Thread: Economy Help

Default Economy Help

Hello All,

So I started a easy campaign with Norway. Just wanted to start off with something simple and get used to some of the mechanics before increasing difficulty.

However, I'm having a really hard time with the economy. I have 7 settlements that I gobbled up from rebels and I'm barely making any money. I only have about 1.5 stacks attacking armies. And then a few militia archers and spearmen in my settlements as basic garrison. No more than 2 to 3. My Army up keep including Navy is only about 4000 (6 ships).

I've also read a few guides about M2TW economy. Getting as many trade rights as I can, building farms, markets, ports, deployed some merchants etc.

When looking at the financial summary I'm getting killed on WAGES, it's almost 4000 as well.
    Where do these come from? I've read it's generals body guards and agents, but I don't have that many agents. 6 total. But I do have lots of generals though. Except when I view the generals unit it says 0 upkeep. and my corruption is quite high over a 1000.

Any help, tips, advice is appreciated!

Thanks.

Default Re: Economy Help

Hmm.

Well this is an informal opinion, but are you Early or Late?

If you are Late, it may be difficult and take a while, but if you take a full stack to Rebel Constantinople before the Byzantines or Seljuks do...
    Hyrule: Total War
    Corcoro the Keaton Bomb-smith

the 0 upkeep you is the upkeep for the soldiers/guards, the family memeber himself also has an upkeep that adds up in wages

you can change these in "descr_character"

from what i see every family member costs 200 florins to maintain, so you must have like 20 family memebers/generals, that's like an full army of only feudal knights, no wonder your economy is bad

How many and of what size are your armies? In the initial stages, over recruiting can cause a severe drain on the economy. I've played as Norway in the early campaign, and have found it difficult to build a decent economy early on. Especially since you have to expand quickly to cut off Denmark out of Scandinavia. Try to streamline your armies, use free upkeep garrisons and turn down candidate for adoptions. Or... go a-Viking and sack and pillage over in Britain

Thanks all.

Yeah too many generals was definitely part of the cause. A few have died off and I committed some of the less loyal ones to suicidal cavalry charges. Plus I captured Kalmar and Lund, which helped greatly. Followed the looting\sacking advice too. This helped me build up more farms, mines, etc as well. And yes I was playing early campaign too, so glad I wasn't the only one.

Currently raking in about 5000 a turn now!

Cheers,