Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So much AI expansion

Default Re: So much AI expansion

Aw maaaan is it possible to mod AI-personalities so as to be super defensive and/or only raid cities instead of capturing them?

You can change their occupation options for various cultures so they can't capture, you can change their personality/budget settings so they focus on building and not military, etc. But most likely that will just mean they get taken out by someone else

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Hi guys
    Does 1.2 do anything about AI expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by DesMarekle View Post
    Aw maaaan is it possible to mod AI-personalities so as to be super defensive and/or only raid cities instead of capturing them?
    Hi, I didn't see your response, because it came a few months after I was last active in this thread.
    The only thing I figured out to slow down the AI was removing the AI's ability to take settlements. You can have two mod files and turn AI expansion on and off as needed.

Best regards
    Last edited by CIaagent11; August 27, 2017 at 05:23 AM.

I'm surprised. I set up the occupation_decisions like this, still settlements are changing hands.
    Any idea why?
    I changed it in both the DeI pack and the CA pack.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	30 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	348078

If you want to actually remove their ability to take settlements, you have to mod the culture settlement occupation options table and use the vanilla version of the table. Delete the lines you don't want. Otherwise, if you want to set priorities you need to change some to 0 if you want to have them be rare.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

I'm hosting a complete overhaul mod for TW Warhammer and I messed around with this as well. If I were to make a Rome II mod in the future, I'd set it up similarly, and I offer this as a suggestion here:
    Minor factions don't occupy or raze settlements at all in the early game and only very rarely do so later on. Setting their task_management priorities so that they really badly want to complete provinces will have them focus on their "natural" area of influence and allow them to retake it should it be conquered, without subjugating all their neighbours. Since you can have every faction go through 4 different AI plans throughout customisable points of the game, I think some pretty neat ideas could be realized, where the germanic tribes for instance get "activated" at some point and start messing around after lying dormant for a long time, rather than gobbling up everything in their sights within the first 50 turns and leaving no fun toys to play around for the Romans arriving late to the party. I found that delving into the AI and adjusting it to my tastes unlocked a new level of enjoyability for Total War, as the AI was always always always what kept frustrating me in every single game of the series.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know what's possible in Rome 2, but I will look into it. I know nothing of modding the task_management priorities as of yet.
    Could you elaborate somewhat? What do you mean by minor factions don't occupy or raze in the early game? I often see minor factions with half of gaul before turn 50. and what was that about customizable AI plans? How would that be realized.

You might be interested in two submods, that carry this a lot further. Here and here.

I don't play Rome II anymore (but I might again at some point in the future).
    All the tables tarting with "cai_" are pretty interesting for obvious reasons. You can assign specific AI personalities to specific factions and you can tell them when to switch to another personality with the possibility of four different ones. You can fine tune task priorities for the AI quite nicely, anything from making them roam the whole map attacking everyone willy nilly or staying completely idle. You can specifically tell the AI not to occupy any settlements, etc.
    In my Warhammer mod, I have the minor factions remain pretty much idle, only skirmishing with their neighbours and trying to regain control of their home province, should it be infringed on. Major factions start expanding from turn 30 onwards and get more aggressive by turn 60. Some major factions even start aggressive (the Vampire Counts) so they pose a threat once "contact" is established while playing the Empire.
    I'm telling you, a lot is possible once you dig into the files, which are not THAT hard to understand either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123