Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This seems far too difficult even on medium...

Domesticus

Default Re: This seems far too difficult even on medium...

Those don't sound like issues with the mod's version, but with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by romavictoria View Post
    The first 50 turns is wonderful, then hell breaks loose!

Rebellion in the provinces, úberstrong barbarians that sends 3-4 stacks at a time.

Micromanagement in absurdum, historically but rather boring to make countermoves from the barbarians,
    well, that was a dealbraker for me...

Rebellion, all the time, some times necessary to exterminate the whole population, twice, TWICE
    thats whe whole city, not even under Alexander and the principate i think it was that bad...

So i uninstalled the RS.3.1 until DVK fixes that (above) 3 problems, with the Boii, all too powerful
    sended 100,000 troops, to quench two towns,
    rebellion (too easy) even with good generals/guvernours...
    If your having trouble with rebellions due to overpopulation you need to pay more attention to the building in your rebellious settlements, destroy any buildings that give a population bonus or health, make sure if you have a family member or administrator stationed there he doesn't give any population bonuses, in the hundreds of hours I've played Rs 2.1 - 3.1 I have maybe had a handful of overpopulation rebellions and that's just because I wasn;t paying attention. If ur rebellions are due to public order well then again your not paying attention to the building in your settlements or you are expanding too fast, you need to conquer 2 or three settlements then stop and stabilize before you move on, might be 10 or even 20 turns.

So I have not uninstalled RS3.1 but I will if DVk fixes the (above) (above) 3 problems, with the Boii, all too powerful

I mean, don't you want it to be hard, it will make victory that much sweeter. It IS easily winnable, but ur not gonna just be able to just steamroll through a campaign, especially if you are still figuring out what all the buildings do. don't just give up when it gets hard, play it until all is lost, your RS "game" is forged in those hotly contested turns of dire of circumstance and tempered in patience. Sometimes you come to a point in the game that you think that there is no way to win, but then somehow you made it through, those are the most memorable.

Icon7 Re: This seems far too difficult even on medium...

Quote Originally Posted by phylosopher stoned View Post
    If your having trouble with rebellions due to overpopulation you need to pay more attention to the building in your rebellious settlements, destroy any buildings that give a population bonus or health, make sure if you have a family member or administrator stationed there he doesn't give any population bonuses, in the hundreds of hours I've played Rs 2.1 - 3.1 I have maybe had a handful of overpopulation rebellions and that's just because I wasn;t paying attention. If ur rebellions are due to public order well then again your not paying attention to the building in your settlements or you are expanding too fast, you need to conquer 2 or three settlements then stop and stabilize before you move on, might be 10 or even 20 turns.

So I have not uninstalled RS3.1 but I will if DVk fixes the (above) (above) 3 problems, with the Boii, all too powerful

I mean, don't you want it to be hard, it will make victory that much sweeter. It IS easily winnable, but ur not gonna just be able to just steamroll through a campaign, especially if you are still figuring out what all the buildings do. don't just give up when it gets hard, play it until all is lost, your RS "game" is forged in those hotly contested turns of dire of circumstance and tempered in patience. Sometimes you come to a point in the game that you think that there is no way to win, but then somehow you made it through, those are the most memorable.
    Ill strongly disagree!
    I have conquered all of the mediterrian half the carthage all of greece and most of the west greenland gaul.
    The problem i was not clearly emphasized is not theese memoriable moments (i hade plenty).

I mean theese moments when you realize....whait, can the barbarians muster theese men when i had
    exterminated the whole population twice, then it all start over again.

AND THEN WITH ROMAN REBELLIONS,,TWICE,,,that my friend is not to win me over to RS.31 ever again...

A moderately lower punishment for rebellion thanks and i will give it a second go...

It went so far that all barbarians north of Rome was rebelled, no barbarians left, and still
    the AI send stacks after stacks just after 3 years i MEAN 3 years, thats not realistic,
    i mean in 22 turns maybe but 3?...and they are almost full stack with elite troops...

Well that is not either playerfriendly and historically accurate..
    I conguered gaul twice...and each time they send full stacks back...

I stand my case the 50 first turns is very well tuned, with a perfect blend of AI-attacks
    barbarian checking the borders, and so on...but then..

AI-the revenge of the AI-attack...
    Maybe it should rename RS to AI-Attack 3.1

ITS NOT OVERPOPULATION, its the opposite, depopulation with good, and in cases even wery good guvernous,
    and in sometimes good generals (shorter times)

And even with that...the blue bastards with troops starts to arise..
    Even ancient Rome had a easier time then RS.3 players...

i think its a big penalty (and i my case) to big penalty bonus when taking over cities.

Im no newbie, i raze every building that can imply a penaltybonus, but i think STILL they are too big,
    and to be lowered, i think especially about Greese that was similary to Rome, but still has enormous penalty bonuses built in

Well, im know up to 5 fixes.

1.Lower the penalty bonuses when taking over a city (including the restovers from another culture)
    2.Lower the mighty super-Boii-tribe they are twice the strenght of a ordinary cohort?
    3.The /THE blue rebellion if it so rarely happen (that someone said) with a cocky attitude wait for at least
    a little longer after exterminate the whole population (if thats historically accurate)..7
    4.The battles are hard and meant to be but the game becomes boring
    after endless AI-stacks with barbarian, jaja 4 archers and 4 legionarys in every fort in every corner
    of the empire but even that becomes a slaughter at the end with the result of
    5.more rebellion too easy after exterminate the whole populatin,
    the reason for extermination was that should not happen...at all..

God, the whining here... I'm pretty sure you're playing 0 Turn, where it's no wonder that there are many stacks around as it's quicker and more money flows around. Then play 1 Turn instead, which is more heavily focused on economy and slower. The Roman campaign is hard for the first start and it SHOULD be. At the beginning you shouldn't expand as Rome, just stay in Italy, gather all troops you have for Hannibal and then immediately prepare for the firt rebellion. After you have defeated those you can expand where you want. As for the second huge rebellion, this mechanic is cool, it still has problems but those are worked on. You can do it the very easy way and delete both rebellions in the script.

Ah yes, the script. Did you know that the script gives the AI more money and if you have the garrison script activated that gives it emergency stacks, so that it can survive longer against you when you destroy its regions? "Oh no! Those barbarians send so much troops! Where do they get so much people?". Well, gues what... If you conquer a faction too quickly, it will kick your ass if you're not prepared. You find the Boii too strong? Pff. Wait until the Dacians come to you. They shred your shiny legions to tiny pieces with their sharp falxes. Barbarian units are stronger here to overcome the hardcoded men limit in one unit, as Rome was always outnumbered when they fought against Celtic/German tribes. Also, the civilised factions have much more units with more armor.

Just learn the mechanics of this mod first, as they're complicated and then go on conquering. Look in the stickied section of this forum, there is a thread for newcomers where everything is explained. It doesn't help to post "Oh this mod is too hard, these Boii are too hard, I'll unistall the mod!". Not for the creator of this amazing mod, not for us who are willingly to help and most important, FOR YOU.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Bane1 View Post
    God, the whining here... I'm pretty sure you're playing 0 Turn, where it's no wonder that there are many stacks around as it's quicker and more money flows around. Then play 1 Turn instead, which is more heavily focused on economy and slower. The Roman campaign is hard for the first start and it SHOULD be. At the beginning you shouldn't expand as Rome, just stay in Italy, gather all troops you have for Hannibal and then immediately prepare for the firt rebellion. After you have defeated those you can expand where you want. As for the second huge rebellion, this mechanic is cool, it still has problems but those are worked on. You can do it the very easy way and delete both rebellions in the script.

Ah yes, the script. Did you know that the script gives the AI more money and if you have the garrison script activated that gives it emergency stacks, so that it can survive longer against you when you destroy its regions? "Oh no! Those barbarians send so much troops! Where do they get so much people?". Well, gues what... If you conquer a faction too quickly, it will kick your ass if you're not prepared. You find the Boii too strong? Pff. Wait until the Dacians come to you. They shred your shiny legions to tiny pieces with their sharp falxes. Barbarian units are stronger here to overcome the hardcoded men limit in one unit, as Rome was always outnumbered when they fought against Celtic/German tribes. Also, the civilised factions have much more units with more armor.

Just learn the mechanics of this mod first, as they're complicated and then go on conquering. Look in the stickied section of this forum, there is a thread for newcomers where everything is explained. It doesn't help to post "Oh this mod is too hard, these Boii are too hard, I'll unistall the mod!". Not for the creator of this amazing mod, not for us who are willingly to help and most important, FOR YOU.
    I totally agree with you mate, I cannot understand why anyone even bothers to come on here to complain, if they can't handle it and they don't want to play it then stfu and move on. I have only been playing RTW (+mods) for a little over 2 years myself and have played 3 campaigns of RS 2.6, cancelled the 1st because of tech problems, lost the 2nd as Macedon (h/h) and won the 3rd as Dacia(m/h), yes it can be tough, but as you say, read the info threads to learn more and it certainly helps. I am now on my 4th campaign playing as the Belgae this time, using the open beta version RS III (+3.1), I'm playing on VH/VH (I know I know, but I had started so just continued), 0 turn option & Tones' submod for faster battles, I'm also using Sinuhets' (imo superior) custom battle formation for the AI & the Less Emergency garrison script. I have conquered Britannia, pushed back the invading Romani and destroyed the Averni, the year is 561 AUC. It has been a good campaign thus far (I have only lost 2 battles) although I had some pathfinding issues and a couple of glitches to deal with. The point I'm making is, I'm not a great player by any means but if I can manage and still enjoy this brilliant mod(kudos to dvk901 + the RS team) anyone can. PS. This campaign is my 1st ever attempt at a Let's Play which I am playing at present on youtube if you want to check it out.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; November 05, 2016 at 10:55 AM.
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Ah the Dacians, it's great to shoot their falxmen to death.

Domesticus

You are aware that a)laying siege to a settlement and waiting for the next turn triggers a garrison stack to pop up on the town and b) when you conquer certain cities (or was it just capitals) elite - or properly structured enemy armies - will spawn, sometimes up to 3 stacks.

That and you're probably playing 0 turn, which is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    Ah the Dacians, it's great to shoot their falxmen to death.
    Allright, reinstalling Alex.exe and taking a slower pace,
    but to my defense i still didnt invade Carthage until 144 BC and Greece just a few decades earlier.
    My point is not endless barbarian invasions, but too high penalty bonus (sader populus) when invading a city,
    nevertheless razing there cultural buildings.

Excellent mod still, but a few tweaks, to perfection!

Im not even start to whining, im complaining because Rome 2 was a bugger of a failour, and Rome Europe Universalis felt to overemphasized the Roman
    and an overly complicated gameplay.

I will take a slower pace then, but according to your guidelines, i still the gameplay is like

-" ohhh, loook at the barbarians, now they send 4 stacks of elite troops)
    -"ooh,, i better build forts, and many of them for distraction purposes)

And then it goes, like 144 years...

-That is whining!...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
    You are aware that a)laying siege to a settlement and waiting for the next turn triggers a garrison stack to pop up on the town and b) when you conquer certain cities (or was it just capitals) elite - or properly structured enemy armies - will spawn, sometimes up to 3 stacks.

That and you're probably playing 0 turn, which is horrible.
    Is the 0-turn savegame compatible with 1-turn gameplay?...

Seems a little slower pace would do good..
    Is

About the stacks, I sure agree, part of the reason as I've done campaigns though RS 2 -> 3 etc etc is that stacks are somewhat of a distraction compared to really going out and taking settlements. Of course the cheezy way is to take and then destroy barracks (or even just assassin it I guess).

But I do find that it's fun to repeatedly depopulate cities into the ground
    Last edited by Alavaria; November 05, 2016 at 11:32 AM.

About the stacks, I sure agree, part of the reason as I've done campaigns though RS 2 -> 3 etc etc is that stacks are somewhat of a distraction compared to really going out and taking settlements. Of course the cheezy way is to take and then destroy barracks (or even just assassin it I guess).

But I do find that it's fun to repeatedly depopulate cities into the ground
    More historically correct would be to lower the culture-penalty "bonus".
    Not even Alexander the great had to conquer endless barbarian uprisings.
    It happened really once since then Alexander had to marry a "mistress" to quench it,
    he didnt even had to exterminate the whole populus....

hehe..

Domesticus

More historically correct would be to lower the culture-penalty "bonus".
    Not even Alexander the great had to conquer endless barbarian uprisings.
    It happened really once since then Alexander had to marry a "mistress" to quench it,
    he didnt even had to exterminate the whole populus....

hehe..
    Uhm my knowledge of Alexander's campaign may be slim, but im pretty sure that he had to carry out the elimination of several points of resistance. That means conquering towns and forts and razing them to the ground, killing and/or selling their population into slavery.

Edit: The trick with the culture penalty - which im not sure if it still works - is to depopulate the city and destroy as many buildings of opposing culture as you can and build your own versions of them. Annoying? Yes, but hey, see the bright side, at least you spend some of huge sums of money you hoard by that time.

To me romavictoria sounds like a fairly experience RTW player who has no experience with mods that extensively change the game mechanics. In that regard, he is playing well and doing the "correct" things. Unfortunately, in Roma Surrectum II the mechanics are completely different and traditional RTW strats will simply not work. Consolidating territory is significantly harder, rebuilding troops is also extremely difficult (compared to vanilla).

Your main problem romavictoria is approaching this as if it was RTW. Its not. RSII is a radical departure from vanilla in virtually every way and you need to re-adjust your strategies accordingly.

Well in vanilla RTW didn't massing hordes of these pila-throwing guys with little swords work really well? It doesn't really in RSIII

Also, it's really "fun" to fight the rebelling "armies" which are 6-8 units of super general's bodyguard...
    Last edited by Alavaria; November 05, 2016 at 09:49 PM.

Well in vanilla RTW didn't massing hordes of these pila-throwing guys with little swords work really well? It doesn't really in RSIII

Also, it's really "fun" to fight the rebelling "armies" which are 6-8 units of super general's bodyguard...
    Heres my supershort guide to play the RS.3.1

1.Evacuate the two outer colonies!
    2.Concentrate all firepower with the Scipio-family at Hannibal/Hamilcar
    3.Build tribal-justice,temples and roads (later buildings later) the aqeduct cost 25,000 which is about my whole net income for one year
    4.Have 4 legions as a buffert from the barbarians
    5.Destroy the cultural buildings
    6.Send your diplomat around the globe to start trading with other cultures

Well i must say it worked guite good...the thip nr.4 (station 4 legions at the northern part of the defenses)
    worked the best, now i have to wait for the big barbarian onslaught...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
    Uhm my knowledge of Alexander's campaign may be slim, but im pretty sure that he had to carry out the elimination of several points of resistance. That means conquering towns and forts and razing them to the ground, killing and/or selling their population into slavery.

Edit: The trick with the culture penalty - which im not sure if it still works - is to depopulate the city and destroy as many buildings of opposing culture as you can and build your own versions of them. Annoying? Yes, but hey, see the bright side, at least you spend some of huge sums of money you hoard by that time.
    Yes, it works, i play RS.3.1 with Alex.exe and it works.
    As somebody else say, you cant just iron-wreck, you must plan your next move,
    to countermove, slowly, slowly. Check your governours, let me rotat after a couple of years..

Hasnt started to fight the Boii-tribe yet though...

Funny thing that from the start Roman Rebels taking over the Carthage Novum...so thats a big bonus....

Heres my supershort guide to play the RS.3.1

There is your problem - right there. Don't need to look any further. RS is not just another pointless little game for you to play for a short fix of killing entertainment. It's not how it's written; it's not how it was designed; and perhaps it's just not for you.

All the testing I did; all the many run throughs - I never had a conquered City rebel and I never depopulated (I'm far too nice for that). Just do the initial soldier-centric and historic R, L & P'ing (Raping, Looting & Pillaging as my old history teacher used to say) and then police the place for a few years.

The only point I will agree with you over is the 'Civil War'/2nd Rebellion - turn it off. The Cimbri invasion also doesn't work as it should, so disable that too.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    There is your problem - right there. Don't need to look any further. RS is not just another pointless little game for you to play for a short fix of killing entertainment. It's not how it's written; it's not how it was designed; and perhaps it's just not for you.

All the testing I did; all the many run throughs - I never had a conquered City rebel and I never depopulated (I'm far too nice for that). Just do the initial soldier-centric and historic R, L & P'ing (Raping, Looting & Pillaging as my old history teacher used to say) and then police the place for a few years.

The only point I will agree with you over is the 'Civil War'/2nd Rebellion - turn it off. The Cimbri invasion also doesn't work as it should, so disable that too.
    2 out of 4 thats not bad...

Its not a pointless game, its as historical as its gets, but that flew over your cuckoos nest..ill quess.
    Strategy at its best perhaps, minor flaws still playing in at 154 BC conquering Carthage, half the Iberia, and planning the
    next step to conquer Greece, i even have a 10 star general go get a smash and grab against the Seleucids, what
    did i hear someoney saying?

-Historically correct?...
    -Yes you did... smash and grab (actually i think it was Pontus)...

So for me its not a pointless game, its a pointless distraction with a historical cultural chess inside it.

The age for start this game should be at least 25 years+ because it has so many diversions...
    But then again, ill do think its constructive critisism not critic per see...

As a bonus it stands alone as the best strategy-game of all time...
    Actually i bought in on STEAM just to play the RS.31...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast