Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [CAMPAIGN] Split Army (WIP)

Default [CAMPAIGN] Split Army (WIP)

Hey guys, I want to introduce today a new game mechanic that I've been working on lately, the goal is to give you back a way to split your forces.
    Keep in mind it still early in development and may not be ready for our first release.

If you have some ideas you want implemented with this mechanic I'm taking them !

Default Re: [Game Mechanic] Split Army (WIP)

Wow, nice work!

Juno's , great work!

The only improvement(s) I can think of this is if you could somehow select one unit from the main army to act as the command unit, or at least replace the unit card with something more generic rather than a general's portrait.
    This command unit whilst allowing the main army to split up, wouldn't give the new army any bonuses like a normal general, similarly to how captains worked in Rome Total War.

I don't even know if that is possible, but it's an idea.
    Last edited by FieryMastermind; August 07, 2016 at 12:29 PM.

Awesome just AWESOME!...
    --------> http://play0ad.com <--------
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //
    HDD: 1TB // SSD: 128GB // SSD: 240GB // External: 3TB

Quote Originally Posted by FieryMastermind View Post
    The only improvement(s) I can think of this is if you could somehow select one unit from the main army to act as the command unit, or at least replace the unit card with something more generic rather than a general's portrait.
    This command unit whilst allowing the main army to split up, wouldn't give the new army any bonuses like a normal general, similarly to how captains worked in Rome Total War.
    That was what I was aiming to do but unfortunately that's not possible, I'm stuck with having to use a general.
    We will create a specific bodyguard unit for that "captain" that will be less skilled to compensate.
    Last edited by hardballer; August 07, 2016 at 03:02 PM.

Clever, really clever. You, Scripters, are miracle workers of the TW modding community.

I wonder what would happen if you completely merge 2 captain-led detachments though? And can you split a captain-led detachment furthermore?

Technically we can allow a captain to recruit another captain, it's more of a balance thing here.
    Removing (disband or merge) the last unit of a captain's force will kill that captain, you won't be able to have a captain on his own walking around in the campaign map.

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    Clever, really clever. You, Scripters, are miracle workers of the TW modding community.

I wonder what would happen if you completely merge 2 captain-led detachments though? And can you split a captain-led detachment furthermore?
    I think it best to have the captains spawned from the general only, and probably limit the amount. You will be able to merge the detachments back again and the captain will be destroyed. At least thats one option of doing it.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

I'm guessing this is possible in Rome 2, nice job hardballer.

King_of_Spoons64's Avatar Civis

Would the AI be able to use it?
    Oh my god and several other deities.

Can't tell, I'm not familiar with the script functions available in Rome 2.
    Concerning the AI no they won't, it's better they stick with big stack I think.
    Last edited by hardballer; August 07, 2016 at 02:06 PM.

Very interesting and ingenious idea! Really clever way of finding a middle-ground between the old and new TW army management.

Will this feature be available for multiplayer campaigns?
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

We will go with an alternate version of the mod for the multiplayer campaign since a lot of yet to be announced mechanics can't be multiplayer compatible.
    Concerning this one, there is good hope it will be include in the multi version but it require some test for me to be sure and I just don't have the time right now.

Quote Originally Posted by hardballer View Post
    We will go with an alternate version of the mod for the multiplayer campaign since a lot of yet to be announced mechanics can't be multiplayer compatible.
    Concerning this one, there is good hope it will be include in the multi version but it require some test for me to be sure and I just don't have the time right now.
    There's a good hope? That sounds good! Do you have any theoretical ideas about how you are going to make this feature multiplayer compatible?

I generally assumed that any features activated via custom script-created UI buttons wouldn't possible to sync across MP, so it would be helpful to know your ideas for bypassing that limitation.

(scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

I'm assuming cm:create_force() is sync between client since CA uses that to spawn hun armies in random places, but that require test to be sure.
    If it's not sync I'm afraid the split army will be a solo player privilege
    Last edited by hardballer; August 07, 2016 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hardballer View Post
    I'm assuming cm:create_force() is sync between client since CA uses that to spawn hun armies in random places, but that require test to be sure.
    If it's not sync I'm afraid the split army will be a solo player privilege
    I'm fairly sure that it's not synced, in fact I believe that none of the scripting is explicitly synced over the network whatsoever.

The reason cm:create_force() works is presumably because the random number generators behind the scenes are synced by being seeded to the same initial value. Due to this, even "random" numbers can be relied on to give consistent and equal results on both clients because of the deterministic nature of the game's scripting and multiplayer campaign mode as a whole.

Alright thx, that will save me some testing time.

That's wonderful But...I See Naples as city in campania.....are You dure is The Best solutIon?

Puteoli or Capua were more important than naples in That time....And i speak as napolitan

We havent renamed the cities yet.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Looks great guys. Looking forward to the full release of AE!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast