Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Solution for: 'Unspecified Error' after Patching to 1.1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Solution for: 'Unspecified Error' after Patching to 1.1

Solution for: 'Unspecified Error' after Patching to 1.1

If you have unpacked with the unpacker tool, you MUST follow this instruction or you're game will crash:

Due to a timestamp check, the following unpacked files will
    cause the game to crash and must be deleted before the game is
    launched:

data\descr_geography_new.txt
    data\descr_geography_new.db
    You need to do this even if all you do is unpack and don't mod anything.

Took me all night to figure out why I couldn't play anymore after patching...

Default Re: Solution for: 'Unspecified Error' after Patching to 1.1

OMG you are a life-saver, whenever i tried playing on the battlemap the game would crash. Now it works!!
    Last edited by King_Leonidas; December 27, 2006 at 07:13 AM.
    'We are ready to try our fortunes to the last man, so come the three corners of the world in arms, We will shock them!'

I too am getting an unspecified error on startup, but I only unpacked the music for the game and cannot find the files you mentioned.

Help?

If it's of any use, the system log reports not being able to find numerous files in data/text - is this a completly different problem that just happens to have the same symptoms? Or is it something different entirely?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Colossus View Post
    I too am getting an unspecified error on startup, but I only unpacked the music for the game and cannot find the files you mentioned.

Help?

If it's of any use, the system log reports not being able to find numerous files in data/text - is this a completly different problem that just happens to have the same symptoms? Or is it something different entirely?
    Follow the step in post 1 and if that doesn't work post back
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

Hello,

I am also getting the error "medieval 2 total war encountered an unspecified error and will now exit". I have patched the game. But the files that you mentioned are not there. In the "data" folder there are only folder. There is "animations", "cursors", "fmv", "sounds" and "world". The game is patched because I can load the game and have entered into options and in the top right corner it said "v1.1". I entered into campaign, play for a minute or two, sometimes just for a few seconds and the error appears.

I would really appreciate it any help.

Thank you.
    melfn

-----

I was just fooling around with some options in MTW2 that two errors appear. "medieval 2 total war encountered an unspecified error and will now exit" and this one "the instruction in "0x00b2f694" makes reference to the memory in "0x05b251b4". The memory can not "read". My windows is in spanish so i don't know if that would be the error that would appear if it was on a english windows. The error in spanish states: "La instruccion en "0x00b2f694" hace referencia a la memoria en "0x05b2514". La memoria no se puede "read". I don't really know what that means.

cfmonkey45's Avatar Praeses

I have the same problem, only I just installed the game ten minutes ago and did not unpack anything. I just wanted to know if I had the same problem (but I didn't unpack anything, but have the same message) before I go and delete something.

====Problem Solved====

Lack of communication from my brother; I got a new comp and he forgot to install the graphics card. That would help.
    Last edited by cfmonkey45; January 25, 2007 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Notification of problem update

I installed the game and the error happen. THen I decided to install the patch to see if that helped out but it didn't. So in the end the patch didn't help because even without a patch the error occurs. I still don't know what do to but if you do please help me that I haven't been able to play the game.

I got the same problem even though I haven't unpacked anything . Its in any battles with halberdier units . like tannenburg , I would get it and all the halberidiers where ****ed up.

Quote Originally Posted by melfn View Post
    -----

I was just fooling around with some options in MTW2 that two errors appear. "medieval 2 total war encountered an unspecified error and will now exit" and this one "the instruction in "0x00b2f694" makes reference to the memory in "0x05b251b4". The memory can not "read". My windows is in spanish so i don't know if that would be the error that would appear if it was on a english windows. The error in spanish states: "La instruccion en "0x00b2f694" hace referencia a la memoria en "0x05b2514". La memoria no se puede "read". I don't really know what that means.
    I'm getting nearly the same errors:
    the instruction in 0x00b2f694 makes reference to the memory in 0x05c47078.
    My Windows is in English, but i dunno if the error's the same.
    Better check my ATI-videodrivers for updates like ctgardner suggested.
    By the way, this is a different error then the unspecified one the topictitle mentions, right?

Lord Phoenix's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Gurbebio View Post
    I'm getting nearly the same errors:
    the instruction in 0x00b2f694 makes reference to the memory in 0x05c47078.
    My Windows is in English, but i dunno if the error's the same.
    Better check my ATI-videodrivers for updates like ctgardner suggested.
    By the way, this is a different error then the unspecified one the topictitle mentions, right?
    The error message references the instructions stored in the RAM. 0x00b2f64 is the address 00b2f64 on the 1st stick of RAM in your computer (the one closest to your CPU). The 0x is a reference to the location of the RAM, so 0x is the first slot, 1x would be the 2nd slot, 2x the 3rd slot, etc. since the computer begins numbering from 0. Basically, what it says is that it looked at the instruction on the RAM in 0x00b2f694 which told it to look at 0x05c47078 and do something with it, but it either couldn't find anything there, couldn't read anything there or found something which doesn't match what it was looking for there and couldn't figure out what to do, so the program ended.

That's just a little computer lesson in error messages. Sometimes that error means your RAM is bad or not seated fully in it's slot, especially if it happens all the time and with different programs, but for M2TW it just means that the program didn't find everything it was looking for, or one of the files is wrong. I know it gives me the same sort of error when I screw up in changing a file that it loads on startup like the export_buildings_descr.txt file, while making an error in a campaign file like desc_strat.txt just winds up with a drop to the main menu upon trying to start the campaign.

When updating drivers, be sure to uninstall the old ones first, especially for video drivers. Download the new drivers, uninstall the old ones, and restart the computer and let Windows start using the generic driver it uses when it can't find the video cards actual drivers (it will reduce screensize to 640x480 with 16 colors usually). Then install the new drivers and restart the computer. Rinse and repeat for sound drivers and others. Might also want to install the latest DirectX files from Microsoft, though you can't uninstall that before hand.

For time based crashes, ie crashes that occur after x amount of time or crashes that occur if you don't wait x amount of time between crashes, it's usually one of a few issues.

1. Heat. Your computer could be overheating and crashing.
    2. Heat Expansion. If you do not have a card or RAM stick or interior cable like an IDE cable seated properly, as the heat in the computer mounts up, it can expand slightly out of it's slot so that full contact can't be made easily, and then contract back into it's slot after cooling down.
    3. Bacterial Growth. This is sort of like heat expansion, and happens from time to time. You might not think that bacteria could live in the computer, with electricity coursing through them, but they can. If you touch the contacts on a card or RAM stick, you leave your own oils (fingerprints) and some bacteria behind. The combination of heat and food (your fingerprint, and later themselves) provides a lovely breeding ground for bacteria. As they grow, they can interfere with proper connections, or even nudge cards out of their slots. This is much less associated with the type of crashes that occur every 30 minutes or so, and more with a general slowing and crashing of the computer over time, though it can make the every 30 minutes type of crash appear.
    4. Bad RAM. RAM fills up like a bucket with water pouring into it, from the bottom up (or from the lowest address to the highest address in this case). If you have a bad address near the end of your RAM or on the 2nd RAM stick, it will take a while to reach it, and then crash upon doing so. The bigger the program, the faster it fills up, and the faster the crash. This is usually accompanied by the memory reference error I explained above or a blue screen of death with something similar in it, or sometimes a simple instant reboot. Easiest to test for if you have 2 sticks of RAM in your computer as switching the slots that they are in has an effect on the time required to crash. Also, easy to test if you have an extra stick of RAM laying around or in another computer for the same reason.

Fixes:
    1. Heat - No real fix for straight up heat crashes, except lowering the temperture in the computer. This can be achieved by getting a better cooling system or heat sink or just by taking the sides off the computer and putting a desk fan blowing into it.
    2. Heat Expansion - Open the side of the computer, unplug and replugin all the cables at both ends, as well as taking out and reinserting any RAM sticks or cards, making sure they are all properly seated in their slots when you put them back in, and screwed in in the case of cards, and locked in with the little tabs for AGP cards and RAM sticks.
    3. Bacterial Growth - Remove the cards/RAM sticks and go over the contacts with a q-tip with alcohol. Must be rubbing alcohol, nothing else, as it evaporates quickly and leaves little to no residue behind. Also, going over the contacts with a pencil eraser works pretty well for both bacterial growth and for removing oxidation from the contacts.
    4. Bad RAM. If you can pin it down to bad RAM, theres only one fix, getting a new stick of RAM.
    Last edited by Lord Phoenix; January 07, 2007 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Phoenix View Post
    The error message references the instructions stored in the RAM. 0x00b2f64 is the address 00b2f64 on the 1st stick of RAM in your computer (the one closest to your CPU). The 0x is a reference to the location of the RAM, so 0x is the first slot, 1x would be the 2nd slot, 2x the 3rd slot, etc. since the computer begins numbering from 0. Basically, what it says is that it looked at the instruction on the RAM in 0x00b2f694 which told it to look at 0x05c47078 and do something with it, but it either couldn't find anything there, couldn't read anything there or found something which doesn't match what it was looking for there and couldn't figure out what to do, so the program ended.

That's just a little computer lesson in error messages.... snipped
    LOL! Are you f'ing kidding me?

Firstly the "0x" donates hexadecimal (base-16) and not "slot 0". There is no 1x or 2x or whatever. Secondly the number is the address in the virtual address space of the process, not in the physical address space of the PC and cannot be tracked down to any particular RAM slot. The operating system will map the virtual pages to whatever free pages exist in physical memory. The error happens because it was asked to read this virtual address but no physical memory was mapped to it, most probably due to a software bug or possibly RAM failure.

Please don't speak so authoritatively about things you just make up, ta.
    Last edited by trojanfoe; February 18, 2007 at 11:52 PM. Reason: hexadecimal isn't spelt hexi-decimal

Danny_Two's Avatar Laetus

I think the conclusion is that the game is flawed, no one has come up with a difinitive answer, and I dont see SEGA/ CA doing anything to help.
    It's outragous that this game was released with such a major bug.
    Im very disapointed that Ive spent two months playing this and now it has become unplayable.

I solved this problem on my son's game last night, by installing the latest ATI graphics drivers. Frankly, if the problem is with the graphics drivers, I would have thought the error message could have been more specific, but there you are. What with an earlier "cyclic redundancy check" error when trying to install the game, it has taken me about 8 days to get the thing working.

I DO NOT have those 2 files yet my game is still crashing like hell.

Any idea?

kleemann's Avatar Libertus

Update soundcard drivers and if nessesary all drivers. I got same error. After updating soundcard drivers i don't have this error.

how do i update my drivers? I have been having this problem where the game crashes then if i restart without waiting for atleast 30 minutes the sound in the videos goes of and on.....I also had a blue screen that showed up just once it went to fast for me to see much of what it said but i caught "make sure your software/hardware devices are installed correctly" Please help, I've only had the game for 3 days!

thats funny i had been playing for quite a while now on the 1.1 patch and didnt get an unspecified error until late at night it crashed on one huge battle and gave an unspecified error.

InF3sTeD's Avatar Decanus

Mine crashes every 30 minutes... It really sucks because the game looks so good but Ill never get to play it

Quote Originally Posted by Xu Xiang Long View Post
    thats funny i had been playing for quite a while now on the 1.1 patch and didnt get an unspecified error until late at night it crashed on one huge battle and gave an unspecified error.
    Same thing here. Game was working fine, i owned almost all of western Europe. I Started a battle with the Sicilians and when i went to fight the battle on the map i got the error. I have uninstalled the game and repatched it and I still get the error. I also can't find either of the files for the fix.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast