Thread: New ancillary's text not showing up ??

Default New ancillary's text not showing up ??

I created a new ancillary.
    I put it to a character in descr_strat to check if it is OK(except for the trigger)

so the ancillary pic is in the character retinue, the effects(+2 chivalry, etc..) are working
    but when i put the cursor on the ancillary pic i have a vertical black line with yellow border(looks like the border of the tag in which the text normally display).

I guess my problem is in the export_ancillaries file but i can't figure it out.

any idea what might be the cause ?

Default Re: New ancillary's text not showing up ??

Did you edit the description in the export_ancillaries.txt file. Just going to test now whether that does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by EdStone View Post
    Did you edit the description in the export_ancillaries.txt file. Just going to test now whether that does the job.
    Yes i did.
    I edited those 3 files
    export_descr_ancilliaries
    export_descr_ancillary_enums
    export_ancilliaries

and i check over and over if i made not mistake with space and case.
    and i really don't see what's wrong.

From what i read through the forum i see that people are having problem with the files edited from data\text folder.

I'm not using the mod switch, and i wonder if it could be the problem ?

but on the other hand if it was the problem i don't understand how the game can use the description_effects_desc(+2chivalry,etc..) from my new ancillary if he do not read my edited file from the data\text folder ???

That information is on 2 files export_descr_ancillaries and export_ancillaries.
    and i think he needs both to work right.

So i am a lilltle bit lost right now.

I think the problem is with the ancillaries.txt(.strings.bin) file. Changes made to it dont seem to be reflected in the game.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ht=strings.bin

If you haven't read it, this thread discusses a similar problem, only they are trying to mod in resources, not ancillaries. The last few posts are particularly interesting but I don't think they really put forth a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsearcher View Post
    there were some .bin files in RTW, and once a while ago I've read something that the game generates them.

Of course you still need the original copies of the text files, but once you done editing, the game should create new .bin files from the text files.

Someone should try this out, get all the .bin converted to text, do some editing, and meanwhile delete all the .bin file (or move them out from the m2tw directory) and run the game. It might not run first but check the /data/text/ folder if anything happened. RTW.exe was also a tool for creating sprites and all sorts of things, the medieval2.exe should be even more powerful.

again, this is just my theory, but maybe worth a try , who knows, we might need some command line in the medieval batch file to do some funky stuff.

I experimented with the ancillaries.txt.strings.bin file by trying to change the tooltip for the librarian ancillary. I found that if you just place an ancillaries.txt file in the data/text folder, running the game will create an ancillaries.txt.strings.bin file, but the tooltip description will not show up at all then, the tooltip will just be that thin vertical black and yellow line when you mouse over the acillary's picture. However, I had only removed ancillaries.txt.strings.bin from mymod/data/text and not from the root game data/text folder so I am not positive that it didn't work. The way I tried it only yielded the vertical black and yellow line, no description though.
    Last edited by Myrafel; December 17, 2006 at 11:23 PM.

I was changing the Pagan Magician to -2 Piety +1 Dread here's what I changed in export_ancillaries.txt

{magician_pagan} Pagan Magician

{magician_pagan_desc}
    Regardless how fascinating the arcane arts may seem, consorting with one who actually practises them is not something a noble should be seen to do.

{magician_pagan_effects_desc}
    -2 Piety, +1 Dread

Seemed to work fine for me.

I'm using the modswitch so that might be the problem for you?

I think the issue is the strings.bin file. Whenever I make a change to a text file in my mymod folder (using the mod switch), I always erase the associated strings.bin file. The game will generate a new one when you load up your campaign. If I don't erase the strings.bin file, the changes will not be reflected. I believe this works somewhat like the map file. Essentially, the game looks first for a strings.bin file and accesses it. If it can't find it, it looks for a txt file and creates a strings.bin file from it, which I then uses to run the game.

Note that the strings.bin file I'm talking about deleting is the one in the mymod folder. You do NOT need to (and should not) erase the strings.bin in your original data folder. Anything in the mymod folder will override what's in your data folder (with the notable exception of tga files, but that's an entirely different topic).
    Last edited by vindex246; December 18, 2006 at 12:05 AM.

I think you're right guys.

I just made a test by just changing in export_ancilliaries the text of the astrologer.
    When i loaded the game it was the former text who showed up.

So not using the mod switch is probably my problem.

I never used it before so i get to read how to use it and if i undesrstand it right it seems i have a problem :
    I can't open .cfg files so i can't put the 2 lines in it.

What should i do or download in order to open it ?

Have you went to the properties of the .cfg files and set it to open with a program you have? Say notepad? Thats how I edited mine. The mod I edited the .cfg file never worked for me, so it might be more of a problem the a soulution. lol What do most modders open .cfg files with?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Breeze View Post
    Have you went to the properties of the .cfg files and set it to open with a program you have? Say notepad? Thats how I edited mine. The mod I edited the .cfg file never worked for me, so it might be more of a problem the a soulution. lol What do most modders open .cfg files with?
    Thanks.
    I can do it with the notepad.
    I just don't get what you mean "it never worked for me"

Not using the mod switch was the problem
    Now everything work fine, new ancillaries text is showing up
    so happy now!!!
    Last edited by Phoenicia; December 18, 2006 at 04:12 AM.

I downloaded Shaba's mod and coulden't get it to work. Thats the mod I edited a .cfg file for and coulden't get to work. I haven't tried the mod switcher yet though.. maybe later lol. Im glad I could help.