Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [CAMPAIGN] Split Army (WIP)

Default Re: [Game Mechanic] Split Army (WIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Viking1978 View Post
    Would it be easy to write a script which has generals start out on their own? I mean start with a unit of 1/80 or 1/160 the same way that garrisons refresh from zero after being sacked? That's another workaround that I would like to see... Wouldn't even mind this kind of system for all units, but it would make a lot more sense with dead generals that are replaced this way or the split armies you are working on...
    As far as I know, no, there's no way to do this, at least not purely through script. Campaign scripts cannot modify the number of men in a unit.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Uhu... me neither... Thought maybe something could be managed in combination with the manpower mod... maybe not... I only know of the half Roman units at game start and garrison units starting from zero. And true, the half units are managed in the startpos.

Maybe if you have a unit that has only one man.... that can be upgraded into one of 160 men? It should still keep the one man, right? But this way the next general would have a unit of 160 also... Is there a way to downgrade again through scripting?
    There must be a way for this...

Willhelm123's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Viking1978 View Post
    Would it be easy to write a script which has generals start out on their own? I mean start with a unit of 1/80 or 1/160 the same way that garrisons refresh from zero after being sacked? That's another workaround that I would like to see... Wouldn't even mind this kind of system for all units, but it would make a lot more sense with dead generals that are replaced this way or the split armies you are working on...
    It's easy and possible just through start pos editing, you can set the number of troops in any unit that way. But i think we'd prefer that they start with a full body guard, i just cant imagine any faction sending a general out as literally one man with no guards.
    AE Dev, mainly units

Quote Originally Posted by Willhelm123 View Post
    It's easy and possible just through start pos editing, you can set the number of troops in any unit that way. But i think we'd prefer that they start with a full body guard, i just cant imagine any faction sending a general out as literally one man with no guards.
    I think he's asking that generals start with 1 man when recruited or when they replace a general in another army that died (so a nearly-destroyed army doesn't magically get a general unit instantly).

Having generals at the startpos with 1 man in a 160-man/80-man unit is possible, but I believe that is not what he's asking for. He's asking that all generals, when they are recruited (not just at the startpos) start with 1 man, or at least less than the full unit size.

Having a general unit have 1 man in it when recruited it also possible. But I believe that he isn't asking for that either, he wants the general to have 1 man when recruited then replenish up to their full unit size.

What he is asking for is not possible, not as far as I know.
    Last edited by Causeless; August 31, 2016 at 07:08 AM.

(scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

It's totally possible. In my current TLR campaign (turned into a non-historical Renaissance campaign), I script a rebellion inside an army, and the loyal captain (your general who take control of the army after the rebellion) start with exactly 7 man in the unit (the unit have 80 in full stack), plus I put limit to the rest of the units in this army. Also I did (via script) a limitation to take new soldiers for the units in this army (just the first time after ther ebellion and bodyguard unit included) in one exactly settlement, and then, after that, they can work as a normal army.

So yeah, its possible, but is absurd, most of the bodyguard units where taken from the army itself, and most of the times (with a few exceptions) any general in the ancient times went to battle without good bodyguard. But yes, its possible. In fact is very easy to make it if you have some experience. But without a expecific situation or reason, is a useless script.

With the work I saw from Hardballer, he's totally able to make it without any doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hassassins View Post
    It's totally possible. In my current TLR campaign (turned into a non-historical Renaissance campaign), I script a rebellion inside an army, and the loyal captain (your general who take control of the army after the rebellion) start with exactly 7 man in the unit (the unit have 80 in full stack), plus I put limit to the rest of the units in this army. Also I did (via script) a limitation to take new soldiers for the units in this army (just the first time after ther ebellion and bodyguard unit included) in one exactly settlement, and then, after that, they can work as a normal army.

So yeah, its possible, but is absurd, most of the bodyguard units where taken from the army itself, and most of the times (with a few exceptions) any general in the ancient times went to battle without good bodyguard. But yes, its possible. In fact is very easy to make it if you have some experience. But without a expecific situation or reason, is a useless script.

With the work I saw from Hardballer, he's totally able to make it without any doubt.
    The only real statement that leaves me rather incredulous is "... can do anything". We're all experienced enough modders here to know how ridiculous that statement is. Without a doubt, Hassassins, you are one of the most skilled modders from the things you've done, and I'm sure that even you'd admit that some things aren't practically possible given the hardcoded limitations in the game.
    EDIT: The post I am referring to here was deleted by a moderator.

It is interesting to hear that you found a solution. Perhaps it is possible to change the starting men in a unit via some combination of startpos and db editing, but as far as I am aware a unit is considered immutable in script (and as such the feature presumably couldn't be done in script alone). I'm not really much of a db or startpos editor so I don't know a great deal there. For the sake of my own education and knowledge, may you please tell me how you did it?

EDIT:

On that note, have you ever considered making any of your modding stuff open source? Considering the magnitude of your claims I think it would help the TW modding community greatly if you could share your knowledge.
    Last edited by Causeless; September 01, 2016 at 08:36 AM.

Of course there is mods that cant be done, this game (even if CA said "is the most moddeable TW game ever made) is hard codded in some stuff. But there is a lot of things you can do it with this game/engine. Modding is about imagination of course.

About the other thing, yes, is a half startpos and half script job. Nothing else.

And no, I'll not share anything from my modding, I'll only share about music and campaign map (import from Rome 2 I mean) if I have success, nothing else. Why? Im using this new account and not my first one (with more than 2000 posts, a lot of reputation...) for a reason, for something happen back in Empire TW (some people knows). CA is destroying modding community more in each game, and some modders (and youtubers) are helping them. So no, I'll not share my work. In fact, about music and animations some modders here (big ones included) ask me for help, then call me "liar" because I talk and dont release anything. Then I showed them a little video of a dragon (Sindragosa inspired, made originally for Skyrim by myself) atacking a Renaissance ship, and then ask sorry and ask me for help again. For music and maps are still calling me liar some people. For these reasons I'll not share anything from me, If I have success with music and campaign maps, I'll share with AE team and community, but nothing else.

And yes, there is a lot of things we, modders, can do with Attila, just need to try a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hassassins View Post
    Of course there is mods that cant be done, this game (even if CA said "is the most moddeable TW game ever made) is hard codded in some stuff. But there is a lot of things you can do it with this game/engine. Modding is about imagination of course.

About the other thing, yes, is a half startpos and half script job. Nothing else.

And no, I'll not share anything from my modding, I'll only share about music and campaign map (import from Rome 2 I mean) if I have success, nothing else. Why? Im using this new account and not my first one (with more than 2000 posts, a lot of reputation...) for a reason, for something happen back in Empire TW (some people knows). CA is destroying modding community more in each game, and some modders (and youtubers) are helping them. So no, I'll not share my work. In fact, about music and animations some modders here (big ones included) ask me for help, then call me "liar" because I talk and dont release anything. Then I showed them a little video of a dragon (Sindragosa inspired, made originally for Skyrim by myself) atacking a Renaissance ship, and then ask sorry and ask me for help again. For music and maps are still calling me liar some people. For these reasons I'll not share anything from me, If I have success with music and campaign maps, I'll share with AE team and community, but nothing else.

And yes, there is a lot of things we, modders, can do with Attila, just need to try a bit.
    Thanks for the response about how you did it - presumably you hide an army created in the startpos somehow and reveal it when the army rebels? I had a small discussion with ABH about this on what the db/startpos can do there, and that's my best assumption. However I don't know if that'd allow for a replacing general to spawn with less men in their unit, as it requires the army in the startpos. It's an impressive workaround nonetheless and a good idea!

Anyways, I respect the work you've done, I just think it'd be a pity if the big things you've discovered quietly disappear.

Of course, being that these are your own discoveries, it's your own to do what you want with, and you are entirely reasonably in wanting to keep it private. It's your mod and you can do what you want with it, including keeping it private.

I just think that the work you've done could really help the TW modding community as a whole. I believe open-source modding is something that benefits everyone, and that's why I've released all my scripts openly. If you are concerned about your work being stolen, if you put it under a suitable license it means any mods that use it must give you accreditation.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Keep it civil. I do not want to have to start handing out infractions in a mod forum.

UMCenturion's Avatar Ducenarius

In other news, it's September folks! 30 days! (the rest of the team is going to kill me with the pressure).

Mod Lead - UI/2D Art - Custom Map Editing

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by UMCenturion View Post
    In other news, it's September folks! 30 days! (the rest of the team is going to kill me with the pressure).
    Looking forward to a beautiful mod, with a long life ... amen!

Yes, yes we are
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

What are you doing typing on twc?
    Get back to work!

Decanus

I've seen everyone of Ancient Empire videos on Youtube, learned a lot from them for battle fighting. Must be anywhere from 70-100 videos on this mod. I play DEI all the time with Rome2, looking forward to playing this mod with attila. Usually play Rome and fight all the way to the end of a campaign. Maybe leaving 10 countries still free at the most.

Well our full campaign is 1200 turns long so have fun xD

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    Well our full campaign is 1200 turns long so have fun xD
    This is off topic compared to the OP, but how will you make sure the campaign isn't just a boring grind? What could possibly make a campaign take 1200 turns?

That is something that hasnt been fully realised yet and would take a long time to explain. In short the main idea is just to overload the player with things to do, problems with culture clashes, political scandals and scuffles both inside and out, rebellions, huge events that will shake Rome (and other factions) to the core. Also walled cities should take longer to capture, we'd like wars to genuinely last several years instead of several turns. We'll have to increase the ferocity of the AI while also making them more likely to conclude peace, so that you will have periods of expansion and stabilization.

If that doesnt appeal to people we can always add in submods, but I always got bored of campaigns been a steamroller.

Personally I find internal problems (like rebellions, civil wars or political scandals) rather frustrating than entertaining. Tho I know that external problems limit only to fighting with other factions and that is just not enough modding space to make it as immersive and entertaining (without making it ridicolously hard) as we all would like it to be.

I think thats kinda the idea though, as a faction leader you would be frustrated by enemy political factions in your state that you would have to deal with or just wholly stamp out. We'll think of something that hopefully wont be too annoying and more intriguing.

When this feature is finished, would you consider releasing it as a standalone mod? Vanilla Attila could definitely need the ability to split armies

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast