalry - after expanding into Baktriya or settling Indohellenic people in Indian cities.
    Kshatriya Rathah (chariots) - mail armored archers

Varana (elephants) - elephants with longbowmen crew
    Kajcuka Varu (armored elephants) armored elephants with a javelineer crew
    Rajanya Varu (king's elephant bodyguard unit) elephants with mail armored archers
    Last edited by svramj; August 01, 2017 at 01:00 PM.