Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Football League 2016/17

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Default Fantasy Football League 2016/17

OK, renewed TWC Premier If anyone such as Gallus or Adar wants to post some fantasy guides that would be useful to us, please do.

Please PM me you team and I will add them here, but last years participants should be automatically enrolled. Anyone else want to join, please let me know, the code to join is 236769-75281

Ybbon - Steady Eddies
    Dude with the Food - Aguerosmith
    Tim1988 - Eagles!
    VinneNesteÅr
    Walking Kane
    FC Koseze
    Adar - Template Guide Team
    Adar - Gripen FC
    Fat Spanish Waiter
    Edse - Aland FC
    Omnipotent Q - Q's Vikings
    Petrucci - Second Chance

can the owners of the teams without their name just let me know by pm.
    Last edited by Ybbon; August 13, 2016 at 03:59 PM.

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Default Re: Fantasy Football League 2016/17

The new horrible website clashed with my auto login and I am currently struggling to find my proper account. But here is an updated version of the guide where I have removed all references to Newcastle players as good value.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Adar guide to team selection

Philosophy
    Fantasy premier league is about earning points, not creating the best team in the league. This mean that deep lying midfielders like Erik Dier or defensive centerbacks like Wes Morgan have a relatively lower value than more offensive team mates in the same position. It also means that it rarely is a good idea to recruit the maximum amount of players from your favorite team (teams performing above expectations such as Leicester is an obvious exception).

With a limited budget this mean that you need to keep a close eye on the value of the players rather than if they are good. This mean that a solid 4.5 M£ player earning 3 pts per game may be a bargain while a 7 M£ defender contributing to clean sheets is a terrible investment if he got cheaper colleagues that score also get the clean sheet bonus (along with bonus points etc). When I make my team I therefore strive to have 8-9 really high scoring players while the remaining 5-6 players are solid starters in weaker teams. This way my team will have 8-9 assured starters and then rotate the last positions between players with favorable fixtures.

Team selection
    I always start out by filling my team with "bargain players" and two "captains". The captain scores double points so it is necessary to have two or three reliable high scorers in the team. Then I try to load up on bargain players which tend to be the stars of minor teams. Darren Fletcher, Johnny Evans and Jermain Defoe are good examples of this category of players which provide room for maximising your number of heavy hitters while still earning a solid number of points each game.

This mean that you should have a lot of budget room to recruit the true heavy hitters that will earn you the majority of points throughout the season. Personally I find it very hard to find good star backs so my back line tend to be weak to maximise value in the front areas.

Player types to look for

Goal keepers
    There are essentially two ways to set up the goalkeeper position. High/low or low/low, high priced goalkeepers like De Gea or Hart usually score well and end up at the top of the scoring but they are also more expensive to buy. In previous seasons it have therefore been a good investment to buy two cheap (4.5M£) goalkeepers who can rotate instead. This year the low/low strategy has become harder to pull off as all solid starters are costed at least 4.5M£ and good defensive teams got their goalkeepers at 5M£. Getting two decent goalkeepers is therefore likely to cost you 9.5-10M£. Some players go for a star keeper and a non-starting goalkeeper costing 4.0 M£ but that is a risky decision as saving those 0.5 M£ very well may force you into emergency trades if the star keeper suffer a short term injury or rotation due to champions league. The current BPS system also tend to benefit goalkeepers who make a lot of saves which will benefit teams who concede a lot of shots but got a good shot stopping goalkeeper (which is usually the weaker teams).

Defenders
    There are essentially three kinds of defenders worth buying.

Weakest link players: The worst defenders are also the ones priced the lowest. Getting clean sheets is a team effort so paying premium for the best defender in the team is not worth much unless the player also is good at scoring, passing or getting bonus points. Just make sure that you make these buys in settled squads and keep an eye out for any break outs where new players are given the chance.

Attacking defenders: Some players are better than other at scoring offensive points. Out of position defenders are worth their weight in gold as they score 6 pts per goal and also tend to get very high EPI scores. But strong attacking players such as Toby Alderweireld, Branislav Ivanovic and Patrick van Aanholt can also make worth of their premium valuations thanks to their scoring ability.

Solid defenders: Some teams rotate their defenders more than other. Trading players can be costly so saving 0.5 M£ is not always the bargain it seems.The current bonus system also benefit defensive actions such as successful tackling and blocks more which benefits the defensive defenders.

Midfielders
    Selecting midfielders is a rather straightforward affair as a defensive player or deep lying midfielder almost never score enough points. N'Golo Kante who had a huge season for Leicester and played every game for the team only scored a measly 108 pts last season. So when looking at rotating midfielders it is a good idea to look at the most offensive 4.5M£ midfielders you can find.

The midfield section is also the category of players most likely to create huge bargains where 5.0-6.0 M£ turn into top scorers (like Riyad Miharez last year).

Forwards
    Are always a bit of a headache for me as the game managers tend to put a high price on any quality attacker. Therefore I tend to put my two expensive "captain choices" in the forwards category (Kane and Aguero last year) and then a third quality striker to support them. Last year Jamie Vardy had a huge breakout season so the third quality strike ended up surprisingly cheap.

Team management
    Overmanaging the team is one of the biggest threats to a coach. Knee jerk reactions to band wagons tend to cost a lot of points (selling price only increase by 0.1 pts for every 0.2 pts the buyer price increase since you bought him) so a well thought out team should not be changed too quickly. My favorite tactic on deciding to sell a "cold" player and buy a "hot" is to look at the EPI index. A player who have a 3 game points drought but retain a high EPI score is likely to hit his form again while a drop in the EPI score tend to correspond to new team tactics or poor player form.

Saving the wild card for April is also often a good idea as rescheduled fixtures and injuries can disrupt even the most solid team. The new chips may also be an important part of the game and you can read more here. The all out attack does not mean much unless you have a shortage of defenders but both the triple captain and bench boosts benefit a lot from being played on a week where a lot of teams play two games which makes it a good idea to save them to the spring when games are rescheduled due to the FA Cup, Champions League and the English inability to deal with even miniscule amounts of snow.
    I did however accidentally revive my old account from when I started. Instead of throwing away the effort I decided to keep the team as a "testing team" where I apply the basics of the guide in an extremely orthodox manner. I added the team to the TWCenter league but do not consider it to be "mine", rather it is a passive implementation of how the guide could be implemented in an extremely orthodox manner.

This mean:

• No management at all to avoid "over management".
    • Cheap defenders who can rotate.
    • Value options in the midfield.
    • Two star strikers and a cheap third forward.

The "template team" of the guide
    ---------------Heaton-------------------------- (Foster)
    -----Evans-----Pieters-----Friend-------------(Francis, Koné)
    Ayew--Arnautovic--Barkley--Sigurdsson-----(Tadic)
    ---Aguero (C)---Ibrahimovic (VC)---Wilson---

Obviously it will be hugely embarrassing for anyone beaten by the team as it won't be updated from now on =).
    Last edited by Adar; July 22, 2016 at 07:09 AM.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I don't really know how to write guides, but this are the rules I usually follow:

1) Pick players who will play. An obvious one perhaps, but by far the most important. No matter how good a player is, if he's not a starter he will not bring you any points, so make sure all 15 players you pick are starting. Unless you are deliberately picking one or two players who won't play to save money (a perfectly viable strategy).
    2) The only thing that matters when you pick players is their ability to score FPL points. What do I mean by that? Kante was one of the best players in the league last season, but he doesn't score goals or assists. His contribution is mainly defensive, but since he's classified as a midfielder he gets no points for that.
    3) What kind of players should you pick then? Simple - for strikers and midfielders, you should look for players who get in the best attacking positions. The players who get the ball in a good position are more likely to score and assist.
    4) But how do you identify these players? The best way to do it is watching as many games as possible. If you don't have time for that, stats are your best bet. Things like heat maps, shots in the box, shots on target, touches in the box and chances created tell you a lot about how a player plays and how likely he is to earn points. And whatever you do, avoid defensive midfielders.
    5) Spend most of your money on strikers and midfielders. A 3-4-3 formation is usually the best.
    6) Have the best player in the game (whoever you think that is) in your team. A captain earns double points, so the best way to earn points is to captain the best player in the game.
    7) Pay attention to fixtures. Even the best players may struggle against the best teams, and average ones may shine against poor teams.
    8) Rotate your defenders. Clean sheets are easier to predict than goals, so it makes sense to play the ones with good fixtures and bench the ones with poor fixtures. This is why formations with three defenders are usually the best - one or two of your defenders will always have a bad fixture in which they're very unlikely to get points. Goals and assists are less predictable, so strikers and midfielders can do well even when they have poor fixtures.
    9) Don't take too many hits. Every hit that doesn't work out is a hit too many, so take them only when you absolutely must (when you don't have 11 starters for example).

edit: I see Adar has beaten me to it And I must say that template team is strangely similar to my current team!
    Last edited by Gallus; July 22, 2016 at 07:18 AM.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Gallus View Post
    edit: I see Adar has beaten me to it And I must say that template team is strangely similar to my current team!

