• Lyon

0 0%
  • Dinamo Zagreb

0 0%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Champions League/Europa League 2016/17

Default Re: Champions League/Europa League 2016/17

Quote Originally Posted by Treva ★ View Post
    Well, well, well, things happen and we have the final 16! Barcelona can draw PSG as they do every year, City can draw Napoli, Arsenal are now primed to draw Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, whichever is stronger, and many other interesting combinations are available. Does anybody know when the draw for the 1/8 finals is to take place? This week? Next?
    Monday I think.

What a great group stage that was for BVB. 2 new records set, group winners and 2 late equalizers against Real. Think they aren't too furious about second place.

Really enjoyable stuff. People are slating the bloated CL, but the matches were really great since Real, Sporting and even Legia tried to play football What a nice contrast to the Bundesliga, where 80% of the teams just destroy the game and try to hit us on the break.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

This week, on Friday, we have the draw.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Monday 12th.

Yep, fully expect Arsenal to draw Real or Bayern Munich or the worst team in the round and still get beat. Things are just going to well at the moment.

It will be december 12. Next monday.

Usualy it is on fridays, but they changed i guess.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; December 08, 2016 at 01:42 PM.

Bayern-Arsenal and PSG-Barcelona are the big matches next turn.

PSG will start to feel like Ac Milan used to, picking Barcelona every year in a row.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Bayern-Arsenal and PSG-Barcelona are the big matches next turn.

PSG will start to feel like Ac Milan used to, picking Barcelona every year in a row.
    It's ridiculous, no matter what Arsenal and PSG do, they always get a top 5 team in the first round.

Though if you want to get to the end, sooner or later you have to face those. If you can't go through them, then you probably don't deserve to go that far.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yeah but it's easier to get to the end if you're facing Benfica and Sevilla before the semis than if you're facing Bayern and Barca. You can get away with a bad game against Benfica, but a bad game against Bayern means it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallus View Post
    It's ridiculous, no matter what Arsenal and PSG do, they always get a top 5 team in the first round.
    Was their own fault in past years though. They always were in pot 1 yet made nothing out of it.

Treva ★'s Avatar Primicerius

Well, well, well, things happen and we have the final 16! Barcelona can draw PSG as they do every year, City can draw Napoli, Arsenal are now primed to draw Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, whichever is stronger, and many other interesting combinations are available. Does anybody know when the draw for the 1/8 finals is to take place? This week? Next?
    Called it! At least Arsenal will finally have the second leg at home (they'll draw Barça for the QF if they get through here)
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Though if you want to get to the end, sooner or later you have to face those. If you can't go through them, then you probably don't deserve to go that far.
    Riiight. This very same year, Madrid faced Roma, Wolfsburg, and a collapsing Manchester City, then Madrid barely scraped a draw against Atlético (Griezmann had a penalty saved IIRC).
    Meanwhile, the four teams which had last knocked out Madrid in either the Copa del Rey or Champions League eliminated each other: Bayern-Juventus in the 1/8 finals, Barcelona-Atlético in the QF, then Bayern-Atlético for the semis. Randomness seems to be imperfect, and seemed that way even before Blatter admitted that he knew the draws were fixed.
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!
    Dè a tha Montrose Mór ag ràdh?
    Heavy Metal will never die. - Sir Christopher Frank Carrandini Lee.

@haile you wish is granted!

Called it! At least Arsenal will finally have the second leg at home (they'll draw Barça for the QF if they get through here)

Riiight. This very same year, Madrid faced Roma, Wolfsburg, and a collapsing Manchester City, then Madrid barely scraped a draw against Atlético (Griezmann had a penalty saved IIRC).
    Meanwhile, the four teams which had last knocked out Madrid in either the Copa del Rey or Champions League eliminated each other: Bayern-Juventus in the 1/8 finals, Barcelona-Atlético in the QF, then Bayern-Atlético for the semis. Randomness seems to be imperfect, and seemed that way even before Blatter admitted that he knew the draws were fixed.
    Though Blatter run FIFA. UEFA draws are rigged as well? It wouldn't surprise me.

Well, Øvrebø was never investigated after his performance in Chelski-Barcelona.
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!

Quote Originally Posted by Gallus View Post
    Yeah but it's easier to get to the end if you're facing Benfica and Sevilla before the semis than if you're facing Bayern and Barca. You can get away with a bad game against Benfica, but a bad game against Bayern means it's over.
    In theory anyway. I actualy dont see Arsenal, a superior team then benfica, or Sevilla. Well specialy so, i mean.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; December 17, 2016 at 05:26 PM.

PSG not worth their millions
    Let's change that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Ozil's goal was sublime - that was just pure class. So elegant. And the composure was mighty.
    Not the same as the one he scored today.
    СИНДИКАТ!

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Oh dear ing god....

10 - 10 ing goals for Bayern.... This has to be the lowest point I can recall for Arsenal. Even worse than the 8 Utd hit us for, at least we can blame that on having a piss poor team back then. Even blaming the ref for his terrible decisions doesn't excuse this....
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; March 07, 2017 at 06:11 PM.

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

You can blame him for the 5 of today's match, at least. He ended the game for Arsenal after that ridiculous penalty and red card. Of course Bayern still deserved to pass, but solely because of the first leg.

I don't get why you still keep Wenger, though. He should've been gone for a long time now.

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

To me that was a clear penalty (but so was the foul by Alonso on Walcott) just not sure about the red card. But who knows what Koscielny might have said to the referee after he was given a yellow. But it's still no excuse for the team to fall apart like that, just like in Munich and many other big games over the last few years (6:0 vs Chelsea, 6:3 vs Man City, 5:1 vs Liverpool, that was in 2013/14 alone). This team is mentally weak and disorganised and the fault lies with Wenger mainly. But the media rather criticises Sanchez for having a wee giggle with Cech when he's one of the few players that care

Al Thani btfo.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Well, wow. For those who didn't watch the Barça-PSG, it's the biggest comeback in the history of the Champions League.

Barça deserved the win, and even as a Madrid fan, I'm glad they sent home a team that did nothing but park the bus with a 4 goal advantage. That said, shameful display by the refs. They ate the constant dives by Neymar and Suárez and gave away two non-existent penalties out of them. This continuous unsportsmanlike attitude by some players makes one get really fed up with football.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; March 08, 2017 at 04:32 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast