Thread: What are all the humanoid creatures of greek mythology?

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default What are all the humanoid creatures of greek mythology?

I am working a bit on a fantasy setting, and am using greek mythology in some small part as an inspiration even though the setting is more medieval.
    It might give me some ideas for non human races to put into the world that are different than what is usually seen.

So here is my list so far:

-Minotaur.
    -Cyclops.
    -Satyr.
    -Centaur.
    -Gorgon.
    -Dryad.
    -Automaton.
    -Harpy.

Am I still missing something?

Default Re: What are all the humanoid creatures of greek mythology?

Technically Titans and giants; nymphs of all elements, naiads, possibly mermaids. I don't recall the exact description of the Sphinx.

The Furries seem semi divine.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

You could check Theoi.com, iirc it has full lists of ANY type of creature in greek mythology

My own favourite is Geryon, the three-bodied (conjoined triplet, but with only two legs in most variations) hoplite-farmer who lived on an island past the med, until Herakles killed him (after first opening the med to the Atlantic).

Note that most of the creatures are in very limited number (or just the one, as with the minotaur). There are the three Graiae (who had only one tooth and one eye and one ear or something), the Gorgones are again three but only two are immortal, the Moirae are three but are mostly divine although not actual gods, the Ekatoncheirae (titans with 100 hands who joined the Olympians) have iirc a human-looking body other than a hundred hands and IIRC many heads -or something like that.
    Last edited by Kyriakos; September 11, 2016 at 02:41 PM.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Heh well I tend to look for something that does not look fully human and could be used as maybe a tribe or such, an entire village of that creature living somewhere, with maybe a female or male version added too, or otherwise some unique way of reproduction if its only men or women.

I cant really picture a male gorgon after all, it doesnt seem fitting. And a female cyclops.. well I dont know about that.

There weren't any female centaurs either

At least the Medusa was the daughter of (edit) Forkyn, sea-medon, "ruler of the never-ending sea" (Iliad).
    Last edited by Kyriakos; December 02, 2016 at 01:42 AM.
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Heh well female centaurs are easy enough to imagine and have appeared in other media before. What I'm developing is not a straight up copy of the creatures of mythology, I will modify it a bit anyways to make it my own.
    Female minotaur might work too, they did put that in world of warcraft as well after all. They can call it Tauren all they like, but to me its a minotaur.

Not to worry, our Japanese friends have managed to extrapolate them in many, many fine examples.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Is there anything interesting regarding undead perhaps? I believe there's ghosts and skeletons, shades and such.

Praeses

There's a few points: the different mythoi (starting from the first two, Homer and Hesiod) contradict one another extensively. In Homer Cyclopes are a race living in a distant land, in Hesiod they are a divine trio and a discrete group like the Titans or Gigantes (although both versions have one eye).

The minotaur Asterius is a one-off, not a race at all but a monster. There is also a bull-headed automaton but he doesn't reproduce either, so not really a race either.

Some writers include Typhon (not humanoid at all) among the Gigantes, others split all the categories up into zillions of groups.

There are categories of nymphs (Bacchae at certain parties, Oreads in the mountains, Dryads in the woods, Nerieds in the sea and I forget the fresh water ones, Naiads maybe?) as well as just plain nymphs. Lots if not all of these have divine parentage.

There are satyrs but they may also be divine, and Pan looks like a satyr but is not one...probably.

There are demons called lamia based on the cursed queen Lamia, maybe human females with snake tails from the waist down? Not always though. I think they kill and eat children. this is another one with many different versions and twists.

There are sirens as well, who are bird ladies a bit like the harpies, maybe they have more lady to them, or maybe they are different names for the same thing (sirens are more sexy crash you on the rocks, whereas as harpies are more scream, attack you and poo on your food). Some people portray sirens as fish ladies but that's a modern conflation with mermaids.

Speaking of mermaids the ocean deity Triton (like Queen Lamia) has offspring in some myths called tritons, very mermaid like but they have boys and girls and there are a bunch of them.

There's just so many races, I think the Odyssey mentions some divine races that Ulysses meets, can't remember them all.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Re the Odyssey, there is the race of the Laestrygonians, who apparently were very tall, but maybe not gigantic. They are cannibals. Some of them are said to not need to sleep (?). There are only two professions in their land, shepherd and herder.

I recently read the 2 books of Lucianos of Samosata's "A real story" (which i recommend, by the way ), and there are many mythical creatures there, usually forming species. I am only noting very few of them here:

-The Bucephaloi (obviously named after Alexander's horse; the english translator notes their name as 'Bullheaded', but i think it is closer to oxen-headed?). Anyway, they are described as minotaurs more or less.
    -The Nephelocentaurs. By far my favourite, the Nephelocentaurs (Clowd-Centaurs) are massive beings that have their upper half be human, and the lower be horse, and can fly around. They are described as having the upper part be of the size of the Colossus of Rhodes, and the lower that of the biggest merchant ship. They were mercenary forces, tied to the king of the Sun, and they literally were those who won the battle between the forces of the Sun and those of the Moon. They number in the thousands.
    -Various kinds of fish-human hybrids living inside a huge whale.
    -The lychnopolitae. My second favourite. In reality they are just called "lychnoi", which means "lamps", cause that is what they are. They live in their own city, the Lychnopolis. I love the passage mentioning that they are routinely summoned in a main building there to answer when their name is called, and if one is not there the penalty is death. And "death is to be extinguished"
    -The Aerodromoi. Those are apparently just humans, but have wings and fly about.
    -The Hippogypae. Those are vast vultures (gypae) that are used as horses by the forces of the Moon.
    -The Hippomermykae. The analogous elite Sun's forces horses, which are huge ants.
    -There is a tribe of plants which have their upper half be women, and will turn you also into a plant if they touch you or at least if you have sex with them
    Last edited by Kyriakos; November 26, 2016 at 06:29 AM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I can't wait until an eccentric billionaire funds a mission to send a spacecraft to the sun to find the mythical Nephelocentaurs. Let's hope they return back to Earth safe and sound. They might need to bring a bit of sunscreen, though.

Tell us about your progress, Inhuman One!

Heh well I have not really made progress yet, but there's this game on kickstarter that is inspiring me to pick this idea up again and continue working on it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ttles-pantheon

They go pretty deep into greek mythology and seem to include more obscure heroes and monsters of it. In some rare cases I don't agree with their artistic license but for the most part they do a great job.