Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Beautiful maps of SSHIP: let's visit Iran

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Beautiful maps of SSHIP: let's visit Iran

CA is moving forward and there's no reason for them to look backward - if you get the pic
    I honestly don't think that CA will ever work again on Medieval 2 (10+ years old game). There's no point for them. I don't even think that they will change the hardcoded limits, giving up, somehow, on their copyright btw.
    Business world has its own rules which aren't always compatible with the players/modders world one
    That's a shame but that's how it is.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    CA is moving forward and there's no reason for them to look backward - if you get the pic
    I honestly don't think that CA will ever work again on Medieval 2 (10+ years old game). There's no point for them. I don't even think that they will change the hardcoded limits, giving up, somehow, on their copyright btw.
    Business world has its own rules which aren't always compatible with the players/modders world one
    That's a shame but that's how it is.

did read a bit about this on reddit and some ppl also said these limits could be because of other reasons like game's stability and stuff like that, not that CA just decided to put these limits without reason

so even if someone were to remove them we would probably have more problems than before

Blog Entries

That could also be the reason. Anyway, I think we should close that (off)topic and move on
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Just wanted to say I am so happy for the work MWY and Lifthrasir have continued in SHIP. The map discussion earlier in this thread was quite good and it was something I remember thinking about before I left the team in a handful of areas other than Persia.

For the reasons some regions were included or not the three main factors were; historical size/importance over two centuries from 1100-1300. Some regions in 1100 were barely important but became quite important later, also a couple examples where the opposite occurred like Ani in Armenia. It is difficult to decide only on that factor alone so the next importance was faction/dynasty balance. Certain factions that were quite strong historically do not have as many documented settlements either because they were nomadic steppe federations or were based on decentralized rural villages more than urban centers so in a handful of cases relatively low/importance documentable settlements were used to balance faction strength, additionally especially on the eastern map edge quite important cities are just off map... already a couple settlements are 'squeezed in' that shouldn't be there geographically so there is a cluster of cities partially representing Khwarezmian settlements just off map. Finally there were some areas of the map almost zero large settlements but still had either relatively dense rural population or would leave a huge empty space on map which affects AI negatively as pathing/target decisions factor in distance between settlements.

I actually still have most of my notes but seem to be missing a few regions either because it was changed after I left the project or something else- its been a few years so I can't remember all the details.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the input Ichon
    As far as I remember, no region has been added or removed since you left.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234