Thread: Changing General's Bodyguard Unit

Default Changing General's Bodyguard Unit

Hey guys,

So, I have really been having a difficult time changing the High Elf's body guard units. I enjoy Elron's spearmen, and thoroughly do not enjoy having mounts for a bodyguard. With that being said, I've attempted to make the proper modifications to make this change. However, I can't get it to work to save my life. I'm a 100% novice at making any "modifications" to a game, but I have followed several guides to ensure I was doing it properly. For instance, I followed the directions listed in the link below. However, the changes simply don't register. The text files represent the proper changes, yet nothing is modified. To test this, I changed Elron's age to 20, from 50. Yet, even that didn't change. I'm also using steam, if that makes a difference? I modified the proper files in the location I had installed the The Third Age mod. If anyone has any insight at all, I would greatly appreciate it. I can also provide more specifics if needed, I'm just unsure of what information may be needed in order to help aid me with this annoyance.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...al-s-Bodyguard

Sincerely,

Bro Tank

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Changing General's Bodyguard Unit

Hello BT, welcome to TWC
    However, the changes simply don't register
    Hmm, this sounds like either you do not have administrative rights currently so the files are at "Read Only" (thus need to Edit Security), and/or it's a Virtual Store matter.
    Check this thread for info on both those matters: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...h-pictures-!-)

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Hello!

First off, thank you for the reply! I looked into your advice, but I haven't had any luck. I went through and changed the permission if/where it was applicable. This didn't seem to work for me. Next, I checked the Virtual Storage path, but there wasn't a Medieval Total War 2 folder there to delete. I'm puzzled as to why nothing will change... Do you have any other ideas? If needed, I can screenshot my changes in the text files to show you what I've done. But, I followed the guidance of various guides I was able to find. Thank you for much for your help!

Bro Tank

OK, hmm, concerning this
    To test this, I changed Elron's age to 20, from 50.
    When you open descr_strat afterwards/now, is Elrond's age there still 50 or has it rewerted back to 20?
    Also, you did check in a new campaign? Not all changes applies to saved games.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    OK, hmm, concerning this
    When you open descr_strat afterwards/now, is Elrond's age there still 50 or has it rewerted back to 20?
    Also, you did check in a new campaign? Not all changes applies to saved games.
    Hello!

It was at 20, but I just noticed it had reverted to 50 today. I'm unsure if this was due to some of the changes I have made. And yes, I always test with a brand new campaign, as I was told it isn't save compatible. I've attached some of the edits I've made. I've played around with them quite heavily, so I hope these are the proper changes. Let me know if you see anything incorrect!

Bro Tank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LOTR 3.png   LOTR 2.png   LOTR 1.png  

The type-name in export_description_units.txt [EDU] differs from the unit's name in descr_strat: there's a "_" more in the EDU.

I'm most surprise the campaign do not crash at start from that to be honest.

Thank you again for helping me! Here is a mass post of the 3 text files. What's wrong? I can't seem to get it to work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lotr 4.png  

The type-name from the EDU and the name in descr_strat must match, now the former has "_":s but the latter do not

Do you have Skype or Discord? I'm a little confused still

Afraid not, not at home ATM.

It should say Elf_Spear_BG in descr_strat.txt [DS] just as it says Elf_Spear_BG in the EDU, not only Elf Spear BG as you have in the screen shots of the DS.

Thing is however, that if you misspelled the unit name in DS and thus assigned the generals a unit that technically do not exist, the campaign should not start with the old general unit instead (because you replaced them), but it should either go back to the menu or crash completly.
    Ergo, I do think there's some case of Virtual Store matter here in play. Since you are using Steam, do Steam has a Virtual Store folder and there're M2-folders hidden within that?

I made the change so that they all reflect Elf_Spear_BG.... Other than that, do you see anything wrong? I checked the VirtualStore folder, and there is nothing there. I even checked to display all hidden folders... But, I can also tell that it isn't using the text files I modified.... I'm adjusting everything under the folder I have renamed for steam, being the "crusades" folder. Yet, Elrond is still displaying as 50 years old. In my text, he is set to 20 still.

Nope, don't see anything wrong.
    But what you describe (a difference between saved edits to the files and what's actually seen ingame) should not be possible, with less than that the compuer/engine actually read files from somewhere else than the folder the game is installed in, since you edited the files from the install folder. Ergo some kind of Virtual Store or equal effect.

What Windows do you have?
    I'll ask ElvenKind drop by and we'll see if he has any idea what's up.

Do you think I would be best off deleting the mod, and attempting a fresh start?

Also, it is Windows 7
    Last edited by Veteraan; August 13, 2016 at 03:33 PM.

Since your edits do not apply, it should not be needed; the big questionmark at this point is why your edits do not apply

But as said, ElvenKind might know when he drops by, that's not my strong side.

Ok, I went ahead and deleted everything and did a clean installation following to forum post you linked me. I actually made the edits in like 5 seconds, and it worked! I literally spent at least 3 hours yesterday trying to figure out what I did wrong. But, I think I messed up in my installation process. My 3.2 patch didn't actually work (I installed it), but I didn't look at a guide on how to actually install the mod correctly. So, I assume that my own version of installation worked, but not the way it was supposed to, and that is why I was having such terrible difficulty getting anything to work. Thank you for your guidance in trying to help me solve this issue

Splendid news, a bit baffling haha, but as long as the end is good all's good