Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time Commanders (BBC-Series) It's coming back!

Default Re: Time Commanders (BBC-Series) It's coming back!

Looking forward to this, just hope they don't fixate on the Napoleonic wars.
    Aye. Not that i dont like the Napoleonic era... but It seems a rather limited Era for this.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Any one who teaches military strategy would be, by definition, a historian of military tactics. Lynette Nusbacher was one of the few guests who knew what they were talking about, along with Mike Loads who is a real life hard as nails bad ass. Not sure about Greg Wallace but apparently he's a TW nut, might even be a member here, so benefit of the doubt..

Looking forward to this, just hope they don't fixate on the Napoleonic wars.
    Greg, if you're reading, I also like the buttery biscuit base.

For any non-Brits who don't know Greg Wallace, he presents the British version of Masterchef, and also stars in one of the most underrated viral videos in British history:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; December 05, 2016 at 01:57 PM.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

If this is true, hopefully they optimize the games to fit historically accurate numbers... and then send over the patch, cause TW's optimization is getting really old.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Is it anyway for us Barbarians outside the Empire to watch the episodes?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04jrryf

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Can I watch it in Canada? Probably not...

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Lionheartx10, Matt and LBeige. Can't wait to see this in action.

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; December 11, 2016 at 05:02 PM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

It's on BBC iplayer if you can get that...

Still pretty good....

I felt a bit sorry for the Wrestlers seeing as Carthage they really didn't have much chance as long as the Romans simply walked straight into them and swung their cavalry round, hammer and anvil. The historians, even though they didn't seem to know the game should at least have had some knowledge of Roman tactics, but still almost managed to balls it up, and might have if not for the experts giving them the winning moves.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; December 13, 2016 at 05:17 PM.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I would watch it, should prove interesting.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    It's on BBC iplayer if you can get that...

Still pretty good....
    That was a great episode. I was on the side of the Carthaginians since they were from my home city, but the boys from London were rather entertaining also. For the first time, Time Commanders felt like a decent and coherent TV show rather than a slightly disjointed cross between a gaming show and a history documentary as it was in its previous iteration. Greg Wallace is clearly enjoying himself but everyone really seemed to be getting into it. Rome 2 is looking fantastic, if a little glitchy. It was actually the original Time Commanders which got me into Total War in the first place and I think this will win round a lot of converts. Also the change in the format has worked wonders, it's so much better with two teams going head to head.

I felt a bit sorry for the Wrestlers seeing as Carthage they really didn't have much chance as long as the Romans simply walked straight into them and swung their cavalry round, hammer and anvil. The historians, even though they didn't seem to know the game should at least have had some knowledge of Roman tactics, but still almost managed to balls it up, and might have if not for the experts giving them the winning moves.
    Indeed. The Carthaginians could have used their elephants to screen against the cavalry and perhaps been a bit more inventive with their defence, but the Romans definitely had the advantage, they didn't need to be helped quite so much.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    That was a great episode. I was on the side of the Carthaginians since they were from my home city, but the boys from London were rather entertaining also. For the first time, Time Commanders felt like a decent and coherent TV show rather than a slightly disjointed cross between a gaming show and a history documentary as it was in its previous iteration. Greg Wallace is clearly enjoying himself but everyone really seemed to be getting into it. Rome 2 is looking fantastic, if a little glitchy. It was actually the original Time Commanders which got me into Total War in the first place and I think this will win round a lot of converts. Also the change in the format has worked wonders, it's so much better with two teams going head to head.

Indeed. The Carthaginians could have used their elephants to screen against the cavalry and perhaps been a bit more inventive with their defence, but the Romans definitely had the advantage, they didn't need to be helped quite so much.
    Yeh the new format is definitely more fun and like yourself the first series really drew me into the TW series.

Elephants were always a bit of a hindrance in the TW games, just as likely to turn and wreck your line as they were to destroy an enemies. I'm not sure Carthage could have won that battle no matter what tactics they deployed. Maybe with a lot of micro management of their forces, but it would have taken an experienced TW team to move them quickly enough to take out the Roman cavalry and flank the main body with slingers and Elephants.

Back on tonight (BBC4 9pm) with the battle of Waterloo...

Blog Entries

This weeks episode; Waterloo - The teams, while both seemingly a bit clueless as to how battle tactics work beyond 'plan A' weren't a total disaster and at least had a 'plan A.' Most entertaining element had to be Greg Wallace looking like he wanted to slap the French team, that said at least this week he didn't shout out either teams tactics before the start of battle (which he did last week). And the experts didn't give either team an obvious winning move, but did encourage them to act on their own ideas. There was still an element of the experts leading by omission and the recommended tactics in the skirmish session are heavily relied on which was a drag of the original series.

Great fun to watch, though really would love to see two teams of TW players go head to head. Wonder if you could get three people to play as a team though...

I quite enjoyed episode 2.

I think the France team were struggling in the skirmish, like they didn't really know what to do or how to use their line infantry, but it looked like they were facing a lot of cannon. They did better in the main battle.

The main battle was entertaining but it was hard to tell what was going on sometimes with some of the shots of the battle map and the main screen being so zoomed out. The ending was enjoyable when it wasn't clear who would win, both teams had few and depleted units left.

Some of the action cut scenes were a little poor, the graphics looked really bad at one point when they showed a close up of the cavalry running past the camera. Also there was a shot of cavalry fighting where the two swords of the opposing fighters didn't even connect!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123