Thread: Macedon tactics

mirelicus's Avatar Tiro

Default Macedon tactics

I am in my Macedonian campaign and so far it's going pretty well:conquered all of grece,in Asia,Pergamon is being wiped by my phalanx,and the economy is good,getting around 50 k per turn.
    I have a question though:do you know any tactics that i can use on the battlefield using the phalanx /auxilary/cavalary formula?
    So far i used hammer and anvil ,sending the phalanx(usually 9-10 units of kotoikoi or bottian phalangerists) in a line of 5-6 men deep.On each flank i have 2 units of hoplites and 2 units of cavalary.In front i have 2 units of archers. No defeat so far,but,in one battle against the greeks ,i lost many pikemen agains the thraikan mercenaries they were using.It was a victory,but a costly one.Now I'm looking for a better tactic against this kind of enemy. I was thinking about a V formation formed from 10 phalanxs ,using the auxilaries to repel the flanking forces and the vacalary to hit the tip of the V from behind enemy lines.
    Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was.
    Muhammad Ali

Private jocker

Default Re: Macedon tactics

I personally use 5-6 phalanxes in the middle pushing untill the center is broken. On the flanks I have Heavy infantry only(no skirmishing). When the center is broken I roll my phalanxes to the flanks and rear of the engaged enemy army, pin them in place and then send the Hetairoi to finish the job. This way the whole enemy army is always defeated so that none of the enemy live after the battle. It has worked every time. Just keep the heavy infantry very close to the flanks of the grand phalanx so they don't get casualties from getting flanked.