Thread: How to succeed with the Pahlava?

Default How to succeed with the Pahlava?

I'd like to succeed with the Pahlava. I think it was the only "civilized" empire that managed to resist Roman expansion. And ancient Persia is an interesting culture in its own right.

But the Pahlava are a diffcult faction. As I see it, at the start you have basically three options:

1. Attack AS.

2. Attack rebel provinces.

3. Iniyially refrain from attacking and try to build up your economy.

I see issues with all three of these.

The problem with attacking AS is that they are large and powerful, and their territory almost surrounds yours, leaving you open to wars on several fronts with a more powerful and richer enemy. Yes, you can take down their armies with HAs, but they can afford to lose battles and even provinces, whereas you really can't. Their endless stacks can eventually tire you. And in my experience, whenever facing the AS, they will tend to make peace with all the other factions they are fighting to focus on you (whatever faction you are).

Attacking other rebel provinces will likley lead you into conflict with the other nomad factions. This will lead to wars over poor provinces, and of course leaving you very vulnerable to the behemoth to the south.

And finally, the problem with #3 is that your starting provinces are not that amazing, and having only two provinces means you need to expand.

So how do you go about?

Libertus

Default Re: How to succeed with the Pahlava?

I believe the first option is the only real viable one. As you said economy will never work with only
    2 provinces and as you said again, the nomad provinces are too poor. I always attack Asaak and Zadrakata in the first turns, and preferably Antiocheia-M next (I think? whichever is closest to Nisa). I play VH/M and maybe I gotlucky AS was fighting on multiple fronts, but thats how I did it anyway.

And most importantly, never forget, Horse Archers rule the world!

Julio85's Avatar Biarchus

I was used to build up the economy and attack all the provinces the rebels to the AS, so you are not in war against them at first....then when the army is ready and the AS is in war with Haystan, Pontos and Ptolemais....just betray, they will not have an army to send against Nisa and steppes area.

Boriak's Avatar Senator

Attack the AS. They are your main opponent. If you attack the Eleutheroi, you are not depriving AS of their strength. If you attack them, you're gaining while they're losing ground, a double plus for you.
    In battle, always attack. Go in with horse archers, shoot the units in the back, charge with your bodyguards if the units are tired and depleted of numbers, then retreat when you run out of ammo. Repeat if necessary. Make them pay for every step they make towards your cities. Don't worry about losing a battle, it's a tactical retreat after all.

Use forest areas on the strategic map to put your units into ambush mode if you want to avoid being attacked. Just make sure there aren't any enemy spies around (usually there aren't).

An old conversation you might find insightful: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...e-how-to-horse
    Last edited by Boriak; September 28, 2016 at 12:04 PM.