Thread: TATW doesnt launch after installation

Default TATW doesnt launch after installation

I've downloaded the TATW 3.2 Patch and I installed it where the installation program told me to install it (C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War ), but since I use steam I copied it and pasted it underneath the other mods (americas, teutonic, etc.) in my steam folder ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods ). I renamed the folder teutonic and gave the original teutonic folder another name, opened steam and tried to launch Medieval II: Total War Teutonic. Every installation walkthrough I've been able to find told me that TATW should now launch, and indeed the Third Age Total War launch-screen appears, but only for a second and then it disappears and I can't play the mod. Same story when I try naming the folder americas, etc. Does anyone know what I did wrong and how I can fix it?

P.S. I'm sorry if this question has already been asked elsewhere on the forum, but I didn't see this particular problem anywhere else.

Default Re: TATW doesnt launch after installation

1) Delete Third_Age_3 folder from your steam/.. / Medieval II TW/ mods folder ( the one you just installed and which does not work).

2) Go here, and apply first step explained for Windows Vista or 7 Users : Edit Security for your main Medieval II TW Folder.
    ( if you have Windows 8/10, use these steps: LINK )

3) All Third Age TW.exe files need to have the location of your main Medieval II TW folder as a destination path for the actual installation, which means that your destination path is: Computer > Local Disk (C: or D: or whatever the letter it is) > Program Files (x86) > Steam > SteamApps > common > Medieval II Total War ( if you have not installed your Medieval II Total War in Program Files (x86) folder, then just point all.exe Installers to the CORRECT location of your Medieval II Total War folder).

Sometimes the best thing to do is:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

a) open your main M2TW folder, right mouse click in the Address Bar and press: Copy address as text.

b) And then replace the Default Installation path in ALL FOUR TATW Installers with this one you have just copied ( Copy address as text ):

just select the Default installation path, right mouse click and press PASTE to replace it with the location of YOUR main M2TW Folder .

4) If your Steam M2TW is updated to the latest version, then just rename one of your Kingdoms campaign folders ( teutonic to teutonic_original) and, rename Third_Age_3 folder as teutonic. Go to your Steam, and launch Teutonic campaign, or in this case TATW mod.

For battle crashes, google for: How to disable/turn off daylight saving setting on Windows 7/ 8/ or 10
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

It worked! Thanks!

I'm also having a problem with installation, or rather a problem after installation, perhaps...? I had to uninstall then reinstall the TATW mod for a submod (as the submod had updated and basically needed a "clean slate"). I successfully reinstalled the mod (several times), however, each time I've tried opening the game it would crash at the very first loading screen. As I said before, I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times now, and each time the same has happened. Honestly, I don't really know what's wrong, whether it be the mod, or something that happens while installation is occurring. Someone please help.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by C.P Holmes View Post
    I'm also having a problem with installation, or rather a problem after installation, perhaps...? I had to uninstall then reinstall the TATW mod for a submod (as the submod had updated and basically needed a "clean slate"). I successfully reinstalled the mod (several times), however, each time I've tried opening the game it would crash at the very first loading screen. As I said before, I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times now, and each time the same has happened. Honestly, I don't really know what's wrong, whether it be the mod, or something that happens while installation is occurring. Someone please help.
    Welcome to TWC, C.P Holmes.

If I understand you correctly, you do manage to install TATW successfully, but you are having trouble getting a submod for TATW to work properly. If so, what submod are you trying to install?

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Thank you for the welcome... And, actually it's not the submod, but rather the mod itself. I would install the mod, (and the mod alone to test), run it, and it would crash on loading screen (just the mod though, as I'd not yet installed the submod).

Aha, in that case you posted at an appropriate place. I take it you have tried the steps Elvenkind posted in this thread. If that is the case, I have no idea what else you could do, perhaps EK has a few other ideas to help you though.

Ah, well, no actually. And that would be because I have the disc version rather than the steam version.

Ah, well, no actually. And that would be because I have the disc version rather than the steam version.
    Aha, the disk version, still use that myself too.

Perhaps this video will help you, it has instructions for TATW Steam and disk version and MOS and DaC (0.52). But more importantly, it shows the screens and the folder paths.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Well, I got both installed now (the mod and submod), I got into the game, however, whenever I try starting a campaign, the game crashes immediately.

Well, I got both installed now (the mod and submod), I got into the game, however, whenever I try starting a campaign, the game crashes immediately.
    Have you edited Security for your main M2TW folder before installing TATW+submods? If you haven`t, reinstall using these steps:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13675060
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

I've already edited the security, in fact, before I'd edited it the mod (and submod, when I downloaded it) worked perfectly fine... Also, for some reason, I don't actually have a Virtual Store. Or, at least when I followed the steps to find it, and couldn't.

I've gotten both the mod and submod to work, as I was finally able to find the virtual store, thank you ElvenKind and Veteraan for both your help, it's much appreciated.