I was actually planning to let you write the guide as you are the reigning champion, but then I got a bit impatient =). The template team is my rough draft template. Basically I try to pick the most cost efficient defenders, the most cost efficient midfielders and two heavy strikers just like the guide says. Then I optimize it by up or downgrading players until I am happy.

It may seem a bit naive to provide such a guide to my competitors but my estimate is that there are 30-50 worthwhile players that all good coaches select between. Most likely you are already aware of all the possible iterations that I can come up with for an early draft. So providing the early draft does not help the top coaches but may help less experienced coaches to develop to make the league competitive and fun towards the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    It may seem a bit naive to provide such a guide to my competitors but my estimate is that there are 30-50 worthwhile players that all good coaches select between. Most likely you are already aware of all the possible iterations that I can come up with for an early draft. So providing the early draft does not help the top coaches but may help less experienced coaches to develop to make the league competitive and fun towards the end of the season.
    I agree absolutely. Like you said there are about 30 players I'm considering for my team, and until we see how teams will line up it's all a bit of a crapshot honestly. I currently have 7 players from your template and I'm considering 3 of those I don't have.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

I'll play this year although I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Can someone point me in a direction for joining up?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude with the Food View Post
    I'll play this year although I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Can someone point me in a direction for joining up?
    Nobody knows what they're doing until around September.

The league code is the OP, just go to "Leagues" and "join private league" and paste the code.

spy of the council

September? That's advanced level, I don't know until, oh, May or so!

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Alrighty thanks.

Ybbon, I've signed up as Aguerosmith for when you're updating OP.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

If its anything like last year, everyone will be using their first wildcard in week3 or 4.

Tim1988's Avatar Vicarius

I'm in as Eagles!

Really not sure about my team this year. Usually I have a couple of expensive players with almost guaranteed returns (the likes of Lampard, Suarez, etc. in the past), a few mid priced, but reliable players (e.g. John Walters in the past) and then a few cheap players from promoted teams that I think will cut it in the prem, but this year, there's just not many names that stand out for me when I'm looking through the lists of players in any of my 3 categories.
    My Old AARs:
    Uniting a Kingdom - A M2TW:Kingdoms Britannia Campaign
    The Greatest Battles of General Sir Lionel Townshend - A DarthMod Empire Campaign
    Tales of an Old Soldier - A series of DMUC Battles
    My Image Gallery:

edse's Avatar Domesticus

I'm joining this year again. Aland FK is my team.

Players are way too expensive this year. Don't you think?
    I'm struggling to pick a back line.

Civitate

Now my proper team. Gripen FC is in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chet Manley View Post
    Players are way too expensive this year. Don't you think?
    I'm struggling to pick a back line.
    I think the big issue is with the strikers. There is an abundance of players to chose from in midfield with virtually no assured big hitters, in attack the selection is far more limited and if you want two top quality strikers you will struggle to fill the rest of the team.

Civitate

So is everyone psyched up for the start tomorrow? Getting a solid team together this season was probably one of the most enjoyable challenges I have had. When I started it always ended up with a few big names and a supporting cast of decent players. But nowadays there are viable options in all price brackets which makes it possible to create endless variations. It will be especially fun to see what people like Gallus and Omnipotent-Q have put together this year as they had a very solid grasp of players last year.

I also hope to have some surprises in store with my own team =).
    Last edited by Adar; August 12, 2016 at 10:43 AM.

spy of the council

The last two seasons I have pulled the trigger too early on wildcards and clung on to some players too long. Last season I was doing really well until March and then it just fell away. Hoping for consistency.

I am in too, team name second chance. And I agree players are damn too expensive this season.
    Last edited by Petrucci; August 12, 2016 at 05:36 PM.

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I can already see it being a 12 point splurge in transfers game week 2 again. No Fabregas playing, every player way over priced. Especially up front and at the back. If my Gran was in Fantasy Football as a defender she'd be priced at least £6 million for no real reason. Wtf is going on!

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

I kinda nailed it and now I took the lead.

Great, I placed Aguero as captain but for some reason this website didn't register it leaving it on Stones. Not a good start.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast