Thread: PSA: Faction autonomy

Default PSA: Faction autonomy

I wanted to inform the server, faction leaders especially. If you decide to remove one of your faction members buildings, you as a Faction Leader can be banned on account of "griefing" the land that you own and have full control over member wise, and land wise. This was absent from the rules I believe, I was fully under the impression that as a former faction leader and former head of moderation, that faction leaders can't be banned for removing structures in their land that they didn't want in their land, apparently I was wrong. It's very unfortunate that my friends were banned. Not to mention weird seeing as how the faction member who made the report didn't actually use their own money to claim the land that he was building on. I just think this needs to be explicitly mentioned somewhere in the rules. I have edited and removed several peoples buildings in my faction without their permission, thankfully for me none of them were disgruntled enough to report me back in the day.

I dealt with and looked over a lot of cases as a moderator in our minecraft community and I couldn't even imagine a scenario where a faction leader and his closest officers are banned for removing structures in their land. I'm not really here to criticize moderation but to instead bring up the apparent new rule or change the server has gone through. I was under the impression that as a faction leader I had full autonomy over every chunk that my faction claims, and if someone in my faction didn't like it, they could pack their bags, steal some of our items, kill us with lava, make a new faction and fight us, rally other factions to war my faction, (report them to moderation and get them banned for several days in the middle of their big war?).

It's really unfortunate what happened to my friends, I hope this PSA results in no other faction leaders getting banned for the same reason!
    Last edited by AtlasJackal; August 28, 2016 at 06:40 PM.

Default Re: PSA: Faction autonomy

Thank you AJ for this informative PSA.

Last edited by firebird1170; August 29, 2016 at 12:14 PM.

There was much more involved in the case you're hinting at, as a faction leader you are of course able to decide what you want built inside of your land. That however is not an open license to be a dick to other players (even those in your faction), especially when there are so many alternatives available to being one. I can't go into details regarding the report itself or infractions issued due to staff policy, which is why I encourage anyone with an interest in these matters to apply to join moderation.

This particular decision was unanimous, and made by 8 moderators from most factions on the server. At the end of the day, if you do not go out of your way to be a dick you won't have anything to worry about. If this is something that you like to do, then so long as we are on TWC this is something you definitely WILL have to worry about. TWC is GED's domain, and therefor staff will move to curtail behavior that GED has specifically taken issue with in the community.

Ditronian

Quote Originally Posted by Ditronian View Post
    There was much more involved in the case you're hinting at, as a faction leader you are of course able to decide what you want built inside of your land.
    I don't think there's much more to the case than I'm hinting at. I'm currently talking to ALL involved parties in Skype I'd like to think I'm pretty informed at this point (the person who made the report and the people who suffered from its consequences).

And, honestly... It really seems the opposite, as my faction leader was banned for editing his land :/

That however is not an open license to be a dick to other players (even those in your faction), especially when there are so many alternatives available to being one.
    I don't see how removing a structure in your own land that you didn't want there is someone using an "open license to be a dick to other players." If our faction leader didn't like the structure there he should be able to remove it whenever and however he wants.
    This particular decision was unanimous, and made by 8 moderators from most factions on the server.
    Does a decision made unanimously by a group of people indicate it was an okay decision to make? I'd argue as a former moderator that there is no way in hell that this would have ever been passed through at any point in the past, let alone unanimously passed.

At the end of the day, if you do not go out of your way to be a dick you won't have anything to worry about. If this is something that you like to do, then so long as we are on TWC this is something you definitely WILL have to worry about.
    I don't think anyone here has any interest in going out of their way to be a dick.

There was much more involved in the case you're hinting at, as a faction leader you are of course able to decide what you want built inside of your land. That however is not an open license to be a dick to other players (even those in your faction), especially when there are so many alternatives available to being one. I can't go into details regarding the report itself or infractions issued due to staff policy, which is why I encourage anyone with an interest in these matters to apply to join moderation.

Just so we're clear, if i told my faction to go and remove the building with picks, would that be malicious enough to constitute in a ban?

As a sidenote, I spoke with the member about us not wanting the building there and he agreed the day before the report was filed. No I don't have screenshots (how unfortunate) but it's in the chat logs somewhere. Interpreting an obvious joke as malicious intent is moderations choice, it's just clearly the wrong one

Also just to be pedantic, does it actually ban doing this in the rules anywhere? If not then a warning followed by alteration to the rules would make far more sense. Punishing someone for a rule that doesn't exist yet is pretty much tyranny.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Keep it civil.