Thread: Last Chance to access the Abilities Scripts.

Monsieur Ney's Avatar Laetus

Icon9 Last Chance to access the Abilities Scripts.

Salut à tout le monde dans NT Center,

I'm General Ney from Italy. I decided to submit another post to make it clear: I would really like to have a napoleonic game with the historical (kneeling first rank) Double Rank Fire formation.
    I was wandering long time in search of a mod, a script which could add this ability to the game, but lastly I gave up since I realized at CA they meanly hide
    the abilities scripts, (which should be available like in many other RTS's) therefore preventing everyone from simply defining units' behaviour. I've also found forums where they were discussing about asking CA a branch of NTW code (which should be almost the same with the other titles of the series), about rewriting it entirely from zero (new game) with TW characteristics, since obtaining it from the exe was illegal (that's named cracking ), or even asking CA to let them buy it, but I don't think this too will ever happen.
    So I ask you all, beg you, if you have an 'alternative' method, some useful idea, preferably using PFM, to solve this problem...otherwise, par pitié, I would return to tin soldiers. u_u
    Merde.

Default Re: Last Chance to access the Abilities Scripts.

Nope not possible. It will NEVER happen. The only thing you can do is make the first rank kneel and shoot but the second will stay idle waiting for bullets.

Sorry for lateness, and yes xD Thank You, at least one answered frankly...I gave myself one week of time, at the end of which, if anyone couldn't help I would have turned back to Imperial Glory. I didn't expect much help anyway. Well that's good, in that age units were expected to be bold, even in that way (have you seen Barry Lyndon? ) You gave me an idea though...how did you manage to make only the first rank kneel? Did you just remove only the standing animations from line infantry animation lists?

Hey Sirlion,
    I've just seen your mod 'Rise of the Eagles', I must say I got quite interested, have you finished it? I think it's one of the best of NTW. Nice textures (improvable but really historically accurate and..nice). Besides...Gendarmerie à cheval? Weren't they only a militia with policemen tasks in revolutionary age?

I watch Barry Lyndon once a month. To my knowledge there was a gendarmere à cheval during the first half of the conflict, but if I'm wrong I can always remove the unit and do something else. Seeing as the number of units for MTW2 (yes the mod is for MTW2 not NTW) is limited to 500, I had to make compromises between which units could be available in each country, therefore a basic mounted militia unit for German-allied controlled territory had to be created. That is why I'm using it at the moment. And no, I'm not done, I'm a lone dev just like Steph is at the moment. I'm also collaborating with Victoria Total War therefore making units for that one also takes away some time.

What I did was simply change the basic standing \ standing+reloading \ combat ready animations from the line infantry with the ones used by light infantry.

Sorry for lateness! (network provider problems) Really? :O Ah ok, got it...thank you. Mmh..which conflict? :O You meant the Revolutionary Period? After that Napoleon deeply reformed the French Army (and not only that) and I seem to remember the Gendarmerie was modified\integrated in other corps. So, as far as I know animations lists are like 'inventories', from which hidden scripts read the animations, so one cannot edit a script but can choose which animations may be available...I guess at CA they were too lazy to modify names, so you will find for example 'archer_fragment.txt' or 'pike_square.txt' ect...
    Line infantry uses musket_fragment.txt (I'm pretty sure of it), but I really can't find that one related to light infantry...do you know which one is it?
    Anyway I will follow your works with interest.

To be honest I dont remember. Too many engines to modify, I get confused sometimes. Go download my submod for MoE HERE and see how I did it. Feel free to modify it (which is highly advisable since I've based the projectiles on MoE's database). And if you happen to have your index finger on the left mouse button while hovering on the +rep button, maybe click it.
    Last edited by Sirlion; August 12, 2016 at 04:07 PM.

I cant understand why they left something so simple out of the picture in this game, they had it in Empire but I guess were too lazy to add such a basic feature in this game for whatever reason. I just cant wrap my head around what they were thinking when they left kneel fire out.

Ah, I see...wait a minute: 'Sir_Firing_Drill'? Well, I've been trying it long time, then studied it several times, but with all due respect Sirlion,
    there is not a change with the original musket_fragment file. You don't even know which file light infantry uses, right? Furthermore, the Sir_Firing_Drill minimod I tried was the same as the common Fire by Rank, if not even uglier, since units start to reload instead of firing when they spot the enemy (not to mention the stance glitches)...so I could raise only my medium finger for now u_u

Yep, that's what I thought all over these years...and that's what I'm trying to explain everyone, we have to make a massive poll and send it to CA. No, there is not in ETW such a feature, but they added it in Shogun 2...It's quite a shame methinks...I would go myself to England to make THEM kneel under fire after I fustigated their knees, so they would finally learn how to kneel like infantrymen of XIXth cent... u_u

Ah, Sirlion, I forgot to ask, where you from? I can speak four languages, so...

Anyway, I let myself go too much...you're right biasedplatypus , I mean it's so basic...at first I thought they made this ability 'acquirable' in campaign mode (like in IMPERIAL GLORY), then I thought they got somehow 'trapped' by compiling functions and scripts which 'excluded' somehow the possibility of Double Rank Fire, but here it is Shogun 2 released with right this ability...
    Don't know, they merely indolently forgot it probably... u_u'

Medium finger? What the hell? Well so long to the "respect". And if you bothered to read the description and understand what I was trying to achieve you would have at least refrained from basically calling me a moron with that statement. I'm also done justifiying myself to you sir, with this utterly stupid response you have gone too far. Criticism is one thing but I consider this a personal attack. Good day to you, we will never speak again.

Sirloin, your mod looks great and firing by rank is what I was talking about in my previous post and is what I have been looking for for a while, I'm sure Monsiuer Neys intentions were not to insult you, perhaps he was just making a joke. But nonetheless I am going to definietley be trying your mod out.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

About Gendarmerie: They were a military police still used in Napoleon's army. Their main task was to "hunt" people who tried to escape conscription... But they also took a more active part, like in Spain, were the "Petite Gendarmerie d'Espagne" was used as a counter terrorist unit.
    In MoE, they have the "garrison" bonus to help keep order in your occupied province.
    There was also a small unit of "Gendarme d'Elite" in the Imperial guards.

A few other factions had Gendarmerie as police force (Italy or Poland for example), and a few others as a small size unit in the Guard (like Hessen Kassel).

This is a general answer to enlighten everyone.

"Monsieur" Ney (emphasis on the quote, in an ironic way). It's a very good idea you had to propose a poll. We are all very dumb here, and no one ever thought about that, not even to ask for an expanded or moddable map, which IMO would be a lot more interesting than just "kneel". I'm sure CA will immediately see the light, divert resources from their current game, so they can answer your whinning demand.

Go head, post your poll... We'll see how many middle fingers you get from CA (well, virtual one, they'll probably won't even bother to acknowledge the existence of the poll).

Members who attended the modding submits, and tried to speak about older games such as NTW, were met with ice cold silence.
    Last edited by Steph; August 15, 2016 at 12:35 AM.

I have seen that poll for an expanded map. Not surprised that nothing happened, even if CA made maybe a thousand people happy its not like it would increase sales or increase their pr any substantial amount. Developers only listen to fans if there is a benefit to do so. Which makes sense.

I would argue that Paradox recently patched Victoria 2 to a new version and fixed a good amount of bugs, and Victoria 2 is the same year as Empire (2009), the patch came out last December (2015), so no, it doesnt make sense. It takes nothing to fix ages-old bugs that NEED to be fixed. But whatever, this is not the place to discuss Paradox's superiority. It's just a bit sad.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

The poll for the expanded map was to propose a paid DLC with a new map. CA would have been able to increase their sales.