Thread: How to use mod with Steam MTW 2 Kingdoms

Default How to use mod with Steam MTW 2 Kingdoms

I noticed that there are no mods for Kingdoms on Steam and I have the steam version of the game and i want to play SS. Is there a way to play this mod even with steam?

Default Re: How to use mod with Steam MTW 2 Kingdoms

Yes, there is a way to play the mod using Steam. I installed the mod about two weeks ago using the method below:

1. Watch this video and follow the instructions on where to place the game files: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHRyFtS3njY

2. I also installed the Bug Fix Compilation v. 1.27 available here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13723098

3. Once all of the files are in place, then go to your Steam library --> Right Click "Medieval II: Total War" --> Select "Properties" --> Select "Set Launch Options" --> Enter "--features.mod=mods/SS6.3" without the quotation marks. The game should load Stainless Steel on launch.

Quote Originally Posted by BrucetheQuokka View Post
    Yes, there is a way to play the mod using Steam. I installed the mod about two weeks ago using the method below:

1. Watch this video and follow the instructions on where to place the game files: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHRyFtS3njY

2. I also installed the Bug Fix Compilation v. 1.27 available here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13723098

3. Once all of the files are in place, then go to your Steam library --> Right Click "Medieval II: Total War" --> Select "Properties" --> Select "Set Launch Options" --> Enter "--features.mod=mods/SS6.3" without the quotation marks. The game should load Stainless Steel on launch.
    So I tried doing this but none of the links work except Torrent and I don't know how to torrent anything. Which link did you use? And by links I mean none of the 6.3 links work.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

What torrent???

For SS6.3 and SS6.4, the links for download were updated a few months ago. You can find them here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14941981
    ... and post below. There are links on Dropbox, Mega and Gdrive.

For the bugfix compilation, the link is on Mediafire.

I might get your post wrong but there's no torrent.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Mustard View Post
    I noticed that there are no mods for Kingdoms on Steam and I have the steam version of the game and i want to play SS. Is there a way to play this mod even with steam?
    It is nowhere near as complicated as BrucetheQuokka describes. Just download and install Stainless Steel, copy your medieval2 executable and rename that copy Kingdoms (don't know wether this is needed for SS but it is for other mods so one might as well) and launch the mod via its shortcut.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    What torrent???

For SS6.3 and SS6.4, the links for download were updated a few months ago. You can find them here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14941981
    ... and post below. There are links on Dropbox, Mega and Gdrive.

For the bugfix compilation, the link is on Mediafire.

I might get your post wrong but there's no torrent.
    Ok so I downloaded all of the .bin files and i downloaded the exe file and ran it but i don't know where to put the bin files. Do i put them in the same ss6.3 folder?

Blog Entries

I think you misunderstood the installation step. You need the .exe file and the 4 .bin files. Keep these 5 files in the same folder.
    Run the .exe to install the mod.
    When asked for the location of the installation folder, check that it is the one where M2TW game is installed.

Once the installation is completed, do what lolIsuck has written. The medieval exe should be in your M2TW game. Make a copy of that file and renamme it as kingdoms.exe. That should be it.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I think you misunderstood the installation step. You need the .exe file and the 4 .bin files. Keep these 5 files in the same folder.
    Run the .exe to install the mod.
    When asked for the location of the installation folder, check that it is the one where M2TW game is installed.

Once the installation is completed, do what lolIsuck has written. The medieval exe should be in your M2TW game. Make a copy of that file and renamme it as kingdoms.exe. That should be it.
    So I don't put the exe file and bin files in the mods folder? I can either put them in the mods folder or put them in the Medieval II Total War folder. I had to delete the ss 6.3 folder cause i had already installed it without the bin files in there.

Blog Entries

Leave or move (up to you) the downloaded files (1 .exe and 5.bin) in a temporary folder. Run the .exe. That's it. Once the installation is completed, you should have a folder name SS6.3 in your mods folder located in your M2TW folder.
    Then, you can do what lolIsuck has said.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; September 02, 2016 at 01:40 AM. Reason: typo

yeah, this doesn't work, instead of pontificating about how easy it is how about some real instructions? i just copied the medieval 2 exe renamed it kingdoms.exe and since nobody tells me where to put it and the warning that comes up says it's not found in my m2tw folder, i figured i'd put it in there, double click on the stainless steel launcher and the same thing comes up just that kingdoms.exe can't be found is it in medieval 2 folder. so is it in the wrong place or what now?

Blog Entries

Well, actually, don't blame the mod but blame Steam instead. Without their silly change, it would have stayed as simple as it was by the past.

Regarding your kingdoms.exe, just think a bit:
    Q: Where did you fing the medieval.exe?
    A: In your main M2TW folder.
    Q: Where do you have to put your kingdoms.exe?
    A: Same answer as above, in your main M2TW folder.

Read this thread for more details:
    New Steam Update + "fix for mods"

Last edited by Lifthrasir; September 21, 2016 at 12:53 AM.