Thread: At Any Cost - A Skyrim AAR

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Default At Any Cost - A Skyrim AAR

Axis rambling and making excuses for starting another AAR
    About the story:
    Well what do you know? Axis randomly jumping to work on another project while he's in the middle of a different one! In other news, the sky remains blue and grass is still green. Ah, but this time it's not my fault you see, because normally when something like this happens it's because I have the attention span of a five year old and get bored of my other project, but this time it is because the universe doesn't want me to write Medieval II AARs, because my disk literally broke inside my computer's disk drive. Like, it wouldn't run, so I opened up the drive, and there was a substantial crack in the disk. Now I won't be getting it on disk again because that was already disk #2 (the first time it broke was totally my fault of course) so now I'm waiting for a Steam sale! Maybe it's a blessing in disguise, since I basically can't abandon this this AAR as long as I have no Medieval II to revert to.

While I wait I've decided to try my hand at a Skyrim AAR. I know there's a couple other very good Skyrim AAR's going right now (Caillagh's long-running and magnificent tale of a man who has gotten himself rather thoroughly lost: A Long Way From Home and SilentKiller's more recent Stories From the North, which, it may surprise you to know, is a collection of stories... from the north) but I am hopeful that I can bring a different enough style to the narrative that it will be fresh and enjoyable.

As far as the style of writing, those of you who are familiar with my old Denmark AAR will recall a rather dry sarcastic semi-comedic style, which was easy for me to write since it's pretty much just the way I think. This time I'll try to keep the tone more appropriate to a fantasy epic, but every now and then, especially since I'll be writing from the first person for most of the story, that tone might slip through, which hopefully won't be too much of a problem. Obviously humor can be very successful in this type of story, as Caillagh incorporates some very entertaining humor in his story (in case you can't tell I really like Caillagh's AAR), but if at any point it gets out of hand, I would appreciate it if you, dear reader, would mention it.

This will, above all, be the tale of the most unlikely of heroes for Skyrim. I know, I know, the "unwilling, unlikely hero" plot is done largely to death, but I hope/believe that this particular variation, and the reason he is such unlikely hero will be different enough.

The first couple updates will be entirely text-based as they occur outside of events in Skyrim, as I begin detailing actual events of the game play I may add some choice screenshots, or maybe not, who can truly know the mind of a madman?

About the game:
    Pretty much vanilla Skyrim... I've added a couple of mods to make everything prettier, as well as a couple that just add some people and places so the world is more populated, but nothing really major that changes game play I don't think, because when I built my computer I seem to have built the most unstable rig in existence, and if I try to do too much with the Nexus or anything like that, everything just dies and I have to reinstall Skyrim, so I've decided to keep it limited in the hope that the world doesn't end this time.

Now that I've written an entire novel to introduce this AAR, here's a little prologue-type thing:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Prologue-4E 20:

His wind almost completely spent, a young elf hurled himself behind a carelessly stacked array of empty crates that indicated a recent shipment of fruits and vegetables to the inn. He drew rapid, shallow breaths in ragged little gasps of air that tore at his throat going in and coming out. His heart threatened to bruise the inside of his ribs with its aggressive beating, and for a few moments he could only lay motionless where he had landed while his body tried to restore its various functions to normal. If someone were to ask him he would have sworn on the eight that he had lain there for an hour, but an observer walking by at the the time would not even count a minute’s passage before he stirred from the tangle of bony arms and legs he had fallen into. At that point, no doubt, this concerned passerby would be assured that the child was indeed alive, and unless they held some vested interest in the crates he had taken refuge among and took mind to scold him for his choice of napping places, would likely move on, even if they remained somewhat curious about his activities.

This observer would thus not notice that the elf’s next action was to furtively raise his head over the top of the crates in search of his pursuers. In a flash, heart rate spiking once more he tumbled from his precarious perch as he immediately found himself staring straight into a wide, empty, black eye. However the next moment would reveal this to be set in the face of a seagull, which was at least as offended by Torinaan’s presence as he was by it. An indignant croaking noise accompanied a flurry of feathers as it abandoned its chosen resting place in search of one without any unwelcome guests. After allowing his heart to return to its normal rate once more he rose again, even more carefully than the first time until, at an impossibly slow rate, he had raised his head over the top of the crates once more, this time not encountering any surprise wildlife. He cast his glance across every bit of the narrow street he could lay eyes on, until he was able to reassure himself that he was, for the time being, safe.

Torinaan released a breath that he didn’t know he had been holding, and as air exploded from his lungs he sank down once again behind the boxes, sitting as comfortably he possibly could, although no matter where he rested his back he seemed to find the corner of a crate driven painfully into some muscle. He sat for some time, reasoning that even if he couldn’t do anything about the filth that already coated the clothing he wore, he could at least return home suitably composed in all other ways, with both his breathing and his thoughts calmed from their current racing state. Of course, this wouldn’t help very much, because unless by some miracle his father wasn’t home, he would guess exactly what had happened the second he laid eyes Torinaan.

At the thought of facing his father, a feeling of panic rose up, settling somewhere in Torinaan’s chest, and his cheeks flushed with embarrassment. He knew his father was disappointed that he constantly allowed the band of young human boys get the better of him, but he just couldn’t help it. There were so many of them, and though Torinaan stood taller than every one of them by at least a couple inches, the slight advantage in reach wasn’t even close to compensating for the lankiness of his frame. By contrast all of the boys, especially the nords in the group that tended to take the lead roles when it came to confrontations, seemed built to be fighters. They were built about as solidly as it was possible for fifteen year old boys to be built, and knew exactly how to use every bit of that muscle mass to deliver a blow. Of course none of this made any difference to his father, an extremely powerful battlemage and one of the top advisors to the emperor from the Altmer of the Summerset Isles.

“The humans are inferior to us in almost every way, Torinaan,” his voice would crack like a whip, with his almost delicate visage twisted into a mask of fury, “and yet every day you return home with yet more bruises gained by their hand.” Often Torinaan thought that it was really his father's fault that he was exposed to such an environment anyway, since without his role in the emperor's court their family would still be in the Summerset Isles, where he would be growing among his own people. He had only been fool enough to mention this once though, and it had resulted in a unprecedented lashing in response. That would have been enough, but all such discussions would inevitably turn to the only topic which Torinaan wanted to avoid even more than his bullies: his inability to use the magic that was the birthright of his people. It was a point of deep shame for the young elf, for even his young brother, only eight years past his first name day could already conjure up colorful lights and send them dancing about the ceiling, where, much to his own delight he would set them to performing various movements while he sat watching them and clapping his hands. Meanwhile, Torinaan spent all of his time studying scrolls, but no matter how much knowledge he accumulated he would be a disappointment in the eyes of his father and an outcast in the eyes of his kind.

With these thoughts leaving a bitter taste in his mouth, Torinaan finally rose and set off for his home, accompanied by a still present ghost of his panic, manifesting itself as a feeling of unease in his chest, as if his breaths weren’t drawing in quite as much air as they should. It was a familiar feeling, as it accompanied him on every journey home that he knew would have an unpleasant encounter at its end. He had not made it more than twenty feet from the crates that had been his shelter when a heavy hand landed on his shoulder. In response, Torinaan’s heart sank impossibly low, while at the same time jumping into his throat. They waited. They waited this whole time. He was spun about and thrown roughly to the ground, where he rolled painfully to his back and looked up, knowing exactly what he would see. They waited.

The worst part of these events was that the whole lot of boys who insisted on tormenting him were the very same boys that, in his youth he had enjoyed romping about with. For all of their childhoods, his pointed ears and narrow features hadn't seemed to matter a bit to them. Then, just over a year ago, everything had changed. It was subtle at first, he was either left out of their games or given the worst roles, and more and more jokes were made with him as their target. Before he knew what had happened it was just complete, unhidden prejudice that manifested itself and violent physical attacks and slurs. All of this passed through Torinaan's mind subconsciously as he prepared to face his attacker.

Staring down at the fallen elf was the broad face of Dargeir Stormcloak, the second son of the one of Skyrim’s Jarls who had been sent to the Imperial City to earn an education, although it was likely that his presence there was also serving to temper his father’s warlike tendencies-or at the very least preventing the empire from becoming the target of any united military action on the part of the nords, which would no doubt be led by Eirald Stormcloak if it were to happen. The lad was the tallest out of all the human boys and strong as an ox, although admittedly a rather young ox. The slightest suggestion of a beard was sprinkled across his face, a collection of hairs whose sum total likely did not exceed fifty, but it was something the young nord took tremendous pride in, as all of his comrades still boasted smooth cheeks and chins.

Dargeir made a great show of rubbing this growth while he gazed down at Torinaan’s prostrate form. “Well, up with ye’ then elf,” he called, “I won’t have it said that I struck a downed foe, it’s bad for me’ honor ye’ see!” He guffawed loudly, and his comrades laughed with him. Everyone there knew just as well that whether he struck while Torinaan was on his back or allowed him to stand up made no difference. For a moment, Torinaan even considered remaining down just to slight the nord and his “honor” but he quickly dismissed the thought. He would face his next bunch of bruises standing on his feet at the very least. As he rose slowly to his feet, he felt something building inside of him, some sort of adrenaline burst. He knew it to be a false promise, he had felt such a rush through many of these encounters, but had long since discovered it didn’t make him any better at fighting, just allowing him to face his next defeat with more energy.

This time however, there was something more. As he drew himself to his full height, Torinaan felt something deep inside himself that he had never felt before. Something was pulling desperately, raging inside him and struggling to break free. In front of him the world seemed to slow as a Dargeir, still grinning a broad, yellow-toothed grin drew back his fist.

Something snapped.

There was another, even greater rush inside Torinaan and this time it was accompanied by a sensation of unimaginable euphoria. Before Dargeir’s fist could land Torinaan struck the nord across the face. His expression changed from an arrogant grin to open mouthed shock for a moment before he began to scream. The blow had left a red mark on the nord’s face, and it was not a the red welt left by the impact of skin on skin. It was a violent, bubbling and blistering burned red, accompanied by the odor of burnt flesh as well as the singing of those few hairs. Torinaan looked down at his hand, somewhat in shock himself, to see flames flickering and dancing about his fingertips. Dargeir reeled away and stumbled off into the alley that he had, presumably been hiding in while he waited for Torinaan earlier.

A grin began to spread across his face as he turned his attention to the remaining members of the group. Frozen as they were by fear, they would have made easy prey, but Torinaan discovered that he really seemed to have no control over the fire. For a fleeting moment he had an illusion that it would jump from his fingers and singe the lot of them to ash, but instead it clung stubbornly to his hands. It was probably for the best, for his lack of knowledge of magic was the only thing then that kept him from killing the whole lot of them, condemning himself to prison or death. Instead, after a couple tense moments their legs began to work once more and the group quickly scattered among the streets, leaving Torinaan alone, fire still dancing both at his fingertips and in his eyes.

As he watched his former tormenters retreat he thought back to the feeling of his palm, ignited with magefire, striking the face of Dargeir,
    and he thought that he had never felt so alive

Last edited by Axis Sunsoar; August 13, 2016 at 06:37 AM.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default Re: At Any Cost - A Skyrim AAR

Iiiii LIKE it! Excellent, Axis, +rep from me.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

First of all, . Thank you for your astonishingly kind words.

Second of all, this is a great start! I'm really looking forward to more.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I agree, this is a great start. I wonder how Torinaan's relationships with his father and the band of boys will affect him - and how his discovery of a new ability will make a difference.

Uff, I feared peope wouldn't know what my Skyrim AAR was about

Wunderful start to this AAR! Like Alwyn, I wonder how his father affect Torinaan and his experienced. (Elves tend to be not the ruggiest people...)

Thank you for the kind words, all of you! It's that sort of thing that makes writing so much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish
    Iiiii LIKE it! Excellent, Axis, +rep from me.
    Thanks for reading McScottish! You were quite quick on the draw with that response, I'm glad you've enjoyed that little intro, and I hope you'll continue to enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh
    First of all, . Thank you for your astonishingly kind words.

Second of all, this is a great start! I'm really looking forward to more.
    I could never give enough praise for the work you've done on A Long Way from Home, it's one of my favorite things I've ever read, full of adventure and humor. Thank you so much for your readership, and I hope you enjoy the coming chapters

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn
    I agree, this is a great start. I wonder how Torinaan's relationships with his father and the band of boys will affect him - and how his discovery of a new ability will make a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by theSilentKiller
    Uff, I feared peope wouldn't know what my Skyrim AAR was about

Wunderful start to this AAR! Like Alwyn, I wonder how his father affect Torinaan and his experienced. (Elves tend to be not the ruggiest people...)
    Thank you both for checking in! I'm glad you both see the promise in this narrative and I look forward to bringing you future updates. I'm afraid you'll both have to wait a bit for your answers to these questions as our next update will take us far past Torinaan's days as a young elf alone in the Imperial City... I must admit that I was planning on making that intro a one-and done, but I may have to include a few chapters that reflect back to his childhood since it raised some interesting questions!

Another chapter is on the way right now, and I've been working on this chapter for quite a while and it still doesn't seem quite right to me (it seems both boring and cliché, and doesn't really portray the character of Torinaan the way I want to), but unfortunately I can't find any way to improve it any more, and after considering leaving it out for a while, I unfortunately don't see any way around including it.
    Last edited by Axis Sunsoar; August 21, 2016 at 07:30 PM.

Chapter 1 - The Summons

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Appearances are everything, I repeated in a mantra as I swept through the hallways of the White-Gold tower, quickly enough that I would not arrive late, for it would not do to keep the Lady Herself waiting. However, at the same time it was also a stride I had carefully cultivated so that I appeared unhurried and unconcerned. After all, I had an appearance to maintain for those below me. After all, as I had discovered long ago, whatever power I technically had by law, my authority only extended as far as they perceived it to, and no one with any sort of power would be hurrying about the palace answering the summons of another like some sort of pageboy. Therefore, I could not afford the appearance of someone hurrying to answer to another, despite the fact that this was a fairly accurate description of my current undertaking.

For a while I walked, just enjoying the click of my polished boots on the smooth stones that paved the hallways. Sometimes the simple things in life were the most beautiful. Each step landed with military precision in consistent rhythm, as if I was marching in step with a cohort. Of course, I was not marching in step with an army, and likely would never need to, but it lent some emphasis to my strides and contributed to the overall appearance of someone with authority. When I passed anyone less important than myself - and there were plenty, I acknowledged their presence with a barely perceptible incline of my head. It was a precisely measured movement, small enough to clearly demonstrate that they were beneath my concern, but still present so as to avoid drawing any undue resentment. Whenever I found myself approaching an equal we would each decline our head in equal measure. If I had passed anyone who’s rank surpassed me it would have required a deep, formal bow, but one would be hard pressed to find anyone superior to myself in the Imperial City, outside of the room that I was destined for, or course, and therefore no one I encountered necessitated such deference.

Eventually as I walked I allowed my thoughts to drift somewhat. As soothing as it was, the sound of hardened leather striking stone could not occupy a mind such as mine forever. And so I began to reflect on the path that had brought me back to the city where I spent my youth now, after a century. It had not been long after my dramatic first discovery of magic that we had left the Imperial City and headed home to the Summerset Isles. The causes of this departure were myriad, although I suspected that chief among them was my sudden affinity for spellcasting. Typically a young elf would learn to cast a little at a time as they slowly gained power. In the moment that my power came to me, it came in the full measure that many elves would have slowly accumulated over their first few years. In fact, I had gathered from observing some of my peers that I was substantially more powerful than an average elf, which made sense considering my father. This being the case, I suddenly found myself in possession of a wealth of power and absolutely no control. In short I was a danger. Of course, I thought with a smile, I still am a danger, but now only toward those I choose.

Shortly after their return to Summerset, disaster had struck in Tamriel. It had been called the Oblivion Crisis, and it had led to countless deaths as Oblivion gates had been ripped open and Daedra poured forth, sweeping across most of the world before their invasion finally met an end at the Crystal Tower. My father was one of the key defenders of the tower along with Rynandor. I winced as I thought of Rynandor, but I knew now that everything had been necessary. He was an idealistic fool who would have dragged down the Thalmor before we could even take power. It was a shame though, that on of one of the greatest mages the Summerset Isles had ever seen would meet such an ignoble fate, both the assassination on the boat and the absolute butchery of his reputation that had preceded it. It was made all the more tragic because the Thalmor had been fully willing to give him credit as the leader of the tower’s defense as long as he also claimed association with us. But the past was the past, and even though the common populace still revered him as a hero, the Thalmor had moved on perfectly successfully without him, and would continue to do so as long as they remained unaware of his fate. In contrast to Rynandor, my father instantly saw the benefits of allowing the Thalmor to take credit as the heroes of the crisis. Within a month of the tower’s fall and the invasions end almost the entire populace of the isles was convinced that the Thalmor and our magic had saved the island. Soon after, in the midst of the turmoil that followed in the empire, the Thalmor were able to take control of the Altmer government and rule the island.

Throughout this period my father still considered me too young and probably too volatile to be involved in anything, and I stayed home, largely untouched even by the Oblivion Crisis. The world remained largely quiet for many years as the scars left by the Daedric invasion were healed, and without anyone else noticing, the Thalmor extended their influence into Valenwood where a quick coup left a pro-Altmer government in charge, and reached out to war-ravaged Elseweyr, which would become a client state, and with that the Third Aldmeri Dominion was born. On my fiftieth name day I was allowed to accept the first of many missions as an agent of the Thalmor, a mission which would eventually conclude with the demise of several key members of the Imperial Mede family, which had still not been connected to each other, or the Dominion. It has become well-known and accepted among the Thalmor by now that any endeavor in which Torinaan Newspell has a leading role is more likely than not to be a success.

After the conclusion of the Great War, I spent several years back in Alinor, where I studied with the mages of the Crystal Tower, increasing my skills in the arcane arts. It was during that period when orders arrived that I was to travel to the Imperial City, where I thought I would be rejoining my father once again. He had been a key party in the signing of the White-Gold Concordat, and had remained in the city to once again assume the mantle of advisor to the Emperor, although with a definite shift in the balance of power between the two, for the imperial colony of the Summerset Isles was no more, having been replaced by the vastly superior Aldmeri Dominion. Needless to say, my father’s suggestions were given far more weight than they had in the past. To my surprise I discovered when I arrived that I was in fact being summoned to replace my father, who had been called upon to lead the Thalmor to Skyrim, an Imperial colony that was apparently less than pleased by the terms of the Concordat. I spent a few days with my father before he was to leave, an experience which had become decidedly more pleasant since I had begun to grow into my power, and was practically enjoyable now that I had risen far enough in the ranks of the Thalmor to meet his expectations.

However, something went horribly wrong and my father vanished on the eve of the embassy’s departure to Skyrim. The word that was spread about was that he had fled for one reason or another, but I very much doubted that. He was not the type to abandon the Thalmor, since his ideals and theirs aligned so well. I knew it was far more likely that he had been murdered, but I also knew that whoever was responsible had likely done their job too well to leave evidence, and besides, it was not my responsibility to discover the truth of my father’s disappearance unless it would help the Dominion, and I could see no possible benefit. And so the Thalmor embassy to Skyrim left with a powerful justiciar named Elenewen hastily promoted to first emissary, and I remained behind to fulfill an advisory role to Emperor Titus Mede II. That had been the case, at least, until I received a very unexpected summons to expansive rooms near the top of the White-Gold tower that served as the Thalmor headquarters in Imperial City, where, the letter alleged, I would be meeting with The Lady herself.

And now the path of my thoughts and the path of my feet had joined back together, as I stood facing the great wooden doors that hid the next chapter of my life. I drew a two deep breaths and carefully examined the fine robes I wore to ensure that there was nothing detectably wrong. For the first time since twelve boys had surrounded a young elf in an alley of this very city almost two hundred years ago, I was nervous. I drew one more deep breath as I reached within myself for the soothing euphoria that I knew I would find by touching the arcane within myself. I drew myself up to my full height, squared my shoulders and reached for the door. Of course I was nervous, I would be a fool not to be, and I fool I was not. I was fairly certain that I had successfully cultivated the appearance of calm, and that would be good enough for a first impression.

After all, appearances are everything

Great chapter! I especially like the parargaph about the Oblivion Crisis and Rynandor, especially the latter is a very interesting matter (Obilvion Crisis too, but "I" experienced it "first hand" ) and I like how you capture the Thalmor way of thinking about him. I wonder what the next chapter of Torinaan's life will hold for him.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I agree! I hope that you will continue this story.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

That's a beautifully-written chapter, Axis.

(I hope it's OK to abbreviate your name - please say if not.)

I'm really, really intrigued to see where this goes, and whether you can manage to make a Thalmor agent sympathetic. And, of course, whether you want to make Torinaan a sympathetic character. That last, elegant line suggests perhaps not - at least not entirely...

Great Chapter Axis Sunsoar! I really like your writing, and agree with TSK in that I enjoyed your references to the Oblivion Crisis! Keep up the good work!