Thread: What are the best mods?

Default What are the best mods?

I just installed the patch and I'm about to start a new game. Are there any mods that could be considered a must-have?

Wolfcp11's Avatar Senator

Default Re: What are the best mods?

The "lite" mod is basically a collection of fixes, everyone should get this if nothing else
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=72874

Lands to Conquer has more changes, but mostly a pack of bug fixes and number changes
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73773

Shabas' Diplomacy mod drastically changes campaign AI
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=72471

Those are what i consider "base" mods to fix the game

Also, Deus lo Volt has many balancing/number changing going on, having tried it tho
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=67501
    Last edited by Wolfcp11; December 17, 2006 at 05:15 PM.
    "Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit." -Oscar Wilde

Check out Anno Domini. Best thing out there right now I think.

Just to confirm, you're sure these mods are fully compatible with the 1.1 patch?

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Yes they are all compatible with patch 1.1
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

selenius4tsd's Avatar Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Shaba Wangy View Post
    Check out Anno Domini. Best thing out there right now I think.
    Seconded.
    Under the patronage of vikrant
    Patron of Ramtha, Alletun, finneys13, SirPaladin and GrnEyedDvl

So far, I have played with a few of the mods.... so far the best combination for me is: Shaba's Diplomacy mod combined with Lands to Conquer (install LTC first, and then Shaba) - adds an empire feel to the game, as you have to deal with corruption and distance factors...

ZaPPPa's Avatar RTR co-daddy

You can add the latest Shaba Wangy and LTC's 'descr_settlement_mechanics.xml' + 'export_descr_buildings.txt' + 'export_descr_unit.txt' to DLV and you'll have the best of all three. DLV has BigMap and combining it with the three files gives you the balanced units and slower city growth.

I like DLV, but found that the cost of doing things needs to be worked out a bit more...

Should try to combine all the major mods into one nice little mod, ala Total Realism for Rome and go from there...

Isnt it possible to make a singel thread with all of the greater mods plus an small describtion...? it would really help many of us, who aint exactly sure for which mod to use...

Quote Originally Posted by Munkpetersen View Post
    Isnt it possible to make a singel thread with all of the greater mods plus an small describtion...? it would really help many of us, who aint exactly sure for which mod to use...
    That is a good idea, a sticky thread that would be kept updated by someone who has actually played all the mods.

But it is way too early for that, I think. Things are still moving too fast, almost every day there are new versions of several mods ( not a gripe, to the contrary, big thanks to all hard working modders ! ).

Best way to pick up a mod is just to invest 1 hour reading through all the most interesting mod threads and make your mind that way. Familiarize yourself with the moddirectory system, see what files each changes and you can easily combine the most interesting ones in to one super package tailored to your own tastes.

Everyone likes a bit different gameplay so that is obviously the best way to go.

yes perhaps you are right
    It is just a lot of time, we (not modders) have to invest in just reading about the many mods out there

In the other total war games, like RTW, was there an single thread with all of the greater mods there?

PS. Do you guys know if there are any mods out there which already have, or in the nearest future got plans of adding aditionally factions to the game ?
    Last edited by Munkpetersen; December 18, 2006 at 02:55 AM.

I tried 4 mods together for about 40 turns and had to pull the plug on it, after it became clear that no generals could earn any more STARS in battle.

Lands to conquer 1.2
    Shabby Wanga 1.4
    DariusEG's Battle Mechanics v0.7
    The Early, High, Late Separation Mod

I merged these exactly as advised by others in this thread and others.

I can say this. Except for the problem with the Generals, it was the best Campaign i have played thus far. I played Spain on VH/VH and in less than 20 turns had both Milan and Sicily land large armies by ship on my shore. Both went to war and both accepted a ceasefire after i beat them. But then returned again to keep pounding me in more war. All by ship. Something definitely good about the new patch.

Also Spain's family barely grew in 40 turns. No kids. And still one unmarried Princess.

I think the problems were caused by trying to replace some files in LTC 1.2 with The Early, High, Late Separation Mod.

Not sure what to try next. But the game has definitely advanced enough to have some fun with at this stage. Had the Moors declared war on me i'd have surely been defeated in triple-war. Because of horrible family tree and stuck generals.

The reason I ask is because I have pretty much just discovered that there are mods already for Medieval 2. I wasn't quite sure what to look for. Is there any sort of project like RTR being worked on for Medieval 2 yet?

aves's Avatar Military Historian

Yep, one called MTR... has some new people and some of the old MTR crew too

Default mods

i saw all the forum topics about upcoming mods but are there any that are up and running?

Papal_Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: mods

some minor mods are up, but as far as a total mod, i think it's too soon.

Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

Default Re: mods

merged
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

I've played most mods available here. So far, Anno domini (+shaba's, 2hand fix, 0.7bm) has been the best experience I've had in all total war series.

Can't wait for the next version without landbridges, new dinasties and titles!