Thread: Saving artillery crew by removing them from guns

Default Saving artillery crew by removing them from guns

Can somebody remind me how to do this? I saw somebody do it recently, but I cannot remember how to do it myself.

(For example, when threatened by cav, you remove the crew and go and hide them in a nearby infantry square, then return to the guns when the cav has gone)

Default Re: Saving artillery crew by removing them from guns

Really? Wow never knew that

marcp's Avatar Libertus

Heya" I have only just started playing ETW a few days ago but at least once I had used the ALT+right click to have my artillery run from the guns and melee by mistake. Like in Medieval 2 and Rome 1 you can alt+right click to have them pull their knives if they have a weapon I suppose and melee, but I hadn't thought to use this as a tactic yet in ETW.

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

If time permits it is better to limber and move the arty to square for safety, or move infantry to square the arty. Leaving the guns using alt-right click will render the guns unlimbered for the rest of the battle.
    Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
    cant read?

When my artillery is being rushed I usually make them melee then stop that command and put them behind save lines or in an infantry square, sorry if this isn't the proper way to do it.

AstaDVM's Avatar Laetus

In historic terms it was a bad idea generally to abandon your guns if you could move them to a place of safety such as behind a firing line where they could set up again in a new firing position or take shelter in a square if threatened by cavalry. I havenīt played the game enough yet to know if once you have removed the gunners if it is possible to reman the battery after the threat has been removed. Normally, if a battery was about to be overrun, the gun crews might spike their own guns by hammering a barbed nail or spike into the touch hole to prevent the enemy from turning the captured guns onto the retreating enemy. Likewise, if the enemy forces overrunning a battery but unable to remove the guns as they fell back, might spike the guns if the enemy had not already done so to prevent them from being remanned. A spiked gun was normally out of action for the duration of a battle since it was a complicated matter to bore the spike out and probably rebush the vent hole, so if one cannot reman a battery in the game, even if the gun crews survive, it would be historically fairly accurate.