Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] Greek Factions

Ritter-Floh's Avatar Artifex

Default [Preview] Greek Factions

This small overhaul brings some faction unique units to many greek minor factions and will be released with 1.2. Most of them replace existing generic units. Here are some pictures of the reworked and unique units:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(Chaonian Guard) The Chaonians claim that their royal house is of Trojan descent, asserting ancestry through the eponymous hero Chaon, who gave his name to their city Chaonia. These men are some of the best phalangites in the world, comparable to the silver shields and pezhtetairoi.

(Molossian Elite Hoplites) These men are traditionally recruited from the most valiant of the Molossian tribe. Equipped with hoplon and kopis, these men are deadly on the battlefield and have proven many times their prowess in battle. They have many similarities with the Hypaspists, and every Epirote army must include them.

(Thesprotian Heavy Infantry) The Thessprotians are one of most important tribes of Epirus. These elite Pheraspidai are agile troops, capable of throwing javelins and fighting at close range with a hoplon and kopis. They are a powerful asset for any Epirote army.

(Bosporan Royal Cavalry) The Bosporan kingdom, due to its position, has to face many nomadic raids, so it has adopted many elements from nomadic warfare, including the emphasis on cavalry. These elite horsemen are the strongest assets of the kingdom. They form the general's bodyguard on every campaign, but sometimes they accompany the king himself as well.

(Bosporan Royal Guard) These royal guards of the Bosporan Kingdom, usually composed by the sons of the nobility, have many similarities with the Macedonian Hypaspists.

(Bosporan Infantry) Roman presence has influenced the people of this region, who have adopted many elements of Roman culture. The Romans have trained them to fight, and they have fought on the side of the Romans, trying to protect their country from the Nomads.

(Bosporan Thureophoroi) As some of the most basic troops of the kingdom, Entopioi ("locals") are armoured with a thureos and a spear.

(Galatian Warriors) Fighting in the Celtic way with sword and shield, these warriors carry the finest equipment the armouries of Pontus can offer!

(Chaldean Peltasts) Hearkening from the Pontic mainland, the Chaldeans fight with courage and are loyal to the Pontic kings. This is the reason the Pontic kings offer them the chance to use Greek weapons like thureos shields or their helmets.

(Pontic Companions) The guards of the Pontic king himself are called Pontic Companions, and they fight with shields and spears. It is a rare sight to see them in a Pontic army if the king is absent, because they will never break their oath to protect their king with their lives.

(Sinopian Thureophoroi) These men are the descendants of the first defenders of Sinope. As time has passed and warfare evolved, these Sinopians now fight as thureophoroi and can hold off almost any enemy of Pontus.

(Trapezontian Swordsmen) Belonging to the higher classes of Trapezos, these swordsmen can afford the best armour and weapons, which in combination with their military prowess makes them reliable heavy infantry.

(Rhodian Picked Hoplites) Elite hoplite units are common in ancient Greek armies. The Rhodioi Epilektoi are Rhodian hoplites picked by the Rhodian state for their abilities and valour.

(Rhodian Marines) Rhodes is an island therefore it couldn't be famous for her land armies but rather for her capable navy.The Rhodian navy made Rhodes a regional power which controlled in a great degree the south-eastern Aegean. These Marines along with the Rhodian Hoplites were composing the maain body of the Rhodian army.

(Philioi Thureophoroi) The Thureophoroi are gradually becoming the most frequently used military unit in Hellenistic armies. The Dorians of Doris, a coastal region of Asia Minor, are no exception to that trend. They are related to the Rhodians and sometimes under Rhodian dominance, therefore they are recruited as an necessary addition for the Rhodian army, in order to keep pace in the new military environment.

(Syracusan Cavalry9 The Greeks of Magna Graecia have a tradition of worthy and reliable cavalrymen.

(Syracusan Pikemen) As Syracusan ambition grows, so does the need of specialized units. These Greek allies fulfil the role of a heavy pike unit.

(Syracusan Guards) Syracuse is ruled by tyrants, and these important men recruit only the best for their personal guard.

(Samnite Medium Infantry) The Samnites are a warlike Italian people, and the Syracusans employ them as medium infantry.

(Syracusan Heavy Infantry) The Greeks of Sicily have quickly adopted the Roman style of warfare.

(Massalian Heavy Cavalry) The use of cavalry in the Massalian army is a necessity. The Celts are able to field a very capable cavalry, frequently leading incursions into Massalian territory. Cavalry of their own is a necessary response until the rest of the Massalian army can be mobilised. This task is handled by the Ephippoi Thorakitai, an elite heavy cavalry unit influenced by Celtic and Roman practices.

(Ligurian Infantry) The Ligurians are the native inhabitants of Northwestern Italy and the area around Massalia. The Massalians have developed a symbiosis with them, trading with them and using Ligurians in their army, either through treaties or as mercenaries.

(Massalian Marine Swordsmen) Massalia does not follow the classical evolution of Hellenistic armies with the adoption of the pike phalanx, but instead she has developed her own tradition, influenced by Celtic and Roman influences. These marines form an elite corps, fighting in the Roman fashion to defend Massalia on land and at sea.

(Massalian Veteran Hoplites) The Massalians are forced to live under constant military awareness with drills, patrols and military training due to the unstable relations with the neighbouring tribes, as well as raids and the Carthaginian threat. The Palaimachoi Hoplitai are a corps of heavy hoplites comprised of veteran and picked hoplites who are experienced from these constant conflicts, and are equipped by the Massalian state with a new type of chainmail armour of Massalian design.

(Romanised Infantry) Massalia has traditionally been a Roman ally. due to the conflict with Carthage for the supremacy in the Western and Northern Mediterranean, and due to the increasing power of the Celtic tribes in Gaul. Many times the Roman army has aided the Massalian army with its infantry which, through discipline and tactics, was able to withstand the Celtic threat.

(Galatian Infantry) After Pergamon's first hostile encounter with Galatians, the Pergamene state has begun hiring Galatian mercenaries, who now form a significant part of the Pergamene infantry.

(Pergamene Pikemen) The veteran Kleroukhoi phalangites have become the main body of the Attalid infantry during the long strife with the Seleucids in Asia Minor.

(Phrygian Peltasts) The Phrygians, relatives of the Thracians, have for centuries fought as light infantry and very capable peltasts. The Attalids, who rule a great part of Phrygia, continued the tradition by incorporating Phrygian peltasts in their armies.

(Pergamene Royal Companions) These royal guardsmen are elite spearmen, modeled after the hypaspists. Their name means "ruler's companions," derived from the companion of the Pergamene dynast, the traditional ruling title of Attalus before adopting the title "basileus" (king).

(Trallian Slingers) The Trallians are a Thracian tribe which migrated to Asia Minor at some point and underwent a process of Hellenisation to a great degree. The Pergamene kingdom takes advantage of the settlement of Trallians in its domain, and so can field some of the best slingers in the ancient world.

Credits:
    A huge thanks to the Total War Hellas Unit Pack Team, especially koultouras for permissions. The new greek units (ideas, names, descriptions and some armours) are based on the research and work of this great team.
    We also say thank you to the talented texturers, who did the new armours:
    -Pacco
    -Leif Erickson
    -Mattheaus
    -Absinthia
    -Evyattar

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: [Preview] Greek Factions

That does it.... I need to steal a computer to play this maxed out....

Melvasul's Avatar Biarchus

New run coming! :3

Could it be made a "comparison" post with the past version of the units?

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk

So many cool new units.

Libertus

Very cool! I'm excited for a Syracuse and Pergamon campaign (especially since they will now have walled cities to start).

Will Rhodes still only be playable in the Macedonian Wars campaign? Or are they being made available for the Grand Campaign?

Civis
    Malang city, East Java province, Indonesia

that's cool, awesome design.
    I still confusing, if I decided make Hellenic league, will I have access to recruit that Epeiros and Bosphorus unique units or not ?

Fantastic work!

Will the other base units in these factions get increased variety in armor and shields ?
    ---------------------------------Check out my mod --------------------------------

Good stuff! I'm looking forward to Massalia in particular! Greek ftw! Also syricusian samnite medium infantry (although I feel bad for that one guy who has to fight without any shoes).

Quote Originally Posted by Cleeon View Post
    I still confusing, if I decided make Hellenic league, will I have access to recruit that Epeiros and Bosphorus unique units or not ?
    P.S. If you made it so the hellenic league had access to all unique units I would love you long time.

Looks great, looking forward to Pontus with their Galatians

Stop adding life to DLCs, I gotta buy something else during the sales
    Also, I too support adding Rhodos to campaign by default. Will there be any major naval overhaul in 1.2?
    Art finds her own perfection within, and not outside of herself. She is not to be judged by any external standard of resemblance. She is a veil, rather than a mirror. -Oscar Wilde

I love the look of them, but I have a question about the Syracusan Thorakitai. It says that the Samnites copied the Roman way of war, but wasn't it the Romans that copied the Samnites?

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Wow. ^^ Good thing I got the Greek Faction pack. :3

​~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay the Byzantine View Post
    Stop adding life to DLCs, I gotta buy something else during the sales
    Also, I too support adding Rhodos to campaign by default. Will there be any major naval overhaul in 1.2?
    Rhodes will be gc playable, yes.

Naval mechanics recieved a huge overhaul already in 1.1.

Question: Are these the complete list of units and factions revamped or will there be more? I'm not sure after reading the OP first sentence, so just asking
    Btw, Great preview so far!

it's a selection of units, but not the whole part

Quote Originally Posted by Cleeon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbad View Post
    P.S. If you made it so the hellenic league had access to all unique units I would love you long time.
    Unfortunately when you confederate you only have your initial roster to choose from. Besides any unique units you may pick up from confederated armies, the only unit editions are general units in the exact case of if you disband an acquired general, he can be redeployed with the general unit he came with even though it isn't part of your roster.

I don't believe this is something we can change, unfortunately.

It would make a lot of sense for the Greek Confederation as they had distinct units that would join up from different cities. So you could lead a Greek "coalition of the willing".

Quote Originally Posted by Ritter-Floh View Post
    it's a selection of units, but not the whole part
    Excellent! and thanks for the quick answer
    +rep

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Excellent! and thanks for the quick answer
    +rep
    glad you like the preview - this means a lot to me

Can't give rep to either of you lol
    Art finds her own perfection within, and not outside of herself. She is not to be judged by any external standard of resemblance. She is a veil, rather than a mirror. -Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast