Thread: Problem Adding Regions

Default Problem Adding Regions

Hello all!

There was already a thread here before with a nice step by step guide to adding regions by Riccio, but it seems to have vanished, so I'll have to post a new topic.

I know you guys I probably fed up of people asking about adding new regions by now, but I have followed two or three tutorials by the letter and I always have the same error no matter what

I was wondering if anyone could explain what I'm doing wrong. Here is the error message I get in my log, it happens no matter which tutorial I follow and no matter where I try to add a region on the map, always the same.

19:59:39.812 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1079, column 5
    Settlement specifies port, but this region is not allowed a port - can be ignored,but port building will not be created for settlement!

19:59:39.812 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1079, column 5
    could not create settlement at script line 1079.

Out of curiosity I looked up line 1079 in that particular file, its Crete, I have never touched Crete so no idea why it says it can't have a port or place it on the map. I tried reinstalling the game and the same problem occurs, also the same problem before and after patch.

I've been trying for about a week now and always get the same message, HELP

Xerces's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Problem Adding Regions

Goto my thread here mate: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73660

Give me a shout and I will be more than happy to help.

Xerces
    "But sire, wont we hit our own troops?"..."Yes but we'll hit theirs as well!"
    "it's easy enough to say "wait for the patch" or "wait for modders," both of which have dramatically improved Creative Assembly's previous games. I can only presume that will be the case here, at which point I look forward to seeing how Empire: Total War turns out. But we review the games we're given, not the games we wish they'll become."

Founding Member of MTWII Modding Arts Inc.
    My How To Add A Region Guide For MTW2

I have followed your tutorial very carefully but everytime i start the game screen goes black and i get "an unexpected error occured" and boom, CTD

Someone please help me I was just trying to make Ireland 2 provinces instead of one.

Thanks

by the way my log reads:

01:15:58.343 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 123, column 1
    Couldn't find region name 'Armagh_Province' in stringtable

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

TheMagnus
    Don't know if you solved your problem but you needed to add yhe entries into the file in the Text folder ie imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

If you think you have already done this then check your spelling

WoodMan_84 - Reference your Crete problem. If you are just using the .TGA file and not the HGT file then the 0,0,0 values in heights get interpreted as water. This can make a port position invalid. eg just try it with the original map take out the RWM file and the HGT and it generates errors (Position of resource in Crete - as its now in the sea and a Croation port as that's now in the sea.

someone please,i´m getting pretty desperate!my imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt looks like this ¬ Names for regions and settlements in the imperial campaign
    {North_America} North_America
    {Inverness_Province} Inverness_Province
    {Oslo_Province} Oslo_Province
    {Stockholm_Province} Stockholm_Province
    {Helsinki_Province} Helsinki_Province
    {Novgorod_Province} Novgorod_Province
    {Moscow_Province} Moscow_Province
    {Volga-Bulgar_Province} Volga
    {Riga_Province} Riga_Province
    {Arhus_Province} Arhus_Province
    {Edinburgh_Province} Edinburgh_Province
    {Vilnius_Province} Vilnius_Province
    {Smolensk_Province} Smolensk_Province
    {Dublin_Province} Dublin_Province
    {York_Province} York_Province
    {Caribbean_Isles} Caribbean_Isles
    {Ryazan_Province} Ryazan_Province
    {Caernarvon_Province} Caernarvon_Province
    {Thorn_Province} Thorn_Province
    {Nottingham_Province} Nottingham_Province
    {Stettin_Province} Stettin_Province
    {Hamburg_Province} Hamburg_Province
    {Tlaxcala_Province} Tlaxcala_Province
    {Sarkel_Province} Sarkel_Province
    {Antwerp_Province} Antwerp_Province
    {Magdeburg_Province} Magdeburg_Province

it continues and it repeats the provinces again,like this {Miccosukee} Miccosukee
    {Inverness} Inverness
    {Oslo} Oslo
    {Stockholm} Stockholm
    {Helsinki} Helsinki
    {Novgorod} Novgorod
    {Moscow} Moscow
    {Bulgar} Bulgar
    {Riga} Riga
    {Arhus} Arhus
    {Edinburgh} Edinburgh
    {Vilnius} Vilnius
    {Smolensk} Smolensk
    {Dublin} Dublin
    {York} York
    {Caribbean} Caribbean
    {Ryazan} Ryazan
    {Caernarvon} Caernarvon
    {Thorn} Thorn
    {Nottingham} Nottingham
    {Stettin} Stettin
    {Hamburg} Hamburg

i need to know when i add a new region how do i write it?like it is on my file,or the same way that xerxe´s tutorial says "{Cornwall_Province}Cornwall Region
    {Penzance}Penzance "

i think is because of this that a keep having the same problem "Script Error in data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 123, column 1
    Couldn't find region name guimaraes in stringtable"

Tsar Stefan Dusan IV's Avatar Loonatic on the loose!!

I had a similar problem.....
    First things first- I followed xerce's tutorial and when starting a new campaign after choosing a faction, the game took me back to single player menu. I found out what was the problem: the file "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt" just wouldn't work with the mod switcher (I DID NOT unpack pack files), but when i put the same file in the m2tw\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign while using the batch file with the line "medieval2.exe --io.file-first" it worked.
    I can send U unmoded file imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt which has "region" not "province" as shown in xerce's tutorial that works for me. I.e. I made serbia region, moded descr_strat.txt, decr_regions.txt, descr_sounds_music_type.txt, and last not least imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt-i.e.:

{Rascia_Province} Rascia Region
    {Belgrade} Belgrade

I hope this helps

@xerces- everithing from your tutorial works fine except for the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

I managed to solve the problem by putting the file as I wrote above in m2tw\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign but i don't want to mess with the original game, however I tried to put it in mymod\data and mymod\data\text folder without unpacked files and with batch file line medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg and with medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg --io.file-first with some unpacked, moded files. Never worked. I did not try to put it in mymod\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign but You said different location.....To make the long story short, where did I go wrong? btw I erased map.rwm every time I tried..... I would like that map in mymod...... Thanks!!!

Hi Tsar Stefan Dusan IV ,thanks for the help..
    See here... http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...t=73660&page=3

Then, using the mod switch it won t work?
    I tried to add some regions to Road to Jerusalem mod and to The Long Road mod,but it crashed..What i need to do to solve this issue?

Need I to unpack the original M2TW folder or, make a folder called mymod and an .exe(batch file?) with a particular string (like this: medieval2.exe --io.file-first) ??

I please you to help me,thanks guys,you re great !
    Last edited by -Euronymous-; January 03, 2007 at 10:46 AM. Reason: ..

Making that bat file (medieval2.exe --io.file-first) is good, it will make the game read the external (means your) files first.

Also don't forget to delete "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin" everytime you add or remove a city from it, so the game makes a new one with your "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt" file.

Also did you delete the .rmw and .hgt files?

Defender...i ll respond to u here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...t=73660&page=3

thanks.. WE should merge all the debate into one thread...go there..

Aye aye sir