Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.2 Overview & Previews Collection

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: 1.2 General Plans Preview

But moving the start date back would make Tylis a nation that didnt have any real settlements in its current area yet. AFAIK they didnt settle until later and therefore it wouldnt make sense to have them playable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    The general concept, though, is that units will be able to change between using spears and swords in combat (and the AI also uses this). The change for combat would be just like the difference between swords and spears now, so some units would become more versatile.
    Do you mean, they can use both swords and spears while in melee, or that you will decide activating a button like "drop the spears use swords". I would prefer the first option cause it's more realistic and the second one would sort of make units loose their identity..I mean, "I have a spears unit but against those spears but if I click this button they will use swords, so they are not spearmen now and they could defeat X unit bla bla bla", would add a bit of unnecesary complication aswell, imho

The other changes (if they are used) would allow units to have a feeling of mass and push against other units. So, as combat goes on, an elite unit may push the line (or hold the line) in a different manner from a levy unit.
    Great! This is certainly needed. Either with a button or with maximizing the effect of the doble clicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead*Man*Wilson View Post
    Hey guys,

Concerning Tylis; I realize things are still subject to change for the next release; but is the removal of Tylis as a playable faction a certainty? With the start year of the GC being pushed back to a time closer to the kingdom's founding; it would seem that they would be a bit more relevant as a playable faction with the upcoming GC than the current one. I realize Tylis didn't stick around too long and that the Scordisci had more staying power in historic events. I suppose I was just curious because I like their interesting starting position and current unit roster (despite the lack of cavalry options).

As always, thanks for the great fun this mod affords.
    Well, Tylis wasn't quite formed when we are starting so its a bit of a muddled start there. But, anyway, Scordisci make more sense for a lot of reasons. 1 - They are in Pannonia, no other starting factions there. 2 - it solves the dilemma of starting culture percentage in Thrace and 3 - they aren't that far away and are basically the same as the concept of Tylis so we can use their overhaul for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Do you mean, they can use both swords and spears while in melee, or that you will decide activating a button like "drop the spears use swords". I would prefer the first option cause it's more realistic and the second one would sort of make units loose their identity..I mean, "I have a spears unit but against those spears but if I click this button they will use swords, so they are not spearmen now and they could defeat X unit bla bla bla", would add a bit of unnecesary complication aswell, imho

Great! This is certainly needed. Either with a button or with maximizing the effect of the doble clicking.
    There would be an ability to tell the unit to switch to spears, which could be switched back.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Are there no plans to use the prologue campaign in this update? I would really like to see it used rather than broken from the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by skillfultree View Post
    Are there no plans to use the prologue campaign in this update? I would really like to see it used rather than broken from the mod.
    I can't find it anywhere in this preview, so no, there currently are no such plans. Although it would be cool to somehow use the prologue in DeI, the mod always focused on the GC and thus modding the prologue is not prioritized.

Many new things will be in 1.2 all of those will improve the GC vastly but also require a ton of work (completely new startpos just to mention one). Some understanding for that might be appropriate and surely will be appreciated.

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by skillfultree View Post
    This is on the drawing board, but considering the amount of stuff we are already releasing with version 1.2 it might come with later releases. There is currently no ETA on a reworked prologue. It will eventually (hopefully) serve as a tutorial to some of the different features like the Supply System and PoR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have a very early WIP version I was doing about ...a year ago? 6 months ago? I can't remember. Anyway, it will work as a tutorial for the mod but its a bit of a mess scripting it and getting around the existing stuff there.

We have quite a few things going already for 1.2 so that is on the back burner for now.

Ritter-Floh's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    You will see it works fine and it's much less strict as you think. Even with activated "use spears" ability, some warriors can use swords for close combat - but the percentage is low. As Dresden pointed, there is still a lot of testing and improving to make this feature finally polished, because it effects all units, not only the ones with the new behavior. Only higher tier spear units wear also some kind of swords or axes, that is why the more professional way to fight look very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Ritter-Floh View Post
    You will see it works fine and it's much less strict as you think. Even with activated "use spears" ability, some warriors can use swords for close combat - but the percentage is low. As Dresden pointed, there is still a lot of testing and improving to make this feature finally polished, because it effects all units, not only the ones with the new behavior.
    So nice willing to test it

Quote Originally Posted by Ritter-Floh View Post
    Only higher tier spear units wear also some kind of swords or axes, that is why the more professional way to fight look very nice
    That confused me...do you mean just high tier/elites will have this sword-spear combat? lighter troops also wear both weapons, at least hellenistic ones

Thanks for the reply

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Will barbarian axemen get the newer barbarian charge animation? The new animation only seems to have been applied to swordsmen.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Here is a WIP look at the new resource/regional buildings concept. Effects are WIP, Ignore build times they are for testing -

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Campidoctor
    Civitate

If you guys want you can make use of this graphic I've made for Meroitic shields:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Argive Strategos's Avatar Civis

For 1.2, can the Ptolemies have the Hypaspistai added to its roster? The battle of Raphia mentions the prescence of 3000 Hypaspists fighting for the Ptolemies.
    Also, what effects does switching from spears to swords give a unit? I assume the spears are better for fighting cavalry and holding the line generally, whereas swords are better against infantry and more attack then defense, leading to more kills?

Litharion's Avatar Artifex

Yeah, I have a very early WIP version I was doing about ...a year ago? 6 months ago? I can't remember. Anyway, it will work as a tutorial for the mod but its a bit of a mess scripting it and getting around the existing stuff there.
    We have quite a few things going already for 1.2 so that is on the back burner for now.
    The scripts required are time consuming... I haven't gotten time ....

You have more important things to work on, get back to the grind stone!!!

With the prologue I was adapting the existing scripts to use so it was going okay. I just got onto other projects.

Have you looked into bringing back captains like Ancient Empires is trying to do or is that just not possible for Rome 2? (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...lit-Army-(WIP))

If I understand the AI wouldn't use this so it would be a player advantage but its a very innovative and interesting idea! I hadn't seen it before. Also possibly not MP compatible.

I am not sure how it works within the army limit system also. Assuming it uses a slot, it would basically just be a system that lets you recruit generals on the march (which is cool!)
    Last edited by Dresden; August 09, 2016 at 02:52 PM.

Litharion's Avatar Artifex

If I understand the AI wouldn't use this so it would be a player advantage but its a very innovative and interesting idea! I hadn't seen it before. Also possibly not MP compatible.
    I am not sure how it works within the army limit system also. Assuming it uses a slot, it would basically just be a system that lets you recruit generals on the march (which is cool!)
    It is a general unit recruited with a different button.

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

With the cool roster overhaul/expansion of the Veneti, is there a possibility that they may be added as a playable faction in the future?

You can always use the all factions playable to play them. But most likely not, we already have quite a bit of work to flesh out the new ones for 1.2.