Thread: Barbed Wire?

Default Barbed Wire?

Is it possible to change the Chevaux de Frise model to Barbed Wire fences? I know it may not be the most historically accurate to just have wire affect cavalry and not deploy with trenches, but I feel it would fit the 20th century more than Napoleonic field fortifications.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Default Re: Barbed Wire?

I actually did this a while ago but it hasnt been added for a couple reasons, the main issue is infantry just hops over them like a fence which basically defeats the purpose of them in the first place but also because the AI has a hard time placing them in any useful way.

B, does it have to stop infantry? Don't get me wrong, that's what barbed wire is used for, but it could always just be an aesthetic rather than a total function.
    Rawr rawr rawr rawr.

I have no idea how feasible this is, but wouldn't replacing the vanilla game's mines with smaller, re-skinned explosions to represent the deaths caused by barbed wire?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Poetic Pariah View Post
    B, does it have to stop infantry? Don't get me wrong, that's what barbed wire is used for, but it could always just be an aesthetic rather than a total function.
    Well theres also the issue that they have to chose between laying trenches or barbed wire so instead of having a semi trench system we end up with a but of rather ineffective barbed wired that AI would probly walk past before you got a chance to get to it.

It is a really cool aesthetic but sadly implementing it would take time and effort away from the key things we're working on atm; which are pretty huge

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    I have no idea how feasible this is, but wouldn't replacing the vanilla game's mines with smaller, re-skinned explosions to represent the deaths caused by barbed wire?
    Interesting idea, im not really qualified to speak on its feasibility tho.

Since this topic is very interesting to me, how about this: you use regular infantrymen with the "cavalry" cathegory of units in the database tables. You replace the cavalrymen animations with regular foot anims in the appropriate fragment. Then, you create a new horse, midelled as a simple box, and place it in a less invasive position like behind the soldier or slightly ahead. Then you guve this new horse an invisible texture. Changing the walking speed is the same as regular units so no problem there. This would also mean that you'll have specialized infantrymen protecting the artillery on the field and able to perform flanking moves - because they will use formations normally employed by standard cav.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Sirlion View Post
    Since this topic is very interesting to me, how about this: you use regular infantrymen with the "cavalry" cathegory of units in the database tables. You replace the cavalrymen animations with regular foot anims in the appropriate fragment. Then, you create a new horse, midelled as a simple box, and place it in a less invasive position like behind the soldier or slightly ahead. Then you guve this new horse an invisible texture. Changing the walking speed is the same as regular units so no problem there. This would also mean that you'll have specialized infantrymen protecting the artillery on the field and able to perform flanking moves - because they will use formations normally employed by standard cav.
    Thats an interesting idea but it could cause so many unforeseen issues in the rest of the game that we might be chasing glitches forever. As it is we are trying to fix tanks and other issues instead of possibly creating more issues with things that are already complete.

However, by all means give it a try, like as a sub mod or something. I could send you the basic barbed wired testing files (though ill have to track them down, so many mod files lol).

That sounds like a lot of work for something that wasn't as deadly as it'll be in the game.
    Rawr rawr rawr rawr.