Thread: Book suggestions - 30YW , Northern War?

Default Book suggestions - 30YW , Northern War?

Looking for books about the Thirty Years' War and the Great Northern War, any recommendations? I've already seen The Thirty Years' War: Europe's tragedy mentioned in the historical books threads, but other suggestions are welcome. Couldn't find anything about the Northern War there, though.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Book suggestions - 30YW , Northern War?

From what perspective - Just general or military, or a particular region or country?

Thirty Years' War and the Great Northern War
    You can try JSTOR if your of a mind for published papers (academic that is ) and University press type books. If you go to MyJSTOR you can register and book up 3 works a month on a 'book self' that you can read online. I pretty sure if you do a search with either of your terms you find quit a bit to read.
    Last edited by conon394; July 31, 2016 at 10:34 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

I would prefer something focused more on the Swedish perspective, but general suggestions are also welcome

Salvo's Avatar Maréchal de l'Empire

Recently I read Peter Englund’s Years of War (about 30YW) and The Invincible (about Charles X Gustav regin) and I can truelly recommend them, especially in terms of Swedish perspective.
    He also wrote Poltava about GNW, but I haven’t read it though :/

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

You will find some inspiration at: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...War_1618_1648_
    Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Quote Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
    Recently I read Peter Englund’s Years of War (about 30YW) and The Invincible (about Charles X Gustav regin) and I can truelly recommend them, especially in terms of Swedish perspective.
    He also wrote Poltava about GNW, but I haven’t read it though :/
    I can also recommend Peter Englund's works on the 30YW. Very detailed, well contextualized, and comfortable to read.