Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Create A New Region

Default Re: How To Create A New Region

As I said before i wanted to add a new region to Road to jerusalem mod .
    This means that i ve used the ''RTJ'' .cfg file (RTJ.cfg ) .
    I have NOT added any string into this .cfg file! What means this(?):

>>>'''Making that bat file (medieval2.exe --io.file-first) is good, it will make the game read the external (means your) files first.''

..Does It means That I need to make a NEW ,mine, .cfg file with a ''mymod'' folder ? Today i ve unpacked all the stuff and i tried to re-make all the process but,nothing..

>>>''Also don't forget to delete "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin" everytime you add or remove a city from it, so the game makes a new one with your "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt" file.'''

This is a file that the unpacker ''unpacks''(sorry for the repeat..) into the original data folder. Tomorrow i ll try to do this,for another time;i hope i t ll work..

>>>''Also did you delete the .rmw and .hgt files?''

yes..

Need I to make a folder called mymod and a .cfg with a particular string (like this: medieval2.exe --io.file-first) ??

thanks a lot ! !
    Last edited by -Euronymous-; January 03, 2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: ..

A mymod folder is necessary only if you want changes to be part of a different mod and not influence the vanilla maps.
    If you want to PM me and I'll help you setup the whole mymod thing. It's easy.

Now again, if you just want to change the original map by adding new provinces to it... well all I did is follow this tut and make sure the names are added in the .txt files.

I wouldn't work on files from other mods, but on original ones, to be sure nothing has been changed. So yes, I would unpack the thing.

Defender..
    first, i wanna thank you for your patience with me ..
    second , after testing and REtesting for another time,I ve decided to give up.

Damn...the only thing i can afford is to change the placement of a city..
    I ve tried so many things that now I don t know what to do;it s 5 intense days that I try to solve this but,nothing !

I ve aslo tried to unpack data folder and delete imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin..

Thank you for all the help, it s nice to see people help other people without interests..many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by -Euronymous- View Post
    Defender..
    first, i wanna thank you for your patience with me ..
    second , after testing and REtesting for another time,I ve decided to give up.

Damn...the only thing i can afford is to change the placement of a city..
    I ve tried so many things that now I don t know what to do;it s 5 intense days that I try to solve this but,nothing !

I ve aslo tried to unpack data folder and delete imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin..

Thank you for all the help, it s nice to see people help other people without interests..many thanks.
    Do you add these lines to the .cfg file?

[log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * error

Then you can watch possible error notes in "logs\system.log.txt"

i get this message in the end of a very long system.log (the other mess in the message doesn't seem to affect the game any though)

00:52:17.062 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 3886, column 12
    You are trying to place Karlstad in this region(Karlstad_Province), but it already has a settlement(Karlstad)
    00:52:17.062 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 3886, column 12
    could not create settlement at script line 3886.

Dont mind the name. historically incorrect or whatever, I am just trying to get the feel of this

So, I have doublechecked all the related text files and other files, only to confirm that I havent double written Karlstad anywhere.
    Can anyone give me a clue to what happend?

EDIT: sigh, wouldnt you know... double settlement post in descr_strat.txt. I can swear it wasn't there before... But oh well, IT WORKS!!!
    Hansen
    Last edited by MDHansen; January 04, 2007 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZadozTheOracle View Post
    Will wit work if I use Photoshop... For the Map editing
    Yup photoshop is ok, I don't use it, so I can't give technical help on how to do it. But once you converted your textures into dds (see download section for the converter) , it shouldn't be a problem

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

DefenderOfThe Crown - For straight map editing there's no conversion needed everything is in TGA files and not texture files.

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    DefenderOfThe Crown - For straight map editing there's no conversion needed everything is in TGA files and not texture files.
    Oops I melted both lol you're right ... the maps are .TGA files so you can edit directly in photothing

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Hi Guys

Well it seems as though something is missing from the decriptions and the tutorial that people who have a knack for this forget to mention. I have tried absolutely everything mentioned above but cannot for the life of me get this to work.

Can someone tell me where the string table is located? This is the error messages from my log i get all the time, no matter what province i create:

11:56:40.296 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 1014, column 1
    Couldn't find region name 'Munster_Province' in stringtable
    11:56:46.109 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

The Text file to which its referring is in DATA/TEXT its the one called

imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt I think its one of the packed files so you need to unpack to get to it or pick up the text files that were released prior to the patch. If you have already amended this then you have a spelling issue between that file and the regions file in the base directory.

Note there is also a .bin equivalent file which I think some people say you need to delete but as far as I'm aware they regenerate anyway but I normally mod using the mod folder option.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Thanks Wilddog..........thanks for offering suggestions.

No luck I'm afraid, I have to give up on adding regions....obviously I'm missing something!

>>>>imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt I think its one of the packed files so you need to unpack to get to it or pick up the text files that were released prior to the patch. If you have already amended this then you have a spelling issue between that file and the regions file in the base directory.

>>>>Note there is also a .bin equivalent file which I think some people say you need to delete but as far as I'm aware they regenerate anyway but I normally mod using the mod folder option.

I ve done this.. I ve unpacked all and deleted also imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.strings.bin ,but I ve encountered always the same problem. It s Obvious there's something that is missing in the tutorial; i can assume this because i' ve tried ALL the possibilities without success. Now i' ve just changed the borders of the regions and the placement of the towns(see 1),but Seems that i ve encountered another ,bigger ,problem :

-During my campaign(i' ve tried RTJ mod and,later, ULTIMATE AI..) seems that i m playing Medieval2 total peace..no wars ! also no crusades or jihads...

But,i remember, before changing borders (1: I ve changed just the borders near The Bizantine Empire and the placement of athens and ephesus..) ,with RTJ it was the best TW experience ever had.
    Last edited by -Euronymous-; January 06, 2007 at 07:51 AM.

You always have to delete the .strings.bin file before starting the game when you made a change, it indeed makes a new one, but with the new info from the .txt in it... else it will read the "old" .strings.bin file without your last changes.

Can anyone tell me how I could find the coords of my new settelement in order to set troops to defend it?

gladiatort's Avatar BamBimBangBam
    Lithuania/Litauen/Lietuva (LIE-TU-VA!!! ju sanava bych!)

coordinates are written whem you open map_regions by Photoshop or any athor, they are shown in X and Y

Member of B.A.L.T.S. Member of Lithuania Mod!!!

tnick777's Avatar Campidoctor

How do you create a brand new map.....

How do I go from...

To..

Last edited by tnick777; January 06, 2007 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DefenderOfTheCrown
    You always have to delete the .strings.bin file before starting the game when you made a change, it indeed makes a new one, but with the new info from the .txt in it... else it will read the "old" .strings.bin file without your last changes.
    Is this just tied to whether you use the --io.file_first option? Its just that I can't remember when I last deleted it but certainly haven't encountered any crash issues by not deleting it (I've only run through a few goes with my new map and the basic problem I had was when I had a base game but no heir).

So what does not deleting it do - this is given that very few of the starting regions are still in my map (ie only the British Isles ones).
    Last edited by wilddog; January 06, 2007 at 03:18 PM.

The Border Reiver
    What set up are you using just the mod folder or the --io.file_first option? If the latter there are a couple of files that need to be deleted but don't really know why.

I haven't really encountered many problems on the map but my modding of the map is primarily done using the mod folder option only (because its quick fro backups).

The string.bin doesn't need to be deleted. When someone is adding provinces to his map he should make sure that the string.bin is NOT in read only mode. Doing so will allow the game to make the necessary changes to the file every time a game is loaded after provinces have been added to the map.

Hmm. I am working on a NEW map but I am using the vanilla provinces and cities on this map. I am using the modswitch 'mymod'. While Ive gotten everything setup mostly correctly I've noticed that the strings.bin files are missing from my mymod/data/text folder. Is there any reason why they were not created (and how can I fix this)?

One other problem I have is that my campaign map does not load when I try to play the grand/imperial campaign. My map replaces the imperial... So is there something Im missing that is preventing the game from loading it (regardless whether it would crash or not)?