Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Create A New Region

Goffik's Avatar Civis

Icon3 Re: How To Create A New Region

Greetings all.

I too had problems trying to use this tutorial to make new regions. My problem was that the game would CTD when attempting to start a new campaign. The log file would say something about regions missing from the string table. After much tinkering, trial and error I finally got it to work. I'm not really a modder and attempted multiple fixes at once, so I'm not entirely sure what the actual problem was. However, I'll post my method of adding new regions in the hopes it will help some of you out.

Note: The vast majority of the credit goes to Xerces as most of the steps are identical to his. Cheers mate.

Note 2: My preferred way of getting mods to work is the io.file_first method. That may even be why the tutorial didn't work for me...

First of all, I would advise backing up the following files, in case anything goes wrong:

data/world/maps/base:
    map_regions.tga
    descr_regions.txt
    descr_sounds_music_types.txt

data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign:
    descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt
    descr_strat.txt
    descr_mercenaries.txt

data/text:
    imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

Finally, make sure you have a file called imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin in the data/text folderand that it is NOT set to Read Only. If you dont, use the unpacker to extract it.

Now you should be ready to begin...

Navigate to data/world/maps/base.

1. Convert map_regions.tga to a BMP using IrfanView. Open the BMP with Paint. Add regions to the map using unique colours making sure you write down the colour code. Add settlements to the regions using a black dot and ports with a white dot. Save the file, and convert the BMP back to a TGA with IrfanView, overwriting the original file.

2. Open descr_regions.txt and add your region to the list. The easiest way is to simply copy the stats of an existing settlement similar to the one you are adding. Then change the region name (Example_Province) and settlement name (the first word directly beneath the region name), writing both down for future reference. Then change the colour code to exactly what you wrote down in step 1. Save the file.

3. Open descr_sounds_music_types.txt. Add your new region to the relevant section based on its location. Save the file.

Navigate to data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign.

4. Open descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt. Add your region and settlement name, and save the file.

5. Open descr_strat.txt. Find the section relating to the faction you would like to be the initial owner of your new settlement, and add it to the end of the existing settlement list. Again, you could copy/paste the stats for an existing settlement and simply change the name and founding nation. Save the file.

6. Open descr_mercenaries.txt. Add your province to the relevant pool based on its location. This will determine the kind of mercenary units that are available to recruit. Save the file.

Navigate to data/text.

7. Open imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt. Add your region and settlement to the list. Save the file and make sure it has the READ ONLY attribute.

Navigate to data/world/maps/base.

8. Delete map.rwm.

9. Go back over everything you've just done to make sure there are NO spelling errors or typos.

And that should do it... your new region should now appear when you start a new campaign.

For those that didn't notice, the differences are the editing of descr_mercenaries.txt to allow the recruitement of mercs in your region, adding your region to descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt, and making sure imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin exists in the data/text folder and is not Read Only.

Hope this helps some of you get your new regions working.

PXZyan's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: How To Create A New Region

Can anyone tell me where to find unit banners? I need to add proper unit banners to my faction?

OK, so I've got a serious problem.
    For the 10000000000000000000000th time, I've tried modding the files with various checking methods to see what's wrong. The system.log keeps saying:
    23:14:05.062 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 501, column 1
    Couldn't find region name 'zzz_Province' in stringtable
    23:14:05.921 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    I tried as many things as I could think of, and nothing. Can anyone bring me out of my miserable state?

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Post the code for your region that you have in descr_regions.tga.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    Post the code for your region that you have in descr_regions.tga.
    The RGB code? 36 255 255 . I put it in the descr_regions file like it says in the tutorial.
    Last edited by iudas; March 24, 2007 at 03:27 AM.

OK, so I've been playing around with the files and I think I'm closer. Now, it's:
    17:18:31.093 [script.err] [error] Script Error in MyMod/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 3323, column 12
    could not create settlement at script line 3323.

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Does line 3323 in the descr_strat.txt file correspond to a region you have set up? If so cross check back to the descr_regions.txt and check the name used in the strat file is identical.

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    Does line 3323 in the descr_strat.txt file correspond to a region you have set up? If so cross check back to the descr_regions.txt and check the name used in the strat file is identical.
    If only I hadn't checked thousands of times...
    Nevermind, I gave up, it never works for me.

Icon12 Re: How To Create A New Region

Is the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names supposed to be a .bin file? well, if it supposed to, i open it with Notepad and there is just some mess like this:

à  A c r e  A c r e
    A c r e _ P r o v i n c e A c r e R e g i o n

A d a n a  A d a n a  A d a n a _ P r o v i n c e A d a n a R e g i o n

And so on.

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

No you need the .txt equivalent. You amend that one and it creates the .bin file automatically.

To get the txt file download the .bin converter made by alpaca or download the text files that CA released prior to the 1st patch.

Alright, i done everything, but the province isn't in the game when i start a new campaign.

- The colour of province is unique
    - I have added the province details to imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt, descr_regions.txt, descr_sounds_music_types.txt, descr_mercenaries.txt and descr_strat.txt.
    - I have set all those .txt files back to "Read Only"
    - I have saved the edited map_regions.bmp as an .tga file with Irfanview and put it to mymod/data/world/maps/base

First i noticed that i didn't put those RGB numbers (Numbers at Hue, Sat and Lum) to descr_regions.txt, but i fixed it and still the province isn't there.

Xerces's Avatar Tiro

Terror have you looked at the system.log file to see what isnt working? Or is it that the province just isnt working, and the campaign map is loading anyway?
    "But sire, wont we hit our own troops?"..."Yes but we'll hit theirs as well!"
    "it's easy enough to say "wait for the patch" or "wait for modders," both of which have dramatically improved Creative Assembly's previous games. I can only presume that will be the case here, at which point I look forward to seeing how Empire: Total War turns out. But we review the games we're given, not the games we wish they'll become."

Founding Member of MTWII Modding Arts Inc.
    My How To Add A Region Guide For MTW2

Hello Xerces

New to the forums, Great Tutorial it was a lot of help. My province (Mistra) appears on the campaign map and loads up fine. However before I added more provinces I decided to test if it worked in sieges by assaulting the town versus a rebel garrison. (bad experiences from MTW modding!)

However as soon as the battlemap loads up it ctd's immediately and the log has the following message AND NOTHING ELSE:

04:33:04.718 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Do you or any other of the contributors to the thread have any idea why this error would occur and how I would go about fixing it, please help!

Where do i get irfanview?

can someone help me please? i cant find the folder: data/text

and it doesnt work:

17:57:56.529 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 1014, column 1
    Couldn't find region name 'Belgrad_Province' in stringtable

can anybody help me please?
    Last edited by selenius4tsd; April 11, 2007 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorge View Post
    Where do i get irfanview?
    You can just google it, and you'll find it free for download. The text folder is found once you use the unpacker that comes with the 1.1 patch.

Do you or any other of the contributors to the thread have any idea why this error would occur and how I would go about fixing it, please help!
    Did you remember to delete these files?
    data\descr_geography_new.txt
    data\descr_geography_new.db
    I forgot to, and whenever I engaged in a siege in my new region, it would crash just as yours did. I hope this helps!
    Last edited by Goatbuster3000; April 05, 2007 at 01:58 PM.

I have some problems with IrfanView.

I have done changes to the bmp.file, but when i try to Save it as TGA with IrfanView I get an error box that says:

TGA Save Error !
    Can't open file for writing: "D\Pelit\Sega\Medieval II Total War\data\world\maps\base\map_regions.tga"

What should I do?

So, you've opened a file, edited it and tried to save it as a .tga file? Or did you convert map_regions to .bmp, edited it, then attempted to convert it back? I'm not exactly sure what could be going on.

I got that problem solved. I simply named the new tga.file to descr_regions1 and then changed the name to descr_regions. It was quite simple.

Now I have figured out how to add units to new settlements. But I have one simple problem with that. How do you find out settlements co-ordinates?
    Is it X = pixels from left side and Y = pixels from top of the picture, and if it's not, How it is then?

Another problem is that how do you make new settlements to capitals of some factions?
    Does it work so, that you simply put the new settlement to Factions first settlement in the Descr_strat file?

Could someone tell me?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by HereticFang; April 09, 2007 at 04:16 AM.

Mangerman's Avatar Only the ladder is real

Quote Originally Posted by HereticFang View Post
    Now I have figured out how to add units to new settlements. But I have one simple problem with that. How do you find out settlements co-ordinates?
    Is it X = pixels from left side and Y = pixels from top of the picture, and if it's not, How it is then?
    X = pixels from the left side, but Y = pixels from the bottom up.