Thread: Artificial Food

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default Artificial Food

Natural - but artificial - as in lab-grown food. It's natural, made out of natural proteins, but made in a lab, so artificial.

The reason I'm bringing this up for debate is because we're slowly - ok not slowly, RAPIDLY - depleting some of our precious food stocks around the world. I personally like to eat tuna (canned), because it's packed with protein, good for your health and goes excellent in salads. But the tuna is unfortunately heading for an unwanted extinction from the world's oceans, due to serious overfishing, depletion of stocks and increasing demand worldwide. In other words, if this doesn't stop, then in a couple of years we'll have no more tuna, no more sushi and we just destroyed an entire species of fish that is a key link for the ecosystem. For a while I've kept thinking about lab grown food, made out of natural materials - I saw a video of researchers making a lab grown meat burger. It tastes like meat, except it's not made of meat - well not the traditional way. It's made out of bovine stem cells.

So sustainable, no serious problems to the environment and no cruelty involved.

That sounds like a great idea - except that it might be years away until we see it because we don't know the effect of it for the moment. And plus we can't mass produce it yet, so there's still efficiency to sort out.

However, until this happens, we might run out of important sources of food such as different types of fish because we depleted the stocks and we didn't find proper alternatives.

Thoughts? Would you eat lab-grown food?

Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: Artificial Food

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing. I'm not picky; I wouldn't mind eating it. Especially since it is environmental-friendly.

It's definitely something for the future. Lab-grown meat is probably around 5-10 years away from the mass market.

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Indefinitely Banned

No idea. It looks okay and I guess it would be okay, but just sounds strange but sure, I would try it.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

So sustainable
    Is it? Anytime you say "lab" you are talking significant costs there. I would like to see some cost and input data on that.

The reason I'm bringing this up for debate is because we're slowly - ok not slowly, RAPIDLY - depleting some of our precious food stocks around the world. I personally like to eat tuna (canned), because it's packed with protein, good for your health and goes excellent in salads. But the tuna is unfortunately heading for an unwanted extinction from the world's oceans, due to serious overfishing, depletion of stocks and increasing demand worldwide. In other words, if this doesn't stop, then in a couple of years we'll have no more tuna, no more sushi and we just destroyed an entire species of fish that is a key link for the ecosystem.
    Although serious and comprehensive management of fish stocks and a general world wide willingness to have a more flexible basket of fish in their diet would be also address issues with fish populations.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Sustainable at the moment? No. It's too expensive anyways. Sustainable in the future? Definitely.

Serious and comprehensive management of fish stocks is a necessity - but apparently there's not much being done about it given that we have so many fish stock problems nowadays. Overfishing is a grave problem.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Is it? Anytime you say "lab" you are talking significant costs there. I would like to see some cost and input data on that.
    I recall when this first happened and it was called "the most expensive hamburger ever made."

Undoubtedly with refinement the cost can come down, but I don't think anyone can really say how far down it could get.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

With years and years of refinement, the price will go down until it will reach affordable mass market level. But it will take years.

Theoretically, it should eventually be cheaper since you will be aiming to produce the meat in the most efficient manner possible, without all that baggage of supporting a whole living cow.

I am the Air Bud of Total War

Correct. And that should be really helpful in the future - no more destroying rainforests for grazing land, no more methane gas (ok, less of it), cheaper to produce...