Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things (Season 2)

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Stranger Things (Season 2)

Meh. Looks like a very watered down version of the anime series Elfen Lied.

It has Winona Ryder, who afaik wasn't in anything after she was interrupted as a girl.

Imo the main antagonist is miscast, and his new hair doesn't quite cover for that

Anyone else watched some of the show? (i saw 2 eps).
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone watching 'Stranger things"?

Seen the full show, I liked it. (Winona seems a bit out of place, but has some good moments).

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

It was fantastic. Really not that similar to Elfen Lied besides a girl with powers escaping the government.

More of a tribute to 80s sci-fi from the likes of Spielberg, John Carpenter, And Steven King. Has much more in common with ET than Elfen Lied.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Watching STRANGER THINGS is looking watching Steve King's Greatest Hits. I mean that in a good way - Steven King.

I liked it. Ryder was good as the slightly unhinged middle aged mum. The kids were all pretty great, the rest of the cast were all good. They even managed to end it without making a pigs ear of it, which is hard to do these days.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Just finished the fourth episode and still loving it. I don't know how Hollywood is managing to miss casting great kid actors like you get in this show, but anyway, it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    It was fantastic. Really not that similar to Elfen Lied besides a girl with powers escaping the government.

More of a tribute to 80s sci-fi from the likes of Spielberg, John Carpenter, And Steven King. Has much more in common with ET than Elfen Lied.
    It has a number of similarities to Elfen Lied stuff:

-female prisoner escapes gov secret experiment
    -she is telekinetic and kills in that way
    -she is traumatised by cat torture
    -generally a weirdo
    -calls the experimentor as 'papa'/father; unceremoniously kills others but not him

Ok, some other stuff are not there, because JAPAN, and:
    -heroine in Elfen Lied is basically over-sexualised
    -nudity is a main theme of that show
    -gore reaching ridiculous splatter levels

I have to assume they were aware of Elfen Lied -- not that it makes any difference in how i view the show (i didn't particularly like Elfen Lied either, but for different reasons )
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    It has a number of similarities to Elfen Lied stuff:

-female prisoner escapes gov secret experiment
    -she is telekinetic and kills in that way
    -she is traumatised by cat torture
    -generally a weirdo
    -calls the experimentor as 'papa'/father; unceremoniously kills others but not him

Ok, some other stuff are not there, because JAPAN, and:
    -heroine in Elfen Lied is basically over-sexualised
    -nudity is a main theme of that show
    -gore reaching ridiculous splatter levels

I have to assume they were aware of Elfen Lied -- not that it makes any difference in how i view the show (i didn't particularly like Elfen Lied either, but for different reasons )
    Shes more like Alma from F.E.A.R, a shooter game from 2005. Alma is a telekenetic girl who was used by her father to turn her into a superweapon which could control minds. They kill her in the experiments, because thy realize she is uncontrollable, and Alma comes back from the dead and starts bringing supernatural things back with her from other dimensions.http://fear.wikia.com/wiki/Alma_Wade

However the things it reminds me of has not so far prevented me from enjoying it, as I think the monster is pretty original.

Last edited by RedGuard; July 23, 2016 at 06:26 PM.

Just finished it. Can't wait for more with the same characters (except maybe Nancy who was boring). The Duffer Brothers have mentioned in a few interviews they'd like to do a kind of Harry Potter thing with the show and watch the kids grow up with each season which sounds like a great idea.

brothers...

I'm surprised you went to the effort to make a thread about a show you don't actually like.

If you are surprised at this, then clearly you haven't been paying attention...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    If you are surprised at this, then clearly you haven't been paying attention...
    Indeed.

Lol I just binge watch it. I liked it, quite a lot. At least the story is well told, and in a smart matter. Different point of views, all interesting, that end up fusing each others along the line.

Nothing new, but always good to watch.

Indeed.
    Lol Kyriakos the man that is living in denial, of his plenty... and i mean many, many , guilty pleasures.

That is true

Don't mean to sound more megalomaniac than i am anyway, but virtually all movies/series look dumb to me, since they are of basic level next to my OSAM art

Anyway, come and see, Winterfell is mine.

The soundtrack/theme tune is SOOOO good. Reminds me alot of the Carpenter stuff. It made me especially nostalgic for this one:

I've watched 5 episodes and the story is very reminiscent of this narrative that popped up in reddit posts a couple of months ago. MKUltra, LSD, 'flesh interfaces', hints of other dimension and supernatural stuff. I'm wondering if they're linked in any way.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/9M9H9E9/wiki/narrative
    Last edited by jockmcplop; July 29, 2016 at 07:24 PM.
    “My grandad always said, "You should never judge a book by its cover." And it's for that reason that he lost his job as chair of the British Book Cover Awards panel.”
    Stewart Lee

That is true

Don't mean to sound more megalomaniac than i am anyway, but virtually all movies/series look dumb to me, since they are of basic level next to my OSAM art

Anyway, come and see, Winterfell is mine.
    Context mate. You should be able to enjoy all this things if you onlly you be able to accept , and apreciate the context in them. Besides some of this stuff its nothing to feel guily about.

the season ended on a weird note...but it seems that the Duffer Brothers have at least 4 more seasons planned so I can't complain. It was better than average tv, one of the better Netflix series for sure. Better than Hemlock grove imo.

Blog Entries

I caught most and a few not mentioned here......

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

I enjoyed it. The show is more like three different but interconnected series that coalesce by the final episode.

The Kids - Heavily influenced by E.T., Stephen King's IT, and Goonies. They have a lighter tone and some downright hilarious moments. "These aren't real Nilla cookies!"

The Teens - These sequences play more like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. Darker in tone and dealing more with angst and fitting in.

The Adults - Definitely more like Alien, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Poltergeist. The grown-ups have to deal with real-world fears of losing a child or resisting a deadbeat ex.

https://vimeo.com/175929311
    Last edited by IronBrig4; August 01, 2016 at 01:51 PM.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by IronBrig4 View Post
    I enjoyed it. The show is more like three different but interconnected series that coalesce by the final episode.

The Kids - Heavily influenced by E.T., Stephen King's IT, and Goonies. They have a lighter tone and some downright hilarious moments. "These aren't real Nilla cookies!"

The Teens - These sequences play more like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. Darker in tone and dealing more with angst and fitting in.

The Adults - Definitely more like Alien, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Poltergeist. The grown-ups have to deal with real-world fears of losing a child or resisting a deadbeat ex.
    thats actually a pretty accurate comparison.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast