Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Dagor Silmarillion [UPDATED]~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

Default Re: Dagor Silmarillion ~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

Did you apply the fix from post 121?

There will be scripts to ensure alliances. The horde AI is simple and not much much can be done with the 5 lines of code that control it so some scripts may be needed to compensate. I just got it the best I could on its own by loading up a saved game with a faction about to go horde and getting them to do what I wanted, which was essentially capture a settlement nearby instead of wonder around clueless.

Without scripts anything can happen, some things are just more or less likely.
    Last edited by alreadyded; February 24, 2017 at 12:16 PM.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Dagor Silmarillion ~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

That patch fixed it. It seems it is save game compatible after all!

It's turn 197 now and the good guys are recovering. Falathrim have retaken northern regions of Nargothrond, Doriath has established a new base in the forest of Brethil, Gondolin and House of Hador are still strong, and the Sons of Feanor are holding Ard Galen. Let's see what the next great battle will bring.

So horde mode seems like inevitability in this submod. How does one recover financially and re-establish somewhere? I was at $-200,000 by the time I took a settlement. By turn 160 (House of Bor) mostly wandering with a dwindling horde. I'm not really sure I'm into horde mode, it's kind of odd having all these new units suddenly show up when you have been decimated. I'd rather a smaller force of some most powerful units.

Started a House Marach campaign. Fingolfin done by turn 12! Minions of Morgoth invading my lands by turn 30. I managed to build a formidable army at the castle, and have a relatively small force holding one of the other settlements (four cavalry units sent a huge orc army routing -such powerful units when you learn how to use them! The other two settlements I just raised so they aren't real valuable. I lost Turin mysteriously during a battle which really bummed me out since he's one of my favorite Tolkien characters. Turn should be more bad-ass in my opinion, in fact maybe scripted to survive no matter what, it's all a matter of what forces he can round up to make a difference not whether he lives.

im sure Turin will be a little better after polish, i myself just added a few traits to him and a more suitable portrait, started a campoaign as Beor.....getting wasted haha hoping i can establish a settlement at Amon Ereb and possibly take the southern forest lands quickly to attempt to stem the onslaught that is morgoth....

I forgot to upload a balance patch.

I don't know if I will make the young characters good from the start, they will not be bad but they haven't done anything yet (some shouldn't even be born yet). Probably scripted buffs when they get a bit older.

Some of them, like Turin and Beren, will get a respawn in a safe place (usually Nevrast) if they die, but only once and possibly only for the AI.
    Last edited by alreadyded; February 26, 2017 at 02:55 PM.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Is the War of Wrath script included in this release? My Feanor campaign is getting stale. It's basically 2 sieges a turn during the stack spawn time, and clicking end turn in the mean time. I can't lose a siege, and I can't expand. Actually that's not quite true, I could expand if I wanted to, but the longer your border is the harder the stack spawn hits you, so if I took3 or 4 settlements I wouldn't be able to defend against the next spawn.

As for how to make things more interesting, I'm not sure. I'm on turn 200, so this mod has actually kept me interested longer than any other Total War game ever did. But turn 200 is when something has to happen. I think this is the time for a finale, like a ridiculous stack spawn by Morgoth (I'm thinking trolls, balrogs and dragons), followed by the War of Wrath 20-50 turns later.

Actually I have another question, what will you do for War of Wrath? If you just spawn Valar stacks in Nevrast it'll take 50 turns before they actually do anything. And even then they will never liberate all of Beleriand. Or will you just say "Hey hey, the Valar came, the three evil factions are dead. Enjoy!"

No scripts yet, I haven't even finished the start setup yet so the gameplay hasn't been worked on to make it fun yet. Once I get the start positions done I will focus on the first 100-200 turns, than the next 100-200, then whatever is left.

For the Valar, there will be some stacks spawned that you don't control that will steadily conquer as they go, but all the factions will get stuff too. But ya the plan is to actually take back Beleriand over like 100 turns. Basically a powerflip where the bad guys are on the backfoot.

Edit: The Valar stuff will not be added for awhile, but I will add placeholder scripts that spawn eagles, ents, Elven reinforcements from Valinor, etc.

Simple stuff that will already be in the game to make use of. The main point of me releasing it is to get useful feedback, so even placeholder stuff is just as good as the real thing for testing. I can just swap in later so I may never even release it, unless someone else helps make it I wouldn't feel at all obligated too and I wouldn't need feedback.

Speaking of help, I am still looking for people to gather and add in character portraits.
    Last edited by alreadyded; February 27, 2017 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    Speaking of help, I am still looking for people to gather and add in character portraits.
    Is that something relatively easy? If you can steer me to a tutorial I'm sure I can find plenty of pics.

You may want to consider using all drawings/art for the first age portraits. Much more material to choose from, and would give it more of an ancient feel.

The images just need to be resized and given the same name as the character. Opening a pre-existing one, replacing the image, and saving it as a different name is the best way to not mess up the file saving stuff.

I assume THIS is the best tutorial from the search I just did. I never needed a tutorial for portraits though so I never read it.

Hey guys I'm reading this and it seems that people are playing this mod already or at least beta testing for mod team, since I can't find any download links anywhere on any webpages. I was wondering if I could have a hand in testing the mod if your are willing, anyways I thought I'd put it out there.

P.S. my modding ability of total war games is fair but I have absolutely no experience modding medieval 2 or Rome total war, more of a PFM and ESF editor guy
    Host of the Napoleon Total War AMERICAN CIVIL WAR 2.1 MOD Discord Server - https://discord.gg/6JWWBQq "TUNNELSSSS....ARE USELESS, so why bother anyway!" - Captain Henry Wirz

Quote Originally Posted by warboy View Post
    Hey guys I'm reading this and it seems that people are playing this mod already or at least beta testing for mod team, since I can't find any download links anywhere on any webpages. I was wondering if I could have a hand in testing the mod if your are willing, anyways I thought I'd put it out there.

P.S. my modding ability of total war games is fair but I have absolutely no experience modding medieval 2 or Rome total war, more of a PFM and ESF editor guy
    First Age campaigns are located in these files (in this other thread ):http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...reme-prejudice

It is a submod with lots of different campaigns, and one of them is First Age.

@alreadyded, started a Dagor Silmarillion First Age campaign with Kingdom of Doriath, and my first battle CTDs against Ungolianth army, plus, my general`s bodyguard are Silver surfers.
    Last edited by ElvenKind; March 02, 2017 at 11:12 AM.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

I haven't released it yet, these guys just started playing it anyway from my backup files.

OK, so, I should stop testing the campaign ATM ? BTW, had just one UI glitch in Doriath campaign, one battle CTD in five battles, turn times are veeery fast, the bad factions are atm destroying everything on their path, and, it looks like I am next in their way.

Next turns are gonna get ugly. For them.

Okay got it working and I must say, brilliant work! spiders, dragons etc and the animations to go with plus all those campaigns plus the units ohhhh man all those extra units, LOVEEEEE IT. I don't get any crashes with creatures in battle as I have the same os as Alreadydead win 7, few things I noticed and I realize lots of work still to be done, I click on units and characters and get the old medieval 2 total war campaign voices like orcs saying sire, etc and not the corresponding Middle earth Lore voices/faction voices. Also when creatures take hits they scream out human voices instead of say screeching or whatever, just thought I'd mention my findings.
    Last edited by warboy; March 03, 2017 at 04:34 PM.
    Host of the Napoleon Total War AMERICAN CIVIL WAR 2.1 MOD Discord Server - https://discord.gg/6JWWBQq "TUNNELSSSS....ARE USELESS, so why bother anyway!" - Captain Henry Wirz

OK - I took my first shot at a few custom portraits for first age characters (attached). Seems like I'm doing everything right (using GIMP, same format and scaling), but when I tried to test them by substituting in a custom portrait file they would not show up in the game.

Also, I noticed that the portraits typically are whited out behind the head - is that necessary or can you leave the background from the original image?

Anyhow, if I'm on the right track let me know and I will continue to hunt down potential portraits.

Custom Portraits First Age.zip

My Dagor Silly Doriath campaign is getting destroyed by constant random UI glitches.

Here is a save game from 160+ turns if you want to check out anything.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    OK AD - I have 18 of the top First Age players with .tga character portraits tested and ready to go. I researched the hair color, family trees, temperament, etc so they are book consistent. I'm going with art only - no portraits of movie people or Renaissance Faire geeks (which I was years ago).

What I need to know is how would you prefer that I submit them.

Quote Originally Posted by warboy View Post
    Also when creatures take hits they scream out human voices instead of say screeching or whatever
    I'll get it fixed, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellenpure View Post
    OK - I took my first shot at a few custom portraits for first age characters (attached). Seems like I'm doing everything right (using GIMP, same format and scaling), but when I tried to test them by substituting in a custom portrait file they would not show up in the game.

Also, I noticed that the portraits typically are whited out behind the head - is that necessary or can you leave the background from the original image?

Anyhow, if I'm on the right track let me know and I will continue to hunt down potential portraits.

Custom Portraits First Age.zip
    You may need to add a "Alpha Channel" to make the background invisible (not white). The originals probably do this. Just use "Merge Visible Layers" instead of "Flatten Image" and it should be the same. Chrome will not even let me open the zipped file, blocked it for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    My Dagor Silly Doriath campaign is getting destroyed by constant random UI glitches.

Here is a save game from 160+ turns if you want to check out anything.
    Maybe factions missing something like a victory conditions image or maybe having too many is the problem and deleting them all will help (as with quite a few other UI crashes). That is all I can think of off the top of my head other than the buildings being re-purposed for use in town and castle settlements. That could be causing it but the buildings have always been that way and need to be to fit so many in this game. Some other mod had this problem and I read about it, they found a way to fix apparently but I think they just kept regenerating those UI files until it went away. So try moving some code to very common buildings to the top and regen I guess. I haven't had the problem in a very long time probably a year, and only twice total. That was probably because my computer had not been restarted in a week, and I had tons of other stuff running, and I opened and improperly exited the game many times. But those files being regened may be why. You can also try removing some tech trees you never even build, too many of these could potentially be a problem since vanilla m2tw never had so many. When I experienced it it was on turn 1 so no settlements even had lots of buildings yet so I don't know if buildings have anything to do with it.

Most importantly make sure your graphics card drivers are the best available, which is not necessarily the newest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellenpure View Post
    OK AD - I have 18 of the top First Age players with .tga character portraits tested and ready to go. I researched the hair color, family trees, temperament, etc so they are book consistent. I'm going with art only - no portraits of movie people or Renaissance Faire geeks (which I was years ago).

What I need to know is how would you prefer that I submit them.
    Well if you are tired of spending time on it just upload as is and I will find someone else to carry on.

I prefer them to be foldered up so I can copy/paste a single folder to install them all. Beggars can't be choosers though.
    Last edited by alreadyded; March 11, 2017 at 12:23 PM.