Thread: weird trade route

Default weird trade route

Seams like this trade route ought to end at Belegant's port, no?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails weird trade route.jpg  

Default Re: weird trade route

I could be imagining it, but does it continue upward a little bit, along the coast? I wonder if it does eventually connect to Belgant's port...

Either that, or maybe it's representing an actually nonexistent trade route to Narag-zigil (since there's no port or even fishing village there). It is right on the border, though.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

webba84's Avatar Artifex

If you look closely, you can see the border turns north 1 tile before the coast, so this trade route is indeed going to Narag-zigil. I think this is the side effect of trying to create a settlement on the coast that 'doesn't' have a port.

It's not possible to have a coastal settlement without a port but it seems if you make sure that the port is inaccessible from the settlement, and give it an empty strat map model, you get a result something like this. One of Aradan's many, many clever designs.

Actually, I was wondering whether it might be a good idea to give Narag-zigil a fishing village - to "reward" human factions who conquer the place with a development option, if nothing else. Any opinions?

webba84's Avatar Artifex

I like the idea generally but there are a couple of obstacles to doing it:

1. We'd want to have it show up only after the settlement was converted to mannish, and I don't think there is any good way to do that. Also, I suspect that the way it is 'hidden' now is to have a culture specific (Dwarven) fishing village model (empty), so if we changed it then other Dwarven coastal settlements would also suddenly have visible fishing villages as well.

2. It would have to be either inaccessible or have a road going to it at all times, it's not possible to have the road appear after the 'port' is upgraded.

3. It would be functionally identically to now, unless it was possible to upgrade it to a port.

On reflection, I think we could look at the idea of converted Dwarven coastal regions being able to construct a port. I'd have to do some experimenting, but as you say it might be a nice feature to reward mannish factions that successfully conquer such provinces.

I have often wondered why the coasts of the Dorwinion and Southern Borderlands north and south of Narag-Zigil where not simply extended to cut off the Ered Rhun from the sea. Too ugly?

webba84's Avatar Artifex

AI pathfinding, probably (don't want them seeing those two provinces as sharing a border).