Thread: Chronicles from TATW, TWC - W.I.P

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Chronicles from TATW, TWC - W.I.P

Plan to just set up a little Chronicle over important and/or notable events, content and alike for our little merry corner of the web through the years.
    Input & corrections or concerns are welcome, this is something I will tend to now and then, being one fairly old timer still around ^^
    That the submod section focus on the large submods, a subjective term for sure, is that those have had the vastes impact on the community overall, and I beg all excellent Hobbits pardon who are not mentioned, it's not because you have not made your appriciated and respected social or modding mark

~~~

~ Third Age Initated
    Third Age: Total War mod project is started [when?] with Code_Knight as leader.
    A hint of time frame is that the forum's "Local Moderator Forum Rules"-thread was posted the 19th December, 2006.

King Kong joined the ranks by the latest June 2008 [updated as evidence unfolds] takes over as team leader [when?].

~ TATW Beta?
    Was there ever a public beta?

~ TATW version 1.0 was relased in April 2009

~ TATW patch 1.1 in May
    "Only" bugfixes?

Around this time MasterBigAb joined TWC and the TATW team, who created the intro movies for game and factions throughout its publication.

~ TATW patch 1.2 in August
    "Only" bugfixes?

~ TATW patch 1.3 in October
    Content: complete rework of Dale, complete rework of Gondorian units with plate armor. Beorning units available as mercenaries in Anduin-Vale. New armor upgrade textures for Heavy Silvan Elves units, and new Heroes and Textures (Legolas, Haldir, Theoden, Ugluk, Grishnak), and more.

~ TATW patch 1.4 in late December
    Content: The Balrog, Uruk-hai cleavers, Guards of the Orthanc, Troll-men of Harad, new Heroes (by bilwit): Boromir, Faramir, Glorfindel, Elladan and Elrohir, King Aragorn Elessar

~ TATW version 2.0 and patch 2.1 came in July 2010
    Added news such as: Orcs of Gundabad, Reemerging Arnor and all new Eriador unit apperances, new Heroes & Units, new siege weapons for evil factions.
    It has about 400 000 downloads by December 2016.

Local Moderators
    Jean=A=Luc and MasterBigAb

Muffer NI
    was a regular who helped adivce and instruct to the point he was often held as, if never was a, LM.

Submods
    The "Golden Age" of the large submods ca 2009 - 2012
    The first era of submods, and notably the large submods, here defined as the most popular, influential and/or dominating a nische.

Baron Samedi helped lift the scripting of the TATW submod stage to a new level. His "Gameplay Enhancing Submods Compilation"-thread went up in September 2010 and became one of the really 'large mods' that set the bar in popular conciousness, together with FRoME and MOS [see below]. It's focus was optional submods when starting a campaign, customizing the experience.

Forgotten Realms of Middle-earth [FRoME], by koultouras, came as beta in March 2010. It was noticable for new unit models and splitting up factions, adding Lothlórien, Ered Luin and Dunland.

Massive Overhaul Submods (MOS) was started by Hero of the West, in 2010 or early 2011, aiming to compile many smaller mods. It took a middleground between Baron Samedi's optional, scripted content (from which many submods came) and FRoME's additonal units and factions, and generally they were 'the three large ones' about whom players argued benefits.

PCP (Dagor Ennor) by alreadyded went official with a thread in May 2010, and had a beta out in at least 2011. It's hooks are new maps with multiple new beasts and monsters, and beastly factions.

As a development of FRoME, the submod Forgotten Realms of Gathered Submods [FRoGS] was released in September 2011 as a beta, led by David93.

Turtlemod: Revolution was created by alleycat, that offered a slow paced but startegic experience.

TATW big unit submod, headed by T & D, provided new material, that became used by many mods and the snow trolls became parts of Third Age.

Vale of Anduin, led by Elphir of Dol Amroth, added the faction after which it was named, and came to be a resource for many other mods along the way.

Divide & Conquer was went official in 2009 in a thread by Archaon, begun together with Renown and Tokus*Maximus. An early intent was a great amount of factions, loads of events and, at a time, no unit recruitment. The first beta was released in May 2009, and continued to v3.99 in August 2009.

Local Moderators
    StealthFox and Mhaedros joined the ranks

~ TATW 3.0 in December 2011 and TATW patch 3.1 in early 2012
    The long anticipated v3.0 added custom & cultural settlements to Middle-earth, the One Ring-script by Baron Samedi, Palantiri and Galadriel's mirror by Withwanr, new High Elves by Louis Lux, spiders by alreadyded, and much more.
    It has over a million downloads by August 2016.

~ TATW patch 3.2 in June 2012

This would prove the last update for Third Age: Total War, ere King Kong moved on, as announced publicly in December 2013: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Mod-Guideline

Local Moderators
    During Autumn 2012 Emperor of Hell and Ngugi step in as Local Moderators, as Mhaedros stepped down and StealthFox became Moderator and later Hex.

Submods
    The "Silver Age" of the large submods ca 2012-2014

MOS remained the most used of the large mods from the previous period, surviving due to a team who could take over, while Baron Samedi's and koultouras resignations put an end to their mods developments (while FRoME's units became an often used resource for other mods). Hero of the West receded from active duty early during 2012 and was replaced by Stylix as CEO, who stayed until spring 2014.

FRoGS released it's full version in June 2012. The pace slowed down after David93 retired in 2013, but the game remained supported by especially Araval.

Unofficial Patch (later Alternative Patch) by leo.civil.uefs provided many new generic and custom settlements, that have become mainstays in the submods ever since, even if leo' quit modding.

PCP (Dagor Ennor) kept on rolling.

Turtlemod: Revolution was discontinued in 2012.

After Eöl as leader for DaC, Emperor of Hell took over development in late 2012.

FireFreak111 released the first DaC map beta in spring 2013. It being open for all mods, together with leo's, Mank's and others new shared work, initiated a spring for modder cooperation across the board, which had for a time grown apart.

Ngugi and Withwnar released DCI: Tôl Acharn in spring 2012, and begun the new Second Age mod DCI: Last Alliance in August.

Local Moderators
    Emperor of Hell stepped down in the summer of 2013 and ElvenKind took the seat.

Submods
    The "Bronze Age" of the large submods ca 2014 >

Divide and Conquer was at end released, in beta form, in December 2013, under the leadership of Emperor of Hell, marking what I will call the beginning of the 'Bronze Age' of TATW:s large mods. The leadership torch was passed over to Arachir Galudirithon during the following year, who continued the mod with primarily Hummingbird. In August 2016 the final version 1.0 was released.

MOS was supported if not in development after Stylix had to retire, but kept evolving through the submods "Reunited Kingdom" by MIKE GOLF and Mr.Jox and "dIRECTOR's Cut" by dIRECTOR. Hero of the West returned for a short stint where parts of its two large submods were included in a last MOS version, in April 2015, but Hero receded thereafter and MOS has since only been supported, by Veteraan and Greymane, not updated.

PCP became renamed Ennor Dagor in 2015, and both expanded it's map borders and added First Age-content.

FRoGS has kept going under the leadership of Araval in slow progress.

Local Moderators As ElvenKind took a break later 2014, Arachir Galudirithon filled in for a while. ElvenKind returned in the spring or summer 2015.
    Veteraan became LM in the summer of 2016, as Ngugi stepped down.
    Last edited by Ngugi; July 20, 2017 at 04:30 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chronicles from TATW, TWC - W.I.P

confess that you made this one just to state this

as Ngugi is about to step down.
    other than that, you forgot to mention the most awesome dude that passed by these local fora, you really missed this one!

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Pffh, it goes without saying!

Oh my, how right you are! How could I forget? Luckily it's a just initated WIP, so I will mention Mank soon enough. Thanks for the heads up!

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Great effort!

Shouldn't it be Dagor Ennor instead of Ennor Dagor?
    And...
    Forgotten Realms of Gathered subodsMiddle-Earth [FRoME], by koultouras...
    FRogGS has kept going...
    What will be after the Bronze Age? The Stone Age?

Thanks; history lost in time is so easy when folks come and go, felt like a nice thing to provide

Will fix!

Haha, once we're gone we can call it so! x)

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

as Ngugi is about to step down.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    I see civil war coming if you leave your seat o pink lord if you don't choose a heir????????????????????????
    So who will be your heir???????????????????????????
    what did we do wrong mighty pink lord that you leave us??????????????????????????????????????????????
    I will pay my taxes in rep immediately!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Haha, Veteraan hold the whip now too, and the Pink Lord will lurk in the shadows, not leave the land
    The Ferrit thank you for your loyal levy!

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Haha, Veteraan hold the whip now too, and the Pink Lord will lurk in the shadows, not leave the land
    The Ferrit thank you for your loyal levy!
    that is great news I am happy now
    on a side note are you the longest still active LM since you stepped in?
    thanks for doing this through
    I suggest sticking this btw
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Yeah; J=A=L and MBA are not active and have not been for years, neither StealthFox, so that should be correct.

Might ask for a sticky when it's further done, not a bad idea ^^

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Puhh, this all seems like aaaaages ago, I'm sorry but I don't recall, nor kept any information what happened when, how etc...

In "web time" it was ages ago, haha, thus a chronicle before all eldermen 'passed away' ^^

But as for two details you may recall; when did you started to make videos for TATW (since those helped create hype for the games and set atmosphere ingame hehe)/joined the team & when did you became became LM or Moderator for the TATW forum?
    Last edited by Ngugi; August 15, 2016 at 11:16 AM.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

I joined the forum and the team immediately after 1.0 release. Local moderator I do not really know, but I think from around end of 2009 or beginning 2010...
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; August 15, 2016 at 01:07 PM.

Goodo