Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In only 7 years, Anders Breivik will have completed his minimum required punishment

Default Re: In only 7 years, Anders Breivik will have completed his minimum required punishment

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    Okey the only thing that really grinds my gear...... Who the is willing enough to sleep with him?
    Famous criminals always end up with fanatical followings. Somehow. They're like their own brand of celebrity.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Default Re: In only 7 years, Anders Breivik will have completed his minimum required punishment

I doubt he'll be out anytime soon, but I fail to see the point of the OP. What would you rather? They'd have created a life sentence just for effect? They can, in practice, keep him away for life - whether it's a possible sentence or not would just be for show. I hardly think the death penalty is fitting: "You've murdered scores of people, and to make known the fact that that's wrong, we're going to kill you."
    When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?

- John Ball (1381)

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Of course, but Breivik is in danger because he killed 6 dozen people and then some. Let him hear the music once this doesn't threaten the fabric of law and society. The state did well to not change the laws because of a wacko. But unless there are laws in place (that should be respected) that say the state should protect everyone from danger, he shouldn't be protected.
    Most Western countries have such laws. So Breivik will receive life-time protection, just like Hormolka does here in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    would they really have to redefine their entire justice system for terrorists? they would only have to change certain things with the most violent offenders, the rest of the system would be largely left intact
    Norwegian criminals are about four times less likely to re-offend than Americans criminals. Why should Norway make its justice system more American? The stats say the opposite should happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    Norwegian criminals are about four times less likely to re-offend than Americans criminals. Why should Norway make its justice system more American? The stats say the opposite should happen.
    Because Norway is missing out on a glorious money making opportunity.
    “My grandad always said, "You should never judge a book by its cover." And it's for that reason that he lost his job as chair of the British Book Cover Awards panel.”
    Stewart Lee

Punish a man for years, and he'll forget his lesson before long; rehabilitate him, and miss out on a wonderful business opportunity.

- John Ball (1381)

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Most Western countries have such laws. So Breivik will receive life-time protection, just like Hormolka does here in Canada.
    In the most european countries he will never come out of prison, because you can detain people longer than the maximum sentence if they are still a threat and expected to kill again. I don't think anyone will prognose Breivik as harmless.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    In the most european countries he will never come out of prison, because you can detain people longer than the maximum sentence if they are still a threat and expected to kill again. I don't think anyone will prognose Breivik as harmless.
    I guess the government could recruit him for some kind of real life adaptation of Suicide Squad...

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    I guess the government could recruit him for some kind of real life adaptation of Suicide Squad...
    And then send him to Syria as a counter terrorist squad!Haha nice idea!
    He can get the revenge of lots of white people who killed by ISIS after all.
    Our great god AHURA MAZDA demands:
    "Good thoughts of the mind, Good deeds of the hand, and Good words of the tongue"

Pĺsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I dont see the problem here, at the end of his incarceration, there will be an comprehensive evaluation, if he's considered still a danger to society he'll be held back, if he's considered rehabilitated then he's served his sentence and is released. That's how the system works. He might be a disgusting nazi killer, but he's neither beyond nor bellow the common law. I'd take that over a system where people get out worse than they get in.

Because Norway is missing out on a glorious money making opportunity
    Putting large amount of people away for the majority of their productive lives and robbing them of the opportunity to be productive once they get released encouraging more crime and more time in the cell. Some money making opportunity that would have been...

Quote Originally Posted by Pĺsan View Post
    Putting large amount of people away for the majority of their productive lives and robbing them of the opportunity to be productive once they get released encouraging more crime and more time in the cell. Some money making opportunity that would have been...
    I should have made the sarcasm more obvious.
    “My grandad always said, "You should never judge a book by its cover." And it's for that reason that he lost his job as chair of the British Book Cover Awards panel.”
    Stewart Lee

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Anders Behring Breivik, Norway murderer, wins human rights case

A Different Justice: Why Anders Breivik Only Got 21 Years for Killing 77 People

Anders Breivik: Mass murderer 'to be allowed visits by his girlfriend' after human rights court win

A mass murderer responsible for killing 77 people in Norway just won part of a human-rights case against the government

Mass murderer Anders Breivik WINS lawsuit claiming his human rights were violated in prison because he was 'fed the same food two days in a row' and given a whole cellblock to himself

alrighty, gentlemen, ladies, and transgenders of the Mudpit

we are here today to come to terms with the idea that the next terrorist who ends up being captured alive, especially in Europe and rehabilitation-friendly Scandinavia, might get away with a minimum imprisonment length of a couple of years to a decade, they might be living way better and eating better than the bottom 20%, they might be getting loads of sex in prison, they might win human rights cases, they could become iconic rolemodels for future terrorists such as AfD supporter David Somboly whom went on a shooting spree in Munich, they could even write and sell their books and propaganda from prison

how do you feel about these revelations? does it make you reconsider the exalted European criminal justice system?
    This is outrageous. What the . He should not be using human rights when he didn't respect the human rights of 77 people. And the fact he has a girlfriend who can now visit him - this is just sick. That this is happening shows something is clearly broken with the justice system. This should not be possible. I'd like to see him hanged, just like Saddam Hussein and many other war criminals. He killed 77 people! He is a murderer. There is no possible defence to that. He should be hung, drawn and quartered and his remains fed to the dogs. That would be a more fitting punishment.

Yet again Snuggans has no idea what he's talking about. Breivik won't see the light of day ever again, as he's condemned to "forvaring". This means he will be kept in prison until it's decided that he is no longer a danger to society.

i didn't say he was going to be released in 7 years did i? i'm just stating the facts, and ya'll are stating how you all individually HOPE that the Norwegian system doesn't let him out, which is just kinda ridiculous to be saying for a convicted mass murderer and terrorist, we shouldn't be relying on that. what if they find him fit to be released to home supervision or something like that in 14 years for example? a sociopath like that can easily put on a mask and pretend like he learned his lesson

released or not released, he still has too many freedoms and privileges in prison, and him winning a human rights case is embarrassing for Norway
    Last edited by snuggans; August 16, 2016 at 07:13 AM.

i didn't say he was going to be released in 7 years did i? i'm just stating the facts, and ya'll are stating how you all individually HOPE that the Norwegian system doesn't let him out, which is just kinda ridiculous to be saying for a convicted mass murderer and terrorist, we shouldn't be relying on that.
    We're not hoping, we're saying it's highly probable he won't.

what if they find him fit to be released to home supervision or something like that in 14 years for example? a sociopath like that can easily put on a mask and pretend like he learned his lesson
    Do you think all the psychiatric experts evaluating him would be unaware of this?

released or not released, he still has too many freedoms and privileges in prison, and him winning a human rights case is embarrassing for Norway
    Because only nice people get human rights? Why don't we just put him in Gitmo and have done with it?

- John Ball (1381)

if he hadn't won the case or received such a pathetic minimum sentencing, would the Norwegian prison system turn into Gitmo? no, that's a totally false dilemma

you did read what he was complaining about in regards to 'human rights'? very petty stuff, he was essentially making fun of you all and he won

but all i'm seeing in this thread is European exceptionalism a la: "*TRIGGERED* we don't have to change anything of our system, you have to change your system!", don't get me wrong, i'm pro-rehabilitation and i've made many posts in these forums about how to reform the prison industry and how it could also help alleviate racial tensions, but i'm just pointing out how Breivik is taking Norway for a ride

Miles

Are you kidding me this mass murdering terrorist only gets a 21 year maximum prison sentence.He should have gotten the death penalty although capital punishment has been banned in Norway since 1979 at least he could have gotten a life sentence but no instead he got a prison sentence with a of around 10 to 21 years,now doesen't that sound he got off easy for killing 77 people.

if he hadn't won the case or received such a pathetic minimum sentencing, would the Norwegian prison system turn into Gitmo? no, that's a totally false dilemma

you did read what he was complaining about in regards to 'human rights'? very petty stuff, he was essentially making fun of you all and he won

but all i'm seeing in this thread is European exceptionalism a la: "*TRIGGERED* we don't have to change anything of our system, you have to change your system!", don't get me wrong, i'm pro-rehabilitation and i've made many posts in these forums about how to reform the prison industry and how it could also help alleviate racial tensions, but i'm just pointing out how Breivik is taking Norway for a ride
    Trust me they aren't stupid enough to release freaking Breivik after a few years in jail, and if they did he'd get murdered within days. Fact of the matter is that the Norwegian system works and it works well: We have one of the lowest repeat-offender (and crime) rate in the world.

PS: The prison term was minimum 21 years, not minimum 11 years. So theoretically he can only get released 17 years, not 7..
    Last edited by Nikitn; August 16, 2016 at 08:55 AM.

He's not getting out for a while, even though the technical sentence will expire, in practice it isn't going to happen unless he's genuinely been reformed, which is doubtful. I don't see what you want from Norway. To give a longer sentence for show? In practice the same thing is accomplished, it'd just be a token gesture.

Indeed, the Court does make some silly decisions now and then.

European exceptionalism is not a thing. Maybe Social Democratic exceptionalism, but it's not exceptionalism as Europeans are always making the point that it can be applied to most nations to a greater or lesser extent. That's the opposite of exceptionalism. I simply fail to see what you want to change, or what could be changed to any practical benefit.

- John Ball (1381)

Well he has a point, insofar as prisons and prison sentences in Europe (except for the former Communist states I guess) don't seem to be sufficient deterrents. We have a huge problem with career criminals here, usually from Lebanese or other MENA, Sunni Muslim tribes (but also a few indigenous ones, and gypsies of course). So yeah, comparatively short sentences, comfy prisons, and re-socialization might work wonders on some people, but with others, they produce the opposite of the desired effect.

Plus, you have to consider that the main reason for the existence of a justice system in the first place is to protect society from harm. Reforming offenders is a nice idea but it can never take priority over the former. Now if you sentence mass murderers, rapists and other horrible people to a few years in a comfy prison and maybe "safekeeping" afterwards, it's not gonna sit well with the public. Eventually, they'll lose trust in the system and if that happens on a large enough scale, everything goes down the toilet. Then we'll have tribalism and warlords again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast