Thread: Question about editing units

Default Question about editing units

What text file do i need to look into to edit units and once in there how would i add dismounted gothic knights to hre and armoured sergeants to england. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Question about editing units

I'm trying to figure that one out myself. Seems a lot of stuff was changed from Rome TW in the file structure. Some files almost seem untouchable.

There is no model files I have yet found to edit so armies aren't "ghosted" on the field.

Maybe lusted can help us out here since he modded them back into his mod. I've tried editing export.descr_buildings.txt by adding entries for dismounted gothic knights and adding England to the faction for sergeant spearmen, but that just crashes my game.

Quote Originally Posted by yupper View Post
    Maybe lusted can help us out here since he modded them back into his mod. I've tried editing export.descr_buildings.txt by adding entries for dismounted gothic knights and adding England to the faction for sergeant spearmen, but that just crashes my game.
    You must have made some kind of typo or syntax error when you tried this. I've added units to faction rosters the same way.
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

For sergeant spearmen, I just located the exiting entries in export_descr_buildings.txt and added "england, " to the required factions. Crashed my game. :hmmm:

For dismounted gothic knights, I experimented by adding the following entry to the village.

recruit_pool "Dismounted Gothic Knights" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { hre, }

I don't know what the numbers meanm, was just experimenting....

Edited: Ah ok, I just tried again with the spearmen and it worked. I also added "england" to the faction ownership in export_descr_unit.txt, and borrowed the French sergeant spearmen unit card. My game didn't crash and they now show up in the building browser (looking like the French....).

Still can't get the dismounted gothic knights to work though.
    Last edited by yupper; December 16, 2006 at 10:25 PM.

So I managed to stumble upon a post by Candelarius, providing support for his M2 Lite mod, and found the proper instructions. Very strange that his thread did not appear in the search results for "dismounted gothic".......

"open your export_descr_buildings.txt file located in the data folder (you will need to unpack to see it), and do a search for "armoury castle". Somewhere under the armoury castle heading, insert the following line:

recruit_pool "Dismounted Gothic Knights" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { hre, }"

Game is not crashing, so should = working now.
    Last edited by yupper; December 16, 2006 at 11:53 PM.

AnY Advice on the battle_models file, found in the unit_models folder. Does this replace the descr-unit-battles thing. If so how is it used.

big bear

How do you unpack the export_descr_buildings.txt

Update to patch 1.2, then use the unpacker tool. Be sure to read the readme and delte the geography. Also consider creating your own mod folder if you are going to modify the game and be sure to make some sort of backup.

To answer the original question, you need to make them recruitable for that nation's building's in the export_descr_buildings.txt file. For adding other units you may also need to edit the export_descr_units.txt file in order to make them ownable by that nation.

I have a 1.2 patch but my game fails to start due to an "undisclosed error" do you know any working download sites?
    Last edited by JHF_22; August 17, 2007 at 05:21 PM.

From www.totalwar.com.

Hope these work for you.

I have tryed three different sites from totalwar.com and i keep getting a "undisclosed error" on start up of the game
    Last edited by JHF_22; August 18, 2007 at 12:24 PM.