Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ''Why die for Danzig'' (1)

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Default Re: ''Why die for Danzig'' (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    This myth of Russia needing Eastern Europe is weird. It's entirely a fabrication of media determined to demonize Russia. Not that Russia is a saint, but it's acted rationally. Russia still thinks of itself, and vies to be a Great Power on par with China, NATO, and US. Therefore it acts like one, establishing clear zones of influence where it won't tolerate any Western invasions. Russia acts pre-emptively rather than reactively, which has been it's modus operandi for the last two decades. Considering the state of Western-Russian relations after the break of the Soviet Union, its not all that surprising.

Russia isn't interested in Eastern Europe or Finland or Sweden. I don't know where people keep getting this from. All of these nations have made it clear that they hate Russia due to historic grievances and perceived slights. Why would Russia invade them? Just because? They're already in NATO. Russia bombed the Caucus because it had aspirations to join NATO. Russia bombed Ukraine because they too had aspirations to join NATO. If you ask me, Russia's reactions could've been seen from miles away in hindsight. Nothing about it surprises me.

Acting as if Russia is some kind of a rogue agent is comical to me, considering so many in the West are all about pre-emptively attacking enemies who threaten our interests or allies. If anything, it all seems tit-for-tat to me. Peace in Europe isn't going to come unless Russia joins Europe as an ally. Otherwise Russia will continue to act as a self-styled Great Power until internal disaster happens.
    Sweden hate Russia so bad that even in 2005 we gave them half a billion kronor i foreign aid and Finland have been maintaining good relations with Russia since 1945 despite being invaded twice during WW2. Between 1998 and 2011 the Swedish trade with Russian increased elevenfold before starting to decline due to the increasing troubles with doing business in Russia.

Furthermore Europe have already tried treating Russia as an ally to be integrated in economic collaborations.

Hakkapeliitta's Avatar Senator
    Dark side of the Moooooon (where the cows are)

Finland was invaded once, then we took back what was ours and invaded the USSR and got kicked into semi-subserviance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakkapeliitta View Post
    Crimea (as much as one can ascribe will to a region) wanted to be part of Russia rather than Ukraine in the 90s when it became relevant and they were kicked into the curb by everyone. You can look up polls from early nineties to this day and the trend is that Crimea wants to, if not be part of Russia, then at least be apart from Kiev. Just look up polls from any and all, respected and disrespected polling organisations and they will tell you the same thing.

Do you have any, even cursory knowledge about the issue at all?
    So much did they want to become part of Russia that Russia had to fake the referendum.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MareNostrum

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Hakkapeliitta View Post
    Finland was invaded once, then we took back what was ours and invaded the USSR and got kicked into semi-subserviance.
    The final battles of the continuation war took place on Finnish soil which mean that Finland got invaded twice.

The most severe subservience ended in 1948 when the communist lost the election badly and found themselves unable to conduct a coup like in the Czechoslovakia. The Finnish policy have however even after the fall of the Soviet Union been focused on maintaining a good relationship with Russia but also being prepared for bullying attempts by Russia.

In any ways I consider the Finnish strategy to be a role model for maintaining relations with Russia. Look for trade but do not accept bullying tactics that may compromise national independence

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

Hilarious, thinking Finlandization is a role model. The same model that NATO was eager to prevent in other countries, in order to stir up enmity to Soviet Russia.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; September 02, 2016 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Unnecessary personal reference removed.
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

Good. Its too bad that all European-Russian relations are on suspension due to the crisis in Ukraine. If nobody hates anyone, okay let's scratch out hate. If nobody is scared of anyone, then why do we bother with so much anti-Russian rhetoric? Why do pundits bother with scenarios of Russia invading Sweden? Or the Baltic? There is nobody within a 1000 mile radius that wants Swedish land.

Finland have been maintaining good relations with Russia since 1945 despite being invaded twice during WW2. Between 1998 and 2011 the Swedish trade with Russian increased elevenfold before starting to decline due to the increasing troubles with doing business in Russia.
    Yes, that's why Northern Europe wants to be ready for any Russian incursion.

If peace was a priority then making Russia part of NATO should've been the first priority. Moreover, I can't fault Russia for wanting to follow independent foreign policy in the aftermath of Kosovo and the Gulf War.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromikaites View Post
    So much did they want to become part of Russia that Russia had to fake the referendum.
    You should write a letter to FSB, electoral fraud is a serious crime in Russia and they'd be interested in any evidence of such crime, since we assume you aren't making up and actually have evidence for your claim.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123