Thread: Writing a Historical Novel (Need good sources!)

Icon3 Writing a Historical Novel (Need good sources!)

Hello,

I started writing a historical novel set in Medieval Europe (France & England) in the 12th Century (1140s to be exact), and it follows the antics of a young knight and his retinue. I have had a fairly good start so far (being a general history-buff throughout my life), but I know my knowledge of Medieval times is still relatively hazy at best; therefore, I'm looking for some good reading material that can teach me about the multiple aspects of Medieval life; including:
    - Life of a commoner
    - Life of a knight
    - Life of a noble.
    - Detailed understanding of Medieval economy.
    - Medieval architecture based on the classes, but with emphasis on castles, of course.
    - Typical era-dialogue.
    - Etc.

Some books I've considered acquiring:
    Books by Frances & Joseph Gies.
    Their "Life in Medieval" series:
    - Life in a Medieval Castle
    - Life in a Medieval Village
    - Life in a Medieval City

Alternatively:
    Books by renowned French historian Georges Duby.
    - Revelations of the Medieval World (A History of Private Life #2), apparently out of a 5-book series.

Even reading Bernard Cornwell's "Holy Grail" series, althought set two centuries later, he is a renowned historical writer.

Are there any recommendations, before I go out and spend money on some of the aforementioned material?

I want to be fairly accurate in my writing, and not write a simplistic, ignorant modern depiction of the era.

Thank you in advance!

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Writing a Historical Novel (Need good sources!)

Quote Originally Posted by Pr1Nce Ob3RyN View Post
    - Life of a commoner
    - Life of a knight
    - Life of a noble.
    - Detailed understanding of Medieval economy.
    - Medieval architecture based on the classes, but with emphasis on castles, of course.
    - Typical era-dialogue.
    - Etc.
    You have very general questions, so I'll just throw something at the wall in the hopes that something sticks.

If you're looking for primary sources, then you can gallantly skip the perspective of a peasant, as we don't have unfiltered sources. I mean, we have minor scribbles. For example contemporary love letters in the form of runes written on bark or insults on graffiti. They don't provide a full perspective of events. However, reading some of the texts that I list below may give some indication of the perspective of those who could afford books, about the behavior of lower class' that they tried to distance themselves from. It gives you a distorted view, but a view through the eyes of the privileged none the less.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Knight's tale
    A knight? Maybe worth reading Jean the Joinville's personal story. Lots of interesting, witty, and at times humorous events that followed him in the middle of the 13th century. See my signature for an example.

Education of a Prince
    If you're going higher ups, then the King's Mirror could be worth reading. It's an educational 13th century book for a prince. Do keep in mind that it's normative, not descriptive. This means it talks about how one ought to behave. A´dialog´between father and son. The son asks, the father give lengthy advice on subjects which attain to courtly behavior, training, military tactics, and so forth. For example some of the things emphasized is the importance of `the portrayal of nobility, because the worst thing that could happen is for rumors to spread across the courts of Europe. The shame of it!´
    Do keep in mind that it includes some mentions of the supernatural as well.

The Art of Etiquette
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus and Giovanni Della Casa wrote on etiquette and gives a glimps into their world. Galateo, lead you into the life of what was expected around dinner parties and in the general public. They may be a bit later, but it's still valuable perspective into how they try to distance themselves from `disgusting rabble who yawn in public like a buffoon´. Can you imagine such ghastly behavior?

Magic? Yes.
    One thing I would suggest you to not shy away from, if it fits the context, is to look into the contemporary metaphysical aspect of magic. How it relate to people trying to harness or manipulate the natural world. Particularly so by the ecclesiastical class, we often read how they ascribe either evil people, assisted by witchcraft, or God intervening and deciding who shall win a conflict. Here is a man of the cloth, talking about a conflict in Bruges. You can read how our man of the cloth always points to God. As if the result was decided, not by chance, but by actual divine "magical" intervention. To our man of the cloth, this is as part of the real world.
    Here (Chapter 6) is another account by an English monk, talking about a civil war in Scandinavia. He talks about the usurpation of the throne from King Magnus by a "priest king". How the priest-king was assisted by a witch, and allowed him to win the civil war. This magic-theme continue throughout the English monk's book. In the end of the quote, in the spoiler below, he describe this battle. This was no running joke, our priest-king was actually excommunicated in real life until he died. The subject of magic, as a real thing, to both explain and harness the natural world is worth considering.
    But when the same Magnus, who now arrived at man's estate, had reigned for several years with equal energy and success, and all supposed that they had made sufficient provision against the storms of usurpation, the malice of the devil stirred up the priest aforesaid, as his proper engine, to disquiet the peace of this Christian people.
    [...]
    Sverre (priest) then had recourse to witchcraft. He had in his retinue a certain daughter of the devil, powerful in witchcraft, and deservedly to be compared to her of former times, of whom the noble poet observes, that

The witch pretends that by her potent verse
    Some souls are freed, while others feel the curse,
    Just as she pleases; that her art has force
    To stop the stars or rivers in their course --
    To conjure nightly phantoms; when she wills,
    Earth roars beneath, and trees descend the hills.
    [Virgil, Aeneid, 4:487ff]

At length this witch (as it is reported), with astonishing confidence in her destructive art, asked of her protecting usurper in what manner he would wish the enemies, which were before him, should perish. On his making choice that she should drown them, immediately, by the operation of the devil (who, indeed, by the power of his angelic nature has most influence over earthly elements when permitted by a superior power), the calm sea opened her mouth, and, in the sight of the enemy, swallowed up the greater portion of the royal fleet. On seeing this, the abandoned priest said, "Behold, my companions, how effectually the elements fight for us; be careful lest, perchance, those escape whose certain destruction the sea has left for your valor, that she may not seem to have done all." Wherefore the residue of the royal army, confounded at the sudden destruction of their associates, was easily overpowered, and the king himself killed.
    On his death the affrighted kingdom submitted to tyrannical usurpation.

Some other sites that host a series of primary sources that could be related to your project.
    For example, the last link, features a couple of interesting stories or interviews. One such interview is, what we would today call, a police report of a medieval transvestite who whore herself through half of England, mostly with the priestly class.
    deremilitari.org/
    sourcebooks.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook.asp

I think you need to narrow the questions on "economy" and "architecture" down a notch. To what purpose is this information needed? Is it the administration of the logistical aspect of war? How does it relate to your story?

Hey, good luck with our venture. It sounds interesting.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Writing a Historical Novel (Need good sources!)

Honestly?

I would advise you against reading all that material and history inspired literature if you do not personally desire to, it will only result in your own work becoming more similar to the ones written before it and continuing the ever-generic streak of fantasy sameness.

My advice is to simply keep to this thread and just ask specific questions here whenever you come across one.

This way, you will get multiple answers and views on whatever inquiry you make.