Thread: I just had a play-through with this mod

Default I just had a play-through with this mod

Hello!

I got into Total War about a year after Rome II was launched, so it was pretty late in the Total War release cycle. I've been trying the older games, and I really liked them. I chose Paeninsula Italica II for a mod playthrough in Medieval II, played with Syracuse and yesterday I finally got my domination victory: hold Syracuse and destroy Carthage and the Brettian Tribes.

I must say that I loved pretty much all of it, except the end, when it was clear that I was going to win, and it was just a matter of grinding. Carthage's territory is huge in this mod. Sardinia, which Carthage holds, is about twice as big as Italy in Europa Barbarorum, for example. I actually got to hate Carthage at the end because they kept spanning considerable armies from Sardinia even when I already held a couple of settlements there. Taking troops with a navy from my new base in North Africa (which I held entirely before making the incursion to Sardinia) took three, even four turns. The map really is huge, and I love it.

I probably picked a faction that wasn't the focus of the mod, so that's why it got boring at the end. When I had to take out the Brettian tribes, that are in southern Italy, I had to fight a couple of big battles but I mowed them in about 10 turns, although I was by far the most powerful faction when I started. I also got a little help from the Greek Cities, which seem to have been at war with the Brettian Tribes since the beginning, although they were losing, and losing badly, until I got involved.

My only negative critic from one playthrough is that the settlements are not custom. Carthage's big cities, for example, look Egyptian, not Punic. That, sadly, is immersion-breaking, but I'm willing to give it a pass.

I'm probably going to make another playthrough with an italian faction in a couple of months. I also want to play Res Bellicae, which is a mod for RTW and has a campaign for roughly the same period. I heard it's a bit more polished.

I noticed that the forum is relatively dead, so I wanted to liven it up a bit with a new post.

Be well

Default Re: I just had a play-through with this mod

Even though I haven't played this mod in ages, it is nice to read somebody is still playing the mod with enjoyment. The map itself is awesome and I also agree that in the end, it get's kinda grindy - also because the unit variety is limited and units generally route rather fast.

If you really want to play with custom settlements, I would like to advise the mod called Roma Surrectum III, it's really awesome!

I thought the latest version of Roma Surrectum was Roma Surrectum 2? For what I see in their forum, it's like RS3 is a patch, although a big one, on top of RS2.5

They have made loads of (small) improvements, among them custom settlements!

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I think it's not completely done yet though? I might just wait.