Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Solution for: 'Unspecified Error' after Patching to 1.1

Default Re: Solution for: 'Unspecified Error' after Patching to 1.1

I can't find data\descr_geography_new.db but I can see the other one, so just deleat the one?

If you have unpacked with the unpacker tool, you MUST follow this instruction or you're game will crash:

Quote:
    Due to a timestamp check, the following unpacked files will
    cause the game to crash and must be deleted before the game is
    launched:

data\descr_geography_new.txt
    data\descr_geography_new.db

Where are these files...i cant find them anywhere

^-----^
    Neither do i! this is crazy, i CURSE the CA.

Seriously, has noone found the answer yet?
    “"The robber of your free will," writes Epictetus, "does not exist”

My problem seems to have solved its self. Ever time the game CTD when i clicked endturn (happend about 11 times at the same point) and last night it just didnt.
    I dunno why it didnt crash this time but i aint complaining.

Solution found! this also works for EVERYONE that suffers the 1.1 UNSPECIEFIED ERROR CTD in start of battles!
    Download this patch, move it to the medieval 2 directory and use it as the .exe Its not a crack.
    You must have the CD in, the fault with the 1.1 patch was in its .exe

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Patch...er-Patch.shtml

Ralendil's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by jaklei View Post
    Solution found! this also works for EVERYONE that suffers the 1.1 UNSPECIEFIED ERROR CTD in start of battles!
    Download this patch, move it to the medieval 2 directory and use it as the .exe Its not a crack.

doesn't work for me...
    I am very disgusted...

I can't unpack the game without getting an error at the start...

Well I return to Rome Total war, MTW 2 sucks too much... can't mod seriously the game...

I have tried to unpack the game, and I have not even modified a single file... I deleted the 2 files... and when I launch the game it crashes every time.
    And as for me playing the original games of Total war is annoying as is the hell, well... I give up.
    I have bought Shogun (& the ext), MTW, RTW, BI, Alexander, and MTW2... well I think it was my last game of Creative Assembly I have bought if they don't repair that.
    **** Sega...

This game is a disaster... what did they do to our lovely Total war serie?

I'm with ralendil. I've done everything to fix the "unspecified error" thing but no way...

Done all these stuff with and without patch 1.1:

Re-installed the game
    Formatted windows
    updated to latest drivers (graphics card, sound card, directX, mainboard=
    setted up to lowest graphics
    downclocked graphics card
    upgraded my ram (to 1 gigs)
    any other options that I can't remember right now, that I find out from internet forums after hours (maybe days?) of research

no way...

All my other games works just fine but m2tw. It's a complete disaster, as It's the best game I've ever seen.

Hope someone comes out with a nice idea I've never tried or Sega comes up with a new patch that solves the problem.

Thanks,

i'm experiencing same issue,but with one addition... when game CTD, i have completely black screen and i cant get back to the windows at all.I tried all key combinations (alt tab, ctrl+alt+del etc...) after that i can atleast see mouse cursor,but screen is all black and i need to reboot computer...

I have Intel core 2 duo 6300, Asus P5B Deluxe, 2Gb Ram Kingstone 667mhz, MSI7900GTO with latest drivers.
    Last edited by JaM; February 07, 2007 at 04:16 AM.

I'm using the mod stainless steel 2 and this error happens every time in a particular battle.

*OMFG! Solution nr 2, for everyone that can see some piece of the battlemap before it crashes:

FIND THE DXSETUP EXE in the original medieval 2 DVD nr 1 and run it. It will upgrade ot the latest drivers and reconfigure Med2 a bit. Then it should work, it did for me.

And if it still dont work then i dunno

Sir Nicholas Altman's Avatar Campidoctor

*OMFG! Solution nr 2, for everyone that can see some piece of the battlemap before it crashes:

FIND THE DXSETUP EXE in the original medieval 2 DVD nr 1 and run it. It will upgrade ot the latest drivers and reconfigure Med2 a bit. Then it should work, it did for me.

And if it still dont work then i dunno
    For me the "error" happens every once in a while. No real solution. Just replay the battle and then it works. But last time it crashed in a huge and important battle against Mongols. Every (jebeni) time. So I had to load position from before and avoid the battle. The game is working fine since then. Very strange stuff.

@ jaklei

But what does your DXSETUP EXE upgrade? Direct x or video drivers? Would it do any harm? And what do you mean it reconfigures your Med II a bit?

Default Finally !

After trying millions and millions of software and hardware combinations (patches, updates, hardware changes etc...), I think I finally find the solution... - at least for my machine -

As I said before, I was getting the same unspecified error randomly and nothing more. No ram errors or black screens etc.. I tried everything I can find but until now, I was unable to fix that unspecified error thing like most of you.

I have a 1 gbs (2x512) of ram woking with epox 8rda+ board and a 2500 AMD processor. 2 days ago I tried the game with removing one of the 512 Megs RAM and I again got the same error again. Then I removed the second one and tried to use the other 512 alone. I played 170 turns without any problems and I was nearly crying It took my 2 months to fix the fameous error and I think I finally made it...

The strange thing is that, I'm using these 2 x 512 rams more than a year, I have installed tens of games and hundreds of applications with them and never saw any type of a RAM error. They are both same, Kingston 16 chip DDR 400 Mhz 512 megs and CL 2.5. BUT THE CHIP manifacturers are different. I even tried to upgrade and downgrade the ram speeds before but that didn't work either. Just leaving one of them alone made every problem solved. I can still play PES6, NFS Carbon and 4-5 other games with my 2X512 Kingstons. Only the M2TW gives the **** when it sees 2X512 on RAM ports. It comes back to normal when I remove the one that M2TW DIDN'T LIKE.:hmmm:

So, I think M2TW has some strange RAM HANDLING technique that most of our PCS and/or RAMS can't handle, even with good quality Kingstons or EPOX motherboards. I believe that my system is really really stable as I never had any hardware and software problem for the last 2,5 years with this system. But it has something to do with Medieva 2. I must say that I'm blaming Sega for that. soooooo strange ram & data handling...

As for those who didn't read my previous posts, I tried every and every solution you can find around like; patching to 1.1, formating windows, using gamestart.bat, using unpacker, other pathes goes around, updating graphics card, sound card, mainboard and other drivers, upgrading and downgrading the system etc... etc... etc... Nothing worked but this RAM downgrade.

So, I'd now like to offer to all those having the same problem:

You may try to check your RAMS and RAM PORTS first.

if you got more than one piece of ram, just try to use a single one, just one of them. I that doesn't work, try one another alone.

if you have just one peace of ram, try using that ram on different ram ports
    and after all these if you still got the unspecified error, then try some of your friend's RAM.

Hope this helps to all those having the same "UNSPECIFIED ERROR" nightmare.

Best,

Danny_Two's Avatar Laetus

Well, I played the game solidly for about 2 months with no problems at all...untill I met the Timurids. As soon as the battle started the game crashed, I did a bit of research and found and loaded the patch, and it worked...once, after that battle it was back to the same thing.
    I tried the unpacker and it crashed every battle, even quick start battles that wern't part of the campaign.
    I also read the bit about deleting those 2 lines of code, but have no idea how, the only way you can see them is in the text file.
    Ive now deleted all traces of the patch and reinstalled the game, and now let the computer fight it out with the Timurids.
    Shame such a great game is spoiled by this.

My son has been playing this game bug free since christmas and out of the blue he is getting the above error. I have downloaded the above patch but when I try to run the patch i get the following error message-

"this application failed to start because mss32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"

Above you say "move this patch to the medieval directory and use it as the exe. Its not a crack" I dont know what this means-can you explain in simple terms for me.

Icon6 Re: Solution for: 'Unspecified Error' after Patching to 1.1

i had the same problem but a time-based campaign map "unspecified error" plus some ram addresses 0x... after that error window. i have no problem in battles whatsoever.

my settings are small unit size, medium texture, unit details, low building, medium veg and grass no bloom or reflec or shadows and running shader 2
    (p42.4ghz, 2x512m ra, 6600 128mb stock, old 845PE chipset)

.... anyway i reversed both my ram chip seatings (2 x 512mb cheap generics) thinking it was one of them and hoping if indeed it was, then the ram address error would be slightly different angd all i had to do was buy another ram chip a better one this time...it wasnt and i still got the same error msg.

i know it is NOT the executable fle as i also downloaded the river patch executable from the site listed in this thread..that didnt work for me.

i have NOT unpacked the game. Am using some mods which i place in the main mtw2/data directory not any mymod directory. apparently one of these mods seemed to be why i get unspecified error msgs.

i removed this particular mod and now i can play all throughout with error msgs listed above including the save game that previously gave me the error msgs in campaign map.

apparently mods which have to do with modifying .xml files (not the .txt files) seem to be mucking up the game (at least on my machine). the ONLY mod i have now with a modified .xml is the skymod of horsearcher plus the skin mods. that's all! and runs great.

hope this works for you guys!
    great game CA!

of course when ver 1.2 patch comes out who knows what new gremlins this will bring..

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

This may be heretical but I suspect that playing against 2 full stack besieging armies will be more than some people's hardware can cope with.

(Well that's my conclusion after having tried all the usual remedies)

(even ran memory tester prog which found no errors)

Athlon XP2500+
    1 GB RAM
    256MB 6800 GS/XT video card
    93.71 nVidia drivers

(nb if you read the read-me in the 1.1 patch CA say the minimum requirement is an Athlon 64 processor, which may explain why my set-up can't cope with really big armies.)

Ok my problems didn't start with the patch but I figure this is the busiest thread so maybe I'll get some help here.

Here's my dx diag

System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 2/17/2007, 05:36:51
    Machine name: SINOSLEEP
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.050329-1536)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: MXG061
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A02
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Page File: 427MB used, 3511MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Game had worked PERFECTLY for about 5 days and as soon as I got to my first encounter with an elephant army the game would crash a couple of seconds into the battle. SO I looked into it and apparantly this was fixed in the patch. I downloaded and installed the patch and played through three or four battles. Now I in a siege battle where it lets play through the battle and win but as soon as I try to save it crashes. Any time I try to open the save that caused the crash it crashes. This has happened over 5 times in a row on the same battle. Same results every single time. I've tried every single solution that been listed here and have not been able to fix the problem PLEASE help me.

this is annoying.Every time I have to fight against 2 armies (against mongols or timurids) the game crash with " unspecified error".I can`t let the computer fight for me cause every time I did that I loose.So.... does anyone know a solution for this?

thx a bunch

Athlon 64 3200
    1gb ram
    256 Nvidia 6800
    Latest drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Phoenix View Post
    The error message references the instructions stored in the RAM. 0x00b2f64 is the address 00b2f64 on the 1st stick of RAM in your computer (the one closest to your CPU). The 0x is a reference to the location of the RAM, so 0x is the first slot, 1x would be the 2nd slot, 2x the 3rd slot, etc. since the computer begins numbering from 0. Basically, what it says is that it looked at the instruction on the RAM in 0x00b2f694 which told it to look at 0x05c47078 and do something with it, but it either couldn't find anything there, couldn't read anything there or found something which doesn't match what it was looking for there and couldn't figure out what to do, so the program ended.

That's just a little computer lesson in error messages.... snipped
    LOL! Are you f'ing kidding me?

Firstly the "0x" donates hexadecimal (base-16) and not "slot 0". There is no 1x or 2x or whatever. Secondly the number is the address in the virtual address space of the process, not in the physical address space of the PC and cannot be tracked down to any particular RAM slot. The operating system will map the virtual pages to whatever free pages exist in physical memory. The error happens because it was asked to read this virtual address but no physical memory was mapped to it, most probably due to a software bug or possibly RAM failure.

Please don't speak so authoritatively about things you just make up, ta.
    Last edited by trojanfoe; February 18, 2007 at 11:52 PM. Reason: hexadecimal isn't spelt hexi-decimal

Danny_Two's Avatar Laetus

I think the conclusion is that the game is flawed, no one has come up with a difinitive answer, and I dont see SEGA/ CA doing anything to help.
    It's outragous that this game was released with such a major bug.
    Im very disapointed that Ive spent two months playing this and now it has become unplayable.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast