Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Dagor Silmarillion [UPDATED]~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

Default Re: Dagor Silmarillion ~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

This is the sexiest thing I've seen today.

Default Re: Dagor Silmarillion ~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

Main character Silmarillion character portraits example:

Attachment 343918

Ignore the last post because I still seem to suck at attachments. But the next couple posts are sample character portraits that I've collected. Look like this:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thingol.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	344002 Thingol

I will try to attach the tgas I made, but I haven't figured out invisible backgrounds so someone else may have to do the finish work on them if desired for use.
    Last edited by Kellenpure; March 15, 2017 at 01:06 AM.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

House of Finarfin:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finarfin.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	343977 Finarfin Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finrod.jpg 
Views:	250 
ID:	343993 Finrod Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angrod.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	343994 Angrod Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aegnor.jpg 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	343995 Aegnor Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glorfindel.jpg 
ID:	343996 Glorfindel

Leaders of Men:

Name:	Beren.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	344001 Beren Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Huor.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	343997 Huor Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuor.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	343998 Tuor Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hurin.jpg 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	343999 Hurin Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turin.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	2.5 KB 
ID:	344000 Turin

Sons of Feanor:

Name:	Maedhros.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	343988Maedhros Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maglor.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	343989 Maglor Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Celegorm.jpg 
Views:	248 
ID:	343983 Celegorm Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caranthir.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	343982 Caranthir Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Curufin.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	2.5 KB 
ID:	343984 Curufin Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amrod.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	343980 Amrod Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amras.jpg 
ID:	343979 Amras

House of Fingolfin:

Name:	Fingolfin.jpg 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	343991 Fingolfin Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fingon.jpg 
Size:	2.0 KB 
ID:	343992 Fingon Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turgon.jpg 
Views:	244 
ID:	343990 Turgon
    Last edited by Veteraan; March 16, 2017 at 05:09 AM. Reason: consecutive posting within a short time

Those portraits look very good!

Zip file with Silmarillion character portraits in tga and jpg format. Someone else will have to figure out the portrait background formatting because I was not successful.

Dagor Silmarillion character portraits.zip

I shall take care of it. Takes no time at all. I like them by the way, thanks.

Cool - I have quite a few other generals already in the works.

now thats what i am waiting for! keeps us posted on the next patch??

A few more character portraits - the Falathrim

Name:	Cirdan.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	344274Cirdan Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beleg.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	344275Beleg Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mablung.jpg 
Views:	137 
ID:	344276Mablung

Nice choices.

No clue when I will release the updates for this, I have a good idea of what needs to be done though and figuring that out is the most time consuming part.

Em, First Age and Cirdan with beard and mustache? It's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MageNuada View Post
    Em, First Age and Cirdan with beard and mustache? It's wrong.
    I have not seen text that states that Cirdan was NOT bearded in the first age; the main reference is that he had a very long beard by the time of the Lord of the Rings. If you read up on Cirdan, he is one of the oldest of all living elves, possibly going back to when the elves originally left Cuivienen. But he also is very unique in the highly important role he plays in the fate of Middle Earth. He is referred to as extremely wise, with unusual foresight, and perhaps a chosen one of the Valar. Because of these traits I think setting him apart with the beard already in the First Age is appropriate - and I liked how the artist rendered it!

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Wrong? Naaw - it's at least plausible.

When this game occur he's not younger than around 4 thousand years old. Elves could get beard when the reached the so called 'third cycle'; and do we know Mathan (Feanor's father in law) got it already in the 'second cycle'.
    However, what defines a cycle is unknown [as it was only brought up once it likely was a rejected idea, or a temporary afterthought, but we can roll with it]. Age is no sole factor, AFAIK, as, to quote TolkienGateway in lack of original source at hand, "...Elves, who were not ancient, could enter the third stage sooner due to tragic life events."
    As we have no reference to when Cirdan got his beard, I have no issues seeing Círdan having it at this time as proposal, as long as he do not appear as ancient as in LotR. Possibly the black in the hair should be questioned, as he had silver-hair, as his kinsman Thingol, but makes him appear a younger version of himself while the silver is present enough.

All in all, Cirdan was already old. He had mornfully rejected to go to Aman that was his hearts desire, knowing he would not get to go for ages to come. He was among the mightiest in foresight in Middle-earth which ought to been a weight upon him, and he had taken responsibility for the Falathrim who had suffered defeat and great peril from Morgoth even before Noldor arrived. If a man of serious mind, empathy and duty, as he seems, these weights could moved him to the phase in life referred to as a 'third cycle' fair enough.
    Last edited by Ngugi; March 30, 2017 at 09:39 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post

When this game occur he's not younger than around 4 thousand years old. Elves could get beard when the reached the so called 'third cycle'; and do we know Mathan (Feanor's father in law) got it already in the 'second cycle'.
    However, what defines a cycle is unknown [as it was only brought up once it likely was a rejected idea, or a temporary afterthought, but we can roll with it]. Age is no sole factor, AFAIK, as, to quote TolkienGateway in lack of original source at hand, "...Elves, who were not ancient, could enter the third stage sooner due to tragic life events."
    As we have no reference to when Cirdan got his beard, I have no issues seeing Círdan having it at this time as proposal, as long as he do not appear as ancient as in LotR. Possibly the black in the hair should be questioned, as he had silver-hair, as his kinsman Thingol, but makes him appear a younger version of himself while the silver is present enough.

All in all, Cirdan was already old. He had mornfully rejected to go to Aman that was his hearts desire, knowing he would not get to go for ages to come. He was among the mightiest in foresight in Middle-earth which ought to been a weight upon him, and he had taken responsibility for the Falathrim who had suffered defeat and great peril from Morgoth even before Noldor arrived. If a man of serious mind, empathy and duty, as he seems, these weights could moved him to the phase in life referred to as a 'third cycle' fair enough.
    In terms of game play I also figured it's nice to have him readily identifiable with the beard - otherwise he's just another pretty boy elf face.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellenpure View Post
    I have not seen text that states that Cirdan was NOT bearded in the first age; the main reference is that he had a very long beard by the time of the Lord of the Rings. If you read up on Cirdan, he is one of the oldest of all living elves, possibly going back to when the elves originally left Cuivienen. But he also is very unique in the highly important role he plays in the fate of Middle Earth. He is referred to as extremely wise, with unusual foresight, and perhaps a chosen one of the Valar. Because of these traits I think setting him apart with the beard already in the First Age is appropriate - and I liked how the artist rendered it!
    1. I have completely read Silmarillion.
    2. "I have not seen text that states that Cirdan was NOT bearded in the first age;" - L.O.L. We talking about something like "Aragorn's pants". Tolkien is nowhere said about the fact that Aragorn wore pants, however, the reverse is also not said. So we can made conclusion that Aragorn didn't have pants. Also we can't say have Cirdan beard or not, but we can make conclusion as Cirdan elf and other elves did NOT have beards so Cirdan in first age did not have beard.

Ur point is view is nice but, man, there are others who have enough reasons to rwash third phase, for example Maedhros. I think Cirdan's beard in third age - Tolkien wants just to accentuate that Cirdan has been oldest elf in Middle Earth.
    Last edited by Veteraan; April 01, 2017 at 07:00 AM. Reason: consecutive posting within a short time

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Please take any further discussion on Cirdan's beard, or the lack of hair on his face to the Tolkien General Discussion II Thread.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Age is no sole factor, AFAIK, as, to quote TolkienGateway in lack of original source at hand, "...Elves, who were not ancient, could enter the third stage sooner due to tragic life events."
    Does TolkienGateway cite a source? If not it sounds more like something that was made up, or at least I do not recall Tolkien making such a statement. Anything said about 'cycles of life' other that Elves may grow beards in the third is guess work or simply made up.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageNuada View Post
    1. I have completely read Silmarillion.
    2. "I have not seen text that states that Cirdan was NOT bearded in the first age;" - L.O.L. We talking about something like "Aragorn's pants". Tolkien is nowhere said about the fact that Aragorn wore pants, however, the reverse is also not said. So we can made conclusion that Aragorn didn't have pants. Also we can't say have Cirdan beard or not, but we can make conclusion as Cirdan elf and other elves did NOT have beards so Cirdan in first age did not have beard.
    Other Elves did have beards. As Ngugi noted, Mahtan was bearded. In a picture Tolkien drew with Beleg, it looks as though Beleg has a (neatly trimmed) beard. It is possible that Tinfang (from very early writings) was bearded as well (his name means Starbeard).

edit:
    Veteraan, I was posting while you were replying.
    Last edited by Infidel144; April 01, 2017 at 07:27 AM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

@ MageNuada
    I was not the one who made the absolute statement though.
    If you said "I do not belive Cirdan had a beard" and stated your reasoning ("He's to young" or "Not enough troubled experiences yet" or what not), that would not been an issue. Perhaps alreadyed would agreed, that would been fine. But when you proclaim it is "wrong" when there's in fact no clear answer, but merely preferences, then you must accept that will be counter-argued, hehe.
    And how should we ever know how individuals differed in reaction to experiences, even if they might be the same? Maedhros was still young compaired to Cirdan and spent most of his years in the Blessed Land, where few worries occured until the very end, and where Time do not deterioate the body as it does in Middle-earth - nothing of this do however deny Maedhros might reached his third cycle ere his end [if the cycles are supposed to be taken as canon, and beards are not only an individual matter; another preference]. But since reaching your third cycle do not equal you get a beard, beard in teh third cycle was still individual, it's not relevant for the conclusion whether Maedhros or someone else did or not.

@Veteraan
    This debate is about a direct and specific content to be implemented or not into the game, for which the mod creator has not made a verdict yet, not for lore itself, so it should hardly be considered off-topic.
    However, alreadyded now knows least my stance on the topic, so I'm fine with the discussion as of this post.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

@Veteraan
    This debate is about a direct and specific content to be implemented or not into the game, for which the mod creator has not made a verdict yet, not for lore itself, so it should hardly be considered off-topic.
    However, alreadyded now knows least my stance on the topic, so I'm fine with the discussion as of this post.
    On the contrary I would say. The Mod creator stated that he liked the picture(s) and has since posted nothing to suggest otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    Nice choices.

No clue when I will release the updates for this, I have a good idea of what needs to be done though and figuring that out is the most time consuming part.
    Last edited by Veteraan; April 01, 2017 at 09:14 AM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze