Thread: Where do I start reading?

Default Where do I start reading?

Hi all, I'm interested in starting a Warhammer (fantasy) book, just wondering if there's a definitive series/author to start with.

Default Re: Where do I start reading?

Not really. What faction are you most interested in? There are some really amazing books but it depends on what you want and whether its available.

I'd personally recommend the Gotrek and Felix series. A great introduction into the warhammer world that stays very entertaining through to the end.

Information on your favorite race would be helpful as well in pointing you towards some interesting novels.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Hyrule View Post
    I'd personally recommend the Gotrek and Felix series. A great introduction into the warhammer world that stays very entertaining through to the end.

Information on your favorite race would be helpful as well in pointing you towards some interesting novels.
    This, I started reading Gotrek and Felix a few weeks ago because the game made me fascinated with the world. Only read the two first so far, but those two at least are very good windows into the world. Skavenslayer especially got my hype up for upcoming DLCs
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

The two factions I find the most interesting are the Vampire Counts and the Empire, although I would also like to read about Nagash too.

Question not the workings of this site, it'll drive you to madness.

Anyway, seeing your warhammer interests, I'd fully recommend "Vampire Wars" which focuses on the Carstein line and their wars with the Empire and another good Empire vs undead book is "Runefang". (That was my first warhammer novel when I started the hobby and I loved it )

Nagash has his own novel series set in the Time of Legends that shows his rise to becoming the master of undeath. (His End Times book was also good as is the material for him in AoS)

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Hyrule View Post
    Question not the workings of this site, it'll drive you to madness.

Anyway, seeing your warhammer interests, I'd fully recommend "Vampire Wars" which focuses on the Carstein line and their wars with the Empire and another good Empire vs undead book is "Runefang". (That was my first warhammer novel when I started the hobby and I loved it )

Nagash has his own novel series set in the Time of Legends that shows his rise to becoming the master of undeath. (His End Times book was also good as is the material for him in AoS)
    Right well I'm gonna tear through those just as soon as I finish the series I'm currently reading (Masters of Rome by Colleen McCullough)

Haha, good to hear. I have a large warhammer novel library and those are some of my favorites that I think you'll find quite enjoyable.

(Though undead is as far as I go in "bad guy" books, I usually only collect the good guy stuff.)

I think what fascinates me about evil is just how OP some characters become.

Ah, then vampires will be right up your alley. Inhuman speed, the strength to rip a orc's head off with ease, power over the undead and near immortality. All at the price of needing regular human blood feedings, avoiding the sun and rivers, losing your shadow/reflection and having your soul and body become one. (So if you die, there's nothing left. Probably preferable over Chaos damnation, though)

Why can't they be near rivers?

Oh, they can be near but vampires can't cross them or any flowing water. Natural forces like that weaken them since they're unnatural beings.

The issue gets brought up twice in the vampire wars novel. Once when Altdorf was besieged and they engineer the nearby river to flow around the city(it stopped the vampires...but not the rest of the undead horde) and when Mannfred used a ship to cross one of the great rivers, apparently he had to stand in fresh grave soil to counter the river's pull on him until they reached shore.

Can they not cross them via flying mounts?

I think that's the only safe way for them to do so.

If you mean "why didn't they use them in the siege" then it's due to Vlad's army not having any flying mounts. It was mostly a zombie and skeleton army with human auxiliaries.(from what I can recall, in anycase)

Oh ok thanks, I'll definitely give Vampire Wars a go.

The Skarsnik book is pretty good, and the Genevieve series is probably the best written (but least relevent)