Thread: How to play the Jutes

Default How to play the Jutes

I almost lost 4 campaigns playing as the Jutes without even managing to get past turn 10 lol. Anyways here is what I do, my first step is invading the Danes with both my navy and army. I end up beating them losing around 50% of my forces. The next step usually revolves around developing my capital and the newly occupied city, but as soon as try to develop some heads end up invading me from the south. What should I do? Migrate? wait and develop? or is there any other option?

Default Re: How to play the Jutes

Make friends, as many as u can -trade, NAP, alliances etc. with both germanic and viking factions. Then research (leave civic researches for later) hirdmen and other useful viking units - namely huscarls and later on nordic horse lords, sometimes also slingers. Until you get hirdmen recruit only spearmen (levy and nordic spears). Your priority should be invading Britannia and establishing your powerhouse there. You don't need to migrate to do that. Angles are usually the first to attack you from the south but with the army composition i mentioned its easy to defeat them (spearmen (only if they attack u in the beginning of the game, later on replace them with huscarls, hirdmen and more cav), hirdmen, nordic horse raiders (later nordic horse lords), huscarls and slingers).

Celts in britannia are easy to defeat, cuz their cav is very weak and so is their infantry compared to yours. Later in the game use armies composed of only (royal) huscarls and nordic horse lords (around 50%/50% of both).

EDIT: as for navies if u will ever need it build only ramming ships (Assault Liburnian - Nordic Light Boatmen)
    Last edited by Fanest; August 20, 2016 at 03:05 PM.
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

Alrighty! Thanks, I'll try your suggestion in the next campaign. Btw would you consider invading Hispania instead of Britain a plausible option?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucem Mundum View Post
    Alrighty! Thanks, I'll try your suggestion in the next campaign. Btw would you consider invading Hispania instead of Britain a plausible option?
    If i were to settle in Hispania then i would probably migrate there because it would be very hard to defend home provinces at the same time - the distance is too big. Migrating is a very costly thing and ur very vulnerable when u do it. What i would prb do is invade Britain first and then invade Hispania - when WRE is already significantly weakened.
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

After three tries I decided to pack up and move to Britain. I build up a fleet and 1 1/2 army stacks, saved a little coin, sent the fleet and the army full army stack to standby in England. Went horde and conquered Londonium (to be my capital) ,brought the half stack army down, conquered a port with the fleet on the same turn, then completed the province on the next.

Took awhile to finish the conquest of the British Isles then went into Gaul. Later the Geats resettled my original region and wiped out the Danes so that I became military allies with them and completed that part of the winning campaign victory requirement.

Piece of cake really.
    "The trouble with facts is that there are so many of them." - Samuel McChord Crothers

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

The whole Scandinavian area is really messed up on harder difficulties early game, partially due to movement points getting to Zeeland, partially due to more all of the nearby powers being difficult to ally with at once or finish off, that and the complete inability to fully win battles and take settlements in the first couple of turns 9/10. Chances are you'll have to fight at least one Nordic and one Germanic at the same time- which is harder than it sounds.
    Last edited by Lugotorix; September 09, 2016 at 09:37 AM.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee