Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Create A New Region

finally someone answered me!thanks woodman_84

one final question,is it really necessary to create a modswitch to add a region,or you can use the .bat created for the unpacked files,the from the unpacker readme?

ok i had the following errors in me system.log.txt,hope someone can help me
    21:35:32.812 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 1015, column 9
    Couldn't find settlement name 'Guimaraes' in stringtable
    21:35:33.156 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_trade_routes.tga is missing
    21:35:33.156 [data.invalid] [error] Failed to open file 'data/world/maps/base/map_trade_routes.tga'

21:35:41.296 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

oks i give up i simply canīt create a region,i must be dumb as ass.
    for someone who might be interested in helping me i keep having the same error 22:13:50.875 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mymod/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 1014, column 9
    Couldn't find settlement name 'East Seaxe' in stringtable
    22:13:58.156 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Merged triple post. Please use the edit button next time. - Duke Godfrey
    Last edited by d.noronha; December 23, 2006 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Merged non-duplicate triple post.

Default Re: How To Create A New Region

Great tutorial, I've been able to add about 30 or so new regions perfectly. Now I'm adding another region, and when I start the campaign, it goes back to the single player menu. The system log just says

Code:
    20:58:32.078 [script.err] [error] Script Error in fixedmap/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2194, column 12
    could not create settlement at script line 2194.
    (line 2194 is the "region -regionname-" line of the settlement I added)
    but I've checked everything in the descr_strat and all the other files, deleted the map.rwm, and all that and it still won't work. Any suggestions?

DukeofSerbia's Avatar Decanus

Maybe you forgot to copy map.tga file or you put setllement in wrong place. That's happened me a lot!

I added almost 50 regions so far...
    United Soviet States of America
    form of government - financial dictatorship

Liberalism is a mental illness!

Hi thanks for this great tutorial. But I have a little problem, when I get at point 9, I don't find the "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt" file in "data\text", there's only a file named "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin", and when I open this I have a text file with a weird little square between each letter....!
    Do I have to edit that one?

Thx

DefenderOfTheCrown don't edit that file!!!! the .bin one. You need to download the correct text file and place it in the data/text folder, then edit it. Kscott kindly posted this url on the previous page, the text file should be there. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=72661

edit:
    and you do not need to delete the.bin file either, dont do ANYTHING to it, it really messed up all my work when I did it!

Hey guys have any of u added new provinces and stuff like dat without any other additions...could u put a link up to ur mods or sumting?I would like to see how its all done in a focused not haphazard way with too many mods added

Quote Originally Posted by WoodMan_84 View Post
    DefenderOfTheCrown don't edit that file!!!! the .bin one. You need to download the correct text file and place it in the data/text folder, then edit it. Kscott kindly posted this url on the previous page, the text file should be there. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=72661

edit:
    and you do not need to delete the.bin file either, dont do ANYTHING to it, it really messed up all my work when I did it!
    Thanks ... Btw, I finally figured it out with intuition and luck... means I might have been completely missing something here, but I found out you had also to add your new region in "imperial_campaigndescr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt"

Now, I got my new region! Thanks

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Can someone please direct me to the thread that tells me exactly what files are needed to create my own mod. I have followed the directions to this mod exactly but can't get it to work...I get errors as most of the above people have had?

I have found the download to make a mod....thanks anyway guys. However, it would be good if someone could correct Xerxes first post to make this tutorial actually work!
    Last edited by The Border Reiver; December 29, 2006 at 08:32 AM.

gladiatort's Avatar BamBimBangBam
    Lithuania/Litauen/Lietuva (LIE-TU-VA!!! ju sanava bych!)

Quote Originally Posted by DefenderOfTheCrown View Post
    but I found out you had also to add your new region in "imperial_campaigndescr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt"
    where is that file located?:hmmm:

Member of B.A.L.T.S. Member of Lithuania Mod!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gladiatort View Post
    where is that file located?:hmmm:
    heheh hmmm in fact is these files:

text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

imperial_campaign\descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt

i have one problem, maybe stupid will look but here it is: i created one region in italy, but i have CTD while starting grand campaign

these are two error massages after CTD.
    and one thing, i found this message:
    script error in .../base/descr_regions.txt, at line... Couldn't find region name 'Dead_Province' in stringtable what is wrong, i can't find any gramer mistakes nowhere :hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by gladiatort View Post
    i have one problem, maybe stupid will look but here it is: i created one region in italy, but i have CTD while starting grand campaign

these are two error massages after CTD.
    and one thing, i found this message:
    script error in .../base/descr_regions.txt, at line... Couldn't find region name 'Dead_Province' in stringtable what is wrong, i can't find any gramer mistakes nowhere :hmmm:
    I've never seen the first error you're showing...

Well it seems you forgot to add the province in some .txt file? When I had that, I noticed I forgot to add it to one of those files I mentioned above, those plus for the rest I followed the tut and it worked :hmmm:

Check out if every needed .txt file has your new province... or try to restart from scratch...?

Will wit work if I use Photoshop... For the Map editing

anyone has any ideas for first error message?
    in system.log says that "Couldn't find region name 'Dead_Province' in stringtable"

HELP! PLZ!
    Last edited by gladiatort; January 03, 2007 at 03:12 PM.

DukeofSerbia's Avatar Decanus

Did you have system.log.txt? There can you find what is wrong.

I have problems but never crashed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZadozTheOracle View Post
    Will wit work if I use Photoshop... For the Map editing
    Of course. But it is easier with Paint.
    United Soviet States of America
    form of government - financial dictatorship

Liberalism is a mental illness!

kleemann's Avatar Libertus

I use Gimp 2.0, and edit all thare. then you don't have to convert anything. Saved files are smaller but the game works. No problems so far..

I have these error quite often when i run the game. In my case it is not related to moding at all.
    Last edited by kleemann; January 03, 2007 at 04:44 AM.

Hi all,and thanks for the tutorial ! I tried to make a new region,following all the procedure,but it hadn t worked.

this is what system log shows :

Couldn't find settlement name 'Filippopoli' in stringtable

And this is what I ve done:

1:opened map_regions.tga and saved as bmp
    2:opened and edited my own city like what xerces shown using an unique color( just one black pixel on a plain terrain..).Then i saved and closed.
    3:added ''Filippopoli'' to imperial_campaign_region_and_settlement_names.txt and,after this, clicked with the right mouse button over the file to change properties. Set to ''read only'' option.
    4:added ''Filippopoli'' to descr_regions.txt setting the unique number of the color that i had chosen.(copy paste from ''athens'' with the unique number..)
    5:added ''Filippopoli_Province'' to descr_sounds_music_types.txt in the southern_european(byzantine ..) slot.
    6:added to descr_strat letting it be a rebel city
    7:added to descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup
    8:then i ve saved map_regions.bmp ,in irfanview as a TGA file,overwriting the last one
    9:deleted map.rwn and heights..

I HAVE NOT UNPACKED MY DATA FOLDER AND I USED ''theLongRoadMod'' data folder . Need I to unpack mine data folder with the unpacker?
    ''Using the modswitch'' means that i CAN T overwrite others modded data folders(like ''Road to Jerusalem mod'' or ''TheLongRoad Mod''..),and I need to create a ''mymod'' folder with data/world and text ???

Thanks for the attention,I hope that someone could help me. I wanna mod byzantine empire in a better way,adding real metropolis and balancing them better to overhaul byzantine experience .

TO ''DEFENDER OF THE CROWN'': Seems like a memory lack ! If I remember correctly this was the same issue that I had when I modded RomeTW with SPQR mod;it crashed because of a lack of memory (too low memory on my system). I Had 1 gb and, when I set 2 gb, I played without crashes !

hope it helps
    Last edited by -Euronymous-; January 03, 2007 at 07:24 PM. Reason: ..

Hello Euronymous

I had a similar problem. I suggest looking at your system.log.txt file, mine mentionned a province (an original vanilla province) with an invalid port. I proceded to delete the port and restart the game, and magically my map worked.

Hope that can help

The same problem is happening to me. Tried a lot of thing's no positive results. Sometimes shows me the same message "Couldn't find settlement name "xxx" in stringtable.
    I tried to add the same provinces that Xerces , in Ireland ( To avoid placing the settlements on forests or other things).
    But no results. I
    Ive attached my files. If you guy's could look them up. And see what ive done wrong.

There's just one little detail the tutorial forgot, if you follow it step by step, then when you finished, check out if the name of your new province is in these two files:

text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

imperial_campaign\descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt

Then everything should work